Archived Selling Redcards as a cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott17

Cashier
So i have worked 3 days and each day scheduled i was assigned a trainer to be with me. But the 2nd and 3rd day i was basically on my own except when i called the GSTL for help with a couple things like using WIC checks (which is a bit of a pain BTW).

But i never saw my trainer sell a red card to anyone. I hear cashier offering to guests all the time, and when prompted on the monitor i offer to the guest also, but they all usually say no.

My question is what is the best way to offer the redcard to a guest and what exactly do you do when they want to get one? I understand that i scan the little pamphlet i have and then they have to press a few buttons on the card machine they use to pay and then i would just try to follow along the monitor or else call the GSTL if i get stuck.

I had one couple who seemed interested in the debit card but didnt have a check with them so i told them they can bring the check next time and sign up for it. I feel bad because i think i should have given them more information about it but i dont really know everything about it yet, i do not even have one yet.

Also how many redcards do you sell on average during a 4 hour shift? or an 8 hour shift? I have had 2 4 hours and one 8 hour and havent sold one yet.

also on an unrelated not, on my training schedule for the next time i go in there is a note that says "turn in warning plan". The W in warning is a little messy it might be Larning or barning or Uarning haha. but i am pretty sure it says warning, anyone know what this is?

I offer not only when my register prompts, but say when a guests total hits a certain amount (on a good day, $50, if I am having a bad day, I wait till the register PROMPTS me) I will ask the guest if he/she would like to apply for our target card... with this spiel...

"Would you like to open up one of our target cards and save 5% on all future purchases at target?"

If said guest says no, I say this...

"I know that you said no, but just to bring it to your attention we also have a target DEBIT (be sure to put EXTRA emphasis on DEBIT!! YOU WILL GET REDCARDS!) card that hooks up to your existing checking account, minus interest rates comparable to mafia loansharks"

^-that line alone has gotten me 7 in the last 8 weeks.

also on an unrelated not, on my training schedule for the next time i go in there is a note that says "turn in warning plan". The W in warning is a little messy it might be Larning or barning or Uarning haha. but i am pretty sure it says warning, anyone know what this is?

I am pretty sure whoever wrote that might have been thinking two things at once. Sure it is meant to say Learning Plan.

How I learned to get redcards... when I was new, I just asked the seasoned cashiers or the GSA's/GSTL's what their tips were... Trust me. If you cashier, you WILL benefit from asking the seasoned front end workers on their tips. They know what they are up to!

As for actually getting guests to sign up for red card apps, it is... rather hit and miss. I have gone MONTHS without having ANY guest at all sign up, then out of nowhere ill have multiples in a day... I went 10 weeks without having a guest go for a red card app..... then my next shift.... the entire store got 5 red card apps (the whole day, I work at a super... that's just f*cking SAD) and 3 of them were from me alone. and I wasn't even scheduled to cashier (I was a cart attendant that night lol)

I am pretty sure whoever wrote that might have been thinking two things at once. Sure it is meant to say Learning Plan.

Oh yeah you are right i can make out learning plan i guess although it is pretty messy. I am still not sure what i have to do for this i dont think i was given a learning plan to fill out.

Oh yeah you are right i can make out learning plan i guess although it is pretty messy. I am still not sure what i have to do for this i dont think i was given a learning plan to fill out.

Ask the GSA/GSTL who is working your next cashier shift after you clock into work. I am sure they might know what you are talking about.

I gather from your OP you are definently fresh meat to the grinder. You have most certainly had a learning plan filled out, not necessarily GIVEN to you. Hence me saying you talk to the GSTL next shift you work. :)

Always ask for redcards, even when unprompted. Sounds like you need to read to the cashier book again. Also, don't forget to take all the quizzes too. Your trainer or Gstl has your learning plan. Remember you are the last person the guest sees & talks too. Ask them to fill out the survey too.

Its learning plan. You will have to get with your GSTL and they will go over all your core duties for your position. It is Target's way for you to formally acknowledge that you know your duties and expectations, and received proper training in the process.

Make sure you go through it, and bring up any questions. If you just sign it without reading it, and you do something you didn't know, they can coach and write you up on the smallest things.

For the red cards:
Learn some of the benefits. And point them out especially to the guests with big purchases.
-5% off purchases when the card is used.
-Make payments at the store.
-Pharmacy Rewards
-Target will donate 1% of all your purchases to a school of the guests choice
-Credit and debit options.

ok cool. and if they decide to purchase the card am i able to give it to them right then and there or do they get it in the mail?

I like to open up with "Have you heard about our 5% rewards program?" I got that one from our STL actually. It provokes conversation, and may get them interested before they realize your just another cashier trying to push your stores credit card.

I like to open up with "Have you heard about our 5% rewards program?" I got that one from our STL actually. It provokes conversation, and may get them interested before they realize your just another cashier trying to push your stores credit card.

If you don't mind I'm going to borrow this? :)

If they're approved on the spot, they'll have a temp slip to scan until their permanent card comes in the mail.
If it "requires further processing", they can't get the 5% off today but it doesn't automatically mean they're declined. Sometimes there's been an address change or divorce, etc & further checking is required.

Remember the big 4:
5% off every time you shop
1% goes to the school (public or private)
pharmacy rewards net you an extra 5% for a day's shopping
choice of credit or debit cards.

Plus, why pay with cash when you can save 5% using the redcard? Just make your cash payment at gs, after I ring you up.

Slightly off topic, but you mentioned processing WIC checks. My Target doesn't accept WIC. Does this vary store by store or state by state?

Only super Targets are set up to accept WIC because they are classified as full-grocery. Other Targets are not & are prohibited from accepting WIC because it would violate a non-competition agreement with 'regular' grocery stores.
Your store should accept any other of your state's foodstamp programs, however.

Only super Targets are set up to accept WIC because they are classified as full-grocery. Other Targets are not & are prohibited from accepting WIC because it would violate a non-competition agreement with 'regular' grocery stores.
Your store should accept any other of your state's foodstamp programs, however.

Awesome, thanks for that piece of knowledge! I had no idea that any Targets accepted WIC. Now I understand it's just Super Targets. Yes, my store does accept food stamps with no problem though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back