Archived Sell, Sell, Sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got their TL reviews yet? No one in my store has got ours yet and in years past we had already recieved them weeks ago. I'm just curious because when I ask about them leadership seems to brush it off and not want to give anything concrete as to when I will get it. Just seems a little fishy. Thinking they aren't giving raises or something this year to TL to justify the minimum wage increase, and they are just putting off delivering them to avoid these tough conversations.
Mine was already on this paycheck

Our HR told the ETL’s the deadline to deliver all TL reviews was at the latest by 4-10 (since our new pay rate was effective on 4-7). I received a 3.5 % increase and the New rate is NOT even close to the 17.75 that has been quoted in other posts. I’m curious if the review raise is independent of the PG45 rate increase that is yet to happen or if the poster that quoted 17.75 was wrong ?
Team Member reviews are to be delivered week of 4/22. Told it is important that tm understand the review increases were based on performance level so that when the ALL 13.00 takes effect that that increase (or not) is independent of what they “earned” for last years performance.
So don’t worry if the review was good or bad. The 12.50 tm with a poor review gets no raise , the 12.50 tm with good review Gets a .50 raise. Then the ALL 13. Goes into effect: the tm with the good review STAYS at 13. while the tm with the bad review goes TO 13. Automatically. 🤷‍♀️
So it's all about semantics?

The 12.50 tm with a poor review gets no raise , the 12.50 tm with good review Gets a .50 raise. Then the ALL 13. Goes into effect: the tm with the good review STAYS at 13. while the tm with the bad review goes TO 13. Automatically. 🤷‍♀️
How motivating...🤣🤣🤣

I know this thread is a year old and there are at least 4 other threads of the same topic but Resurrecting this old thread because it is an emerging focus. Modernization is bringing the ‘selling culture’ back in full force, now for the entire store. The Next stage for a DBO is to SELL like electronics, beauty and softlines have been told to do. ‘Add to basket’ is not new but individual dept SALES people (like you’re on commission) is new.

So....what pressure have you received to SELL ? Can you do it ? Do you like it ? How do you feel when you are the shopper and an employee is trying to SELL you something, that you were, or worse, were NOT shopping for ?

Thoughts please, because we WILL be hearing about this a lot more than we will be hearing about tasks and processes. Focus on Sales numbers instead of work completion. A salesfloor tm version of GSTL ‘no tasking’ rule. So who IS getting the work done ?

Weird. Regular hardlines TMs don’t have their sales tracked. The only thing I’m thinking is if they’re doing sales observations where they watch you deal with guests and look for you to add to their basket but it’s not something that’s generally done with hardlines since we hate doing it why would we observe even more TMs
Times have changed.

I just did a bunch of training on selling. Looks like target is gonna start really focusing on each TM "making that sale". But you're supposed to do it in a way that makes it look like you're not a "salesperson", but a friend who cares about the things you care about, and really wants you to buy this thing because it will make you happy.
Bingo, we have a winner.

I know this thread is a year old and there are at least 4 other threads of the same topic but Resurrecting this old thread because it is an emerging focus. Modernization is bringing the ‘selling culture’ back in full force, now for the entire store. The Next stage for a DBO is to SELL like electronics, beauty and softlines have been told to do. ‘Add to basket’ is not new but individual dept SALES people (like you’re on commission) is new.

So....what pressure have you received to SELL ? Can you do it ? Do you like it ? How do you feel when you are the shopper and an employee is trying to SELL you something, that you were, or worse, were NOT shopping for ?

Thoughts please, because we WILL be hearing about this a lot more than we will be hearing about tasks and processes. Focus on Sales numbers instead of work completion. A salesfloor tm version of GSTL ‘no tasking’ rule. So who IS getting the work done ?
The pressure isn’t to ‘sell’. The pressure is to drive higher sales in your department: comps. If your DBOs are working end to end successfully, it’ll happen on its own. The new system, when working properly, drives sales floor accuracy, full shelves, current pogs, better zones, and TMs on the floor to help guest find things. That’s where sales increase.

Might be I even stop shopping at Target if I'm going to be walked from one department to another and have my cart filled with things not on my list. Ug. Any feedback from guests about this? I'm a list-shopper - have my list in hand, check things off, pay, leave. I don't want to make friends with everyone while shopping. (I sometimes shop at one of the other Targets in my area, haven't had this experience yet.)
And the one about the guest shopping for condoms - made me snort! I can think of similarly awkward conversations about laxatives and anti-fungal OTC products. Yikes.
Ya, there’s that. Can’t wait for the “feedback from the guests” that were delayed on their ‘Target run’ by an over zealous SALES person trying to SELL to them !

