Archived SFT interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going from sales floor to SFT. Spoke to DFM, got blessing from ETL and TL in my work center. Was advised to study for interview by looking up questions on net. Any current SFTs have any input or insights they can share?

I think SbS is taking a vacation from the board after an unfortunate altercation.

I'll check out the TL interview guides. However, I would assume that the interview questions would be about examining the level of mechanical ability, the depth of understanding with respect building systems. (HVAC, electrical, etc)

Not only that, but the ability to repair or perform preventive maintence on the machines used by backroom; troubleshooting + diagnostic skills when equipment breaks down -- to a certain point before a contractor is called.

Was informed that SFT is also in charge of the cleaning crew as well. So I could see why it would be interview questions with respect to a TL role. But I'd think SFT is a bit more of a.. technical position.

Either way, I spoke to SFT at store today and asked him if he enjoyed his work. He said, "I used to in the past. But nowadays, it seems to be less wrench turning while doing more paperwork, dealing with contractors and speaking target lingo."

Been thinking about going for SFT for a few months now. My store SFT informed me of an opening 1-2 ago and that I should try for it. Plus, it pays a better wage than what I earn now, It Includes regular hours and it doesn't fluctuate depending on sales to payroll ratios. N09 is okay but making 17.50/hr using my past skills/knowledge from 8 years of working construction and lifelong ability to tinker with and fix malfunctioning machinery seems like a no brainer to go for.

Depending on how your district does things, you may be working in multiple stores. The SFT at my store also works in a few other stores and he gets his hours from the district rather than from the stores.

Also, communication is key. You would have to keep up with TLs, ETLs, STLs, your DFM, plano team, and signing TMs.

Depending on how your district does things, you may be working in multiple stores. The SFT at my store also works in a few other stores and he gets his hours from the district rather than from the stores.

Also, communication is key. You would have to keep up with TLs, ETLs, STLs, your DFM, plano team, and signing TMs.

That would be awesome and I would enjoy doing that. Communication plays a very important part in my current role as a PA, ensuring that market is driving sales, meeting high quality standards and successful.

If assigned to multiple stores, or assigned to one and going to other stores within district -- I would love going to my job every day since it would always be different.

My SFT tried to convince me to apply for one of a few openings awhile back. Sr. TL pay, 6-230 workday. Weekends/holidays off. No major technical skills required.

I thought about it briefly.

Same questions as a TL. They are unconcerned how about your trade skills, but more on your organizational, leaderships skills. You will be directing outside vendors and following up on their work.

I've been asked numerous times to apply, but I don't wanna build gondolas!! LOL!

Ha, I've considered applying as well. However, I have no desire to leave my store, and while I am fine building gondolas - it's all the plumbing issues, I'd rather not deal with.

Great job to have ...several years ago. Now, less so. As others have pointed out, the amount of paperwork seems to be getting out of control (as of a couple months ago when I quit, anyway). My SFT was constantly complaining about how much planning/scheduling/followup he was being asked to do--to the level of having a detailed daily calendar for every task he had to do, which he then had to copy onto a paper daily checklist to carry around at all times, which he then had to copy back into the calendar at the end of each shift in order to "keep track of things"--as if he was unable to keep track of things any other way. DFM walks became less about seeing if the bathrooms were in good working order and more about seeing if the SFT had kept an accurate log of how many minutes he spent on the phone with the plumber each day, etc. All in line with the shift the rest of the company seems to be making toward a "form over function" philosophy, business sense be damned.

(That being said--if it's a pay raise, go for it. Even knowing the direction things were going, I would have applied for the position if it was in my best financial interests; it just never really was.)

Great job to have ...several years ago. Now, less so. As others have pointed out, the amount of paperwork seems to be getting out of control (as of a couple months ago when I quit, anyway). My SFT was constantly complaining about how much planning/scheduling/followup he was being asked to do--to the level of having a detailed daily calendar for every task he had to do, which he then had to copy onto a paper daily checklist to carry around at all times, which he then had to copy back into the calendar at the end of each shift in order to "keep track of things"--as if he was unable to keep track of things any other way. DFM walks became less about seeing if the bathrooms were in good working order and more about seeing if the SFT had kept an accurate log of how many minutes he spent on the phone with the plumber each day, etc. All in line with the shift the rest of the company seems to be making toward a "form over function" philosophy, business sense be damned.

(That being said--if it's a pay raise, go for it. Even knowing the direction things were going, I would have applied for the position if it was in my best financial interests; it just never really was.)

I have no problem with the paperwork. My store SFT said same thing to me last week about the same thing. Honestly, going from 10/hr to 17.50? I'll deal with paperwork and keep written logs of everything I do.

It is in my financial interest to go for the position, plus it would be a consistent schedule that doesn't depend on sales to payroll ratios. Nor would I have to deal with over zealous ETLs chopping an hour off here and there so they can get their bonuses. It's ridiculous, I wind up staying 30 or more mins past my end scheduled time anyway.

That said, I have the TL interview guides / question samples. Thanks for your input.

Cool, this definitely sounds like the right move for you. Good luck!

Good luck.
Sounds like a great fit, I'm sure you will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back