Sales Floor Sfs idea and tips

New SfsTL here, looking for input on how to handle all the random OPU's that pop up while dealing with Sfs #'s of 1000 or more each day.

I'm curious to see how other stores handle it.

What is a random OPU? Don’t they all just drop out of thin air?
Depending on SFS numbers and frequency of OPUs my strategy is constantly evolving, so should yours.

These "random" Order pickup and driveups will kill your team's efficiency. I have found that if I assign one TM to do the all the pickup/driveup orders, then the rest of the team can concentrate on SFS orders. It will take a very good TM to do this, and during back to school time, probably two devices but it can be done. If they have down time, I prefer they stay on the floor and zone or do reshop, something they can easily walk away from every time an order drops. They could pack if you are not busy with orders, but when I assign one person to do this, there is just too many wasted steps back and forth to the SFS pack station and they would be more efficient doing those things on the floor. And for those big 60 item orders, they just ask for assistance from the team. If corporate would just increase the pick on time goal back to one hour, we would probably never miss a goal during the day. Most guests don't pick up their order for a day or two or three so there would be no impact on the guest. Now, as the opener, and I come in to 150 items waiting to be picked first thing in the morning and have a little over an hour to do them, that is not happening. Nothing I can do, Just get them all picked as soon as I can, no INF's and most are happy.

To add onto @Flow Trainer's post,

Make sure you know your team. Whose the best at what, and try to avoid whom is the weakest at what. It will help to train to fix weaknesses, but it depends if the team gets properly scheduled to accomodate for it.

Never delegate the whole team to OPUs, they are your resource and time can fly fast. You don't want deadline to creep up on you and most of the team already went home.

Make sure everyone get their 15s and 30s, and space them out so not everyone is sitting in the breakroom. Larger teams might be better going in pairs, but all stores are not the same.

Thanks for the info, our numbers have jumped and I walked into 770ish ships, we've been doubling our numbers the last few days so I finally feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I have designated 1 tm for the opu but they still seem to cut into the day.

Thankfully I have a good management team behind me who's throwing a lot of help to my team, it's been a crazy few days!!!

I can't figure out how to increase how many orders we get for sfs.... Green all metrics, pick day and night. We are at the point by noon today, tomorrow had closed, and we were building Thursdays batch.....

I can't figure out how to increase how many orders we get for sfs.... Green all metrics, pick day and night. We are at the point by noon today, tomorrow had closed, and we were building Thursdays batch.....

It's not decided by you. It's a corporate thing. It's mostly based on cost efficiency (how/where to ship it from to save the most money) and based upon a store's inventory and while taking into account what your SFS is built to handle. How many pack stations do you have? Let's say it's 3. Anything above 400 would be insane because your store is not set-up to handle that volume.

SFS is actually pretty complicated and the algorithms they use.

We have 4 pack stations and we have been barely getting more than 50 orders a day. Our metrics are all green-Its dumb. Esp when i hear of stores getting so many orders they cant fulfill them all. We were getting a lot more orders too and on track to up them, which is why they added stations. Dunno why they changed plans.

It's not decided by you. It's a corporate thing. It's mostly based on cost efficiency (how/where to ship it from to save the most money) and based upon a store's inventory and while taking into account what your SFS is built to handle. How many pack stations do you have? Let's say it's 3. Anything above 400 would be insane because your store is not set-up to handle that volume.

Supposedly the faster you pack they’ll drop some more in throughout the day if they believe you can achieve the deadline with extra units. My DSD tried explaining it to me but he seemed just as confused as I was

We are forecasted 150 a day, 3 pack stations.. We get shut off every time we go 10% over forecast. Just not fair when we can handle so much more.

We have three( with one of those three down because the tape machine is borked) and have been averaging 400-600 a day since bts started. I don’t even work sfs and get called back to help pick things.

You guys are all forgetting that it's BTS time. All stores are doing way more now if you go by units because of all those damn colored folders we have to pick. lol

For May-July my store averaged about 1500 units per day with 6 packing stations including a conveyor belt. We don't ever get capped although there are cutoff times for each day before it starts to roll over into the next.

My District Logistics lead (don't know if that's there actual title) told me that the software that determines if you can handle more orders only reads info from epick. Despite Spot having apps like Pack and Ship that say specifically when something has been packed and sorted. The software that determines when something is finished just sees epick say "batch complete" and assumes it's packed and on the dock ready to go. This is why it's so important for larger volume SFS stores to not fall behind on their packing. Because if you get too far ahead with the picking they will dump a good 200 units on you ten minutes before cut-off.

What’s everyone’s routine around Pick and pack for SFS?

Does everyone do one dedicated packer and prep persons and everyone else picks? Or does anyone have a different routine around it

What’s everyone’s routine around Pick and pack for SFS?

Does everyone do one dedicated packer and prep persons and everyone else picks? Or does anyone have a different routine around it

Back