Ya, there’s that. Can’t wait for the “feedback from the guests” that were delayed on their ‘Target run’ by an over zealous SALES person trying to SELL to them !
My TMs are instructed to say hi to every guest. They don’t have time to further engage unless the guest initiates further conversation.

The pressure isn’t to ‘sell’. The pressure is to drive higher sales in your department: comps. If your DBOs are working end to end successfully, it’ll happen on its own. The new system, when working properly, drives sales floor accuracy, full shelves, current pogs, better zones, and TMs on the floor to help guest find things. That’s where sales increase.
Are you sure? I understand the process completion ultimately leads to increase in sales but I really have heard the ACTIVE process of UPSELLING not just making sure product is available to buy.

Are you sure? I understand the process completion ultimately leads to increase in sales but I really have heard the ACTIVE process of UPSELLING not just making sure product is available to buy.
They’re on crack if they think the former flow team pushing chems is going to say anything other than a grunt to guests. They’re also crazy if they think my kitchen person who runs a nearly perfect area is going to try and upsell people on bigger instant pots or fancier knives when they’ve got pogs to complete. I will not be holding my team accountable for car salesman type gimmicks, not when they already have almost too much to do. If the comps are up, that’s proof enough to me that they’re doing their part to sell stuff. If the comps were red, maybe it would be a different story

I agree. If the work is done then increased comp. sales should follow because the product is available to buy. However, our latest visit was NOT interested in process or task or metrics. The whole visit was solely spent watching and listening to tm-guest INTERACTIONS. A month ago we were told we MUST say ‘hi’ to every guest. That is being ramped up to ‘suggestive selling’ during the interaction.

I agree. If the work is done then increased comp. sales should follow because the product is available to buy. However, our latest visit was NOT interested in process or task or metrics. The whole visit was solely spent watching and listening to tm-guest INTERACTIONS. A month ago we were told we MUST say ‘hi’ to every guest. That is being ramped up to ‘suggestive selling’ during the interaction.

Today I showed a guest where flexible straws were. Should I recommend they buy matches or toothpicks?

Seriously though, I've never been in a store where someone asked if they could help me find something. At most it's hi. I don't think people expect or want to be 'sold' things when they come to Target. If they look like they know where something is I won't say anything to them. If they look friendly or confused or lost I'll ask them if I can help them find something. I don't want to be talked to when I'm shopping so I assume they don't either. If I need help I'll ask.

Today I showed a guest where flexible straws were. Should I recommend they buy matches or toothpicks?

Seriously though, I've never been in a store where someone asked if they could help me find something. At most it's hi. I don't think people expect or want to be 'sold' things when they come to Target. If they look like they know where something is I won't say anything to them. If they look friendly or confused or lost I'll ask them if I can help them find something. I don't want to be talked to when I'm shopping so I assume they don't either. If I need help I'll ask.
Me too. I LEAVE a store where the employee bothers me....get away or I will. I’m Not much for hand holding and will certainly NEVER be ‘talked’ into anything ! I get the ‘helpful’ employee thing but NOT the elite boutique make you buy stuff approach at a department store.

Also, I heard no more: “CIHYFS?” It’s too limited.

Hahaha, just when tm were finally comfortable saying it we are now asked to stop ! Hard habit to break now, say it all the time by accident. Oops.

How do you feel when you are the shopper and an employee is trying to SELL you something, that you were, or worse, were NOT shopping for ?
. I don't think people expect or want to be 'sold' things when they come to Target.
Me too. I LEAVE a store where the employee bothers me....get away or I will. I’m Not much for hand holding and will certainly NEVER be ‘talked’ into anything ! I get the ‘helpful’ employee thing but NOT the elite boutique make you buy stuff approach at a department store.
The two things that make me leave a store fast and empty-handed is annoying music and clingy employees trying to persuade/force me to buy something I don’t want or need. Target is a self-service store, which is fine with me. If it gets to the point where I can’t shop at Spot without having a TM shadowing my every move with a non-stop sales pitch I will shop elsewhere, period. Of course, that won’t happen because that type of guest service requires having more than one or two TMs on each side of the store who aren’t so busy trying to finish pushing u-boats to keep their jobs that they actually have time to notice that guests exist as anything but speed bumps in the road to finishing push on time. Target doesn’t have (or won’t give) hours for that. Bottom line for Spot, if you want people to upsell, give them hours and pay commission, but recognize the fact that some guests consider upselling little more than a form of harassment and will avoid Spot like the plague.

Last edited:
My area is shoes. I greet every guest and have no problem "selling" shoes. I would have a problem "selling plastic wrap and detergent" lol.
But we could mention the sale on dryer sheets or cartwheel deal on dish soap while we have them against the detergent wall.
Shoes are shoes, hard to sell 2 if a guest only wants one, but home commodities-so much to add to your basket.....did you catch the new ‘Welly’ endcap on your way over here ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back