Archived Selling Redcards as a cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only super Targets are set up to accept WIC because they are classified as full-grocery. Other Targets are not & are prohibited from accepting WIC because it would violate a non-competition agreement with 'regular' grocery stores.
Your store should accept any other of your state's foodstamp programs, however.

My target accept WIC. we have grocery, but it isnt that big and i didnt think we were a super T. does having grocery automatically make it a super T? Also i look on store search and when it tells me where the nearest Super target is it is not showing my target but one further away. Or maybe its just california always accepts WIC

Having groceries doesn't automatically make you a super T. Supers have full-sized produce/deli/bakery/dry pantry sections as opposed to a few aisles of food.
It may be allowed if there aren't any grocery stores near your store or if there is a waiver to the "non-compete" clause in your state.

Slightly off topic, but you mentioned processing WIC checks. My Target doesn't accept WIC. Does this vary store by store or state by state?
I was told at our store that the county didn't approve us for accepting WIC checks.

Are there a lot of grocery stores around your store? Is there a strong groc chain in your area?
That can determine whether the "non-compete" clause is applied or not.

All I know is that WIC sucks!!!

I work at a Super that accepts it and you get yelled at cuz you don't carry a 18oz size of canned veggies only 16oz and they have to go under the allotment... really its not like your even paying for the food, who cares about 2oz of green beans.

I work at a PFresh that doesn't accept WIC and I just get yelled at cuz we don't take em. I just really wanted to drag them to the front door and have them tell me what they see across the street... "Uhhhh, a grocery store?", "Thats right, and guess what.. They take WIC, so go be their problem!"

Yeah i guess my store isnt a super T but we accept them, and there is a safeway less than a mile away from our store so that seems close enough. Im not sure why we accept WIC but we do and i already know its a pain!

My score always goes down when someone uses WIC because i can only scan the 3 items at a time on their check, then i have to write the price down and put it through the slow check machine, and they always use about 5 WIC checks all in once!

All I know is that WIC sucks!!!

I work at a Super that accepts it and you get yelled at cuz you don't carry a 18oz size of canned veggies only 16oz and they have to go under the allotment... really its not like your even paying for the food, who cares about 2oz of green beans.

I work at a PFresh that doesn't accept WIC and I just get yelled at cuz we don't take em. I just really wanted to drag them to the front door and have them tell me what they see across the street... "Uhhhh, a grocery store?", "Thats right, and guess what.. They take WIC, so go be their problem!"

This^
My BFF works at a super & she absolutely loathes WIC because of this very thing. She says the people are always rude & angry that they can't circumvent the system. Hey, it's free food.

The thing about WIC and food stamps is that when you are living that close to the bone you are trying to get as much out of them as you can.
When I was hit by a car I had to go on State aid and it was a real challenge to feed four people;
We looked for every way to make our money go as far as it could.
However we were always polite to the cashiers and staff (they will help you find the best deals if you are nice to them).

Hardly anyone with WIC seems to be coming through my super anymore.. I miss it actually. Am I weird in the sense that I *liked* processing WIC transactions?

The thing about WIC and food stamps is that when you are living that close to the bone you are trying to get as much out of them as you can.
When I was hit by a car I had to go on State aid and it was a real challenge to feed four people;
We looked for every way to make our money go as far as it could.
However we were always polite to the cashiers and staff (they will help you find the best deals if you are nice to them).

I don't mean to sound like I don't like or don't approve of the system... It just irritates me when they are rude to us!!! Plus there was this one guy at a grocery store that I worked at that would pull up in his new Mercedes and buy lobster with food stamps... as far as he goes I would think that if he can afford a $50,000 car that he could afford his own groceries!! Once again not to take a blow at the people who actually need the support!

I don't mean to sound like I don't like or don't approve of the system... It just irritates me when they are rude to us!!! Plus there was this one guy at a grocery store that I worked at that would pull up in his new Mercedes and buy lobster with food stamps... as far as he goes I would think that if he can afford a $50,000 car that he could afford his own groceries!! Once again not to take a blow at the people who actually need the support!

Some people have figured out a way to cheat the system. That person sounds like one of them. I got them almost all the time at my grocery store job (thank god I was a bagger then. If I ever cashiered there, everyone here would have heard about the resulting incident on the news.)

There's quite a few TMs at our store who are on foodstamps.
Most are pretty savvy about checking the clearance endcaps & using coupons to squeak by. One of our market guys is great about spreading the word on any good deals.

If you don't mind I'm going to borrow this? :)
Go right ahead! I dont even use it, im one of those lazy cashiers who decline it soon as the prompt pops up.
EDIT: Well, at times anyways. Some days i will bust out 3-4 redcards(some days my store doesnt get a single one) and other days I will get discouraged and just give up. It just depends on the mood

I like to open up with "Have you heard about our 5% rewards program?" I got that one from our STL actually. It provokes conversation, and may get them interested before they realize your just another cashier trying to push your stores credit card.
Gtc to fly, red, cats & bull!

Last edited:
Sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time! Other times it's dependent on how you ask. There's a big difference between "Do you want to open a Target credit card" and "Would you like to save 5% today and every day by opening a Target Redcard?". If you explain the debit card a lot of people who balk at the idea of a credit card will sign up. Knowing the benefits of the cards also helps! I also am sure to tell the guest that they can stop by the service desk on the way out of the store and pay off what they just charged, and can leave without owing anything.

I don't work register but whenever I use my debit card I always say something about how great it is to save money every time I shop just for the guest behind me.
I've seen a couple of people apply after I did that.

If you notice that the guest is making a large purchase (ex. $50 or more), especially on big-ticket items (TVs, game systems), push the 5% savings benefit a little bit more. And tell them exactly how much they will save.

If you are prompted on just a soda or on TP, then just simply ask to meet your requirement.

My method would be to ask if they were shopping with the redcard. I can sort of feel it out on their responses how aggressively I can push it from there, if they have no idea what it is I will give a nice little spiel on the benefits, if they seem interested I mention it takes less than 3 minutes. Sometimes they say they will think about it, thats where I tell them they won't say 5% on this purchase if its a larger purchase $100+ My personal method, then again I can be fairly pushy and have learned when I need to stop, of course it's about finding what works best for you.

There's quite a few TMs at our store who are on foodstamps.
Most are pretty savvy about checking the clearance endcaps & using coupons to squeak by. One of our market guys is great about spreading the word on any good deals.

Those TM's are the ones that tell me when there are deals on Mt Dew!

Go right ahead! I dont even use it, im one of those lazy cashiers who decline it soon as the prompt pops up.
EDIT: Well, at times anyways. Some days i will bust out 3-4 redcards(some days my store doesnt get a single one) and other days I will get discouraged and just give up. It just depends on the mood

I'm that exact same way. But some days I just can't help *asking* for guests to apply..

It depends on the guest, too. If you can a redcard in less than 2 minutes, that can be the key to get it. I & gstl have system for actiOn plan for that. It works most of the time, our record was 5 redcards in 45 minutes, with me coming from sf. Gstl & I would a double team for redcard, & go from there. Partner with the gstl or frontend to help hit the numbers. Electronics, you better ask everytime you ring guests up! I do it on trees!

I've always thought that Target calling their debit card, a "redcard" is a mistake. I don't cashier, but as a guest, this would work on me.

"Would you like to open a Target Red card debit card and save $$ today and 5% on every purchase for life?"

This. Also, can you use your TM discount with food stamps? One of our new cashiers asked me yesterday and I wasn't sure what to tell her.

Warning: GSTL/GSAs do not like it when you skip prompts. I got coached once for skipping a Red Card prompt, and to this day, one of our GSAs doesn't believe me when I tell her I got a Red Card. Of course, after the coaching, I went for months without a Red Card (go figure), and I just started getting them again recently.

Use the right message for the guest. If I have a guest that is using a stack of coupons, I will say you know you saved quite a bit and you could save 5% more everytime you shop here. If a guest is using their own debit, I will say did you know that we have a debit card that works with your bank and ours will save you 5% every single shopping trip. A guest that is shopping with school age children, talk about TCOE. Let them know that they can log onto Target.com and see how much Target has donated to their school.If it is a guest with groceries I will say you know you can save 5% off your grocery bill each week. If they seem the least bit interested I will quickly add that it works with their bank,and the card is only good at Target stores. Alot of guests will say they don't need another card to keep track of and thats when I tell them the transactions show right on their regular checking statement. It really is all about the delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back