Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a "guest" try and return 4 pairs of $200 beats a Playstation VR and a Samsung tablet last night with no receipt and she paid with cash. I called AP to the desk who told her no but she wasn't having that, so my LOD came to the desk and said the same thing. The guest was on the phone with guest relations the whole time claiming they said she could return it all (well over $1,200) and get cash back. Finally after about 30 minutes of arguing with her, she left. My LOD called every store within 30 miles of us to warn them of her. Hate this time of year with returns.

Had a "guest" try and return 4 pairs of $200 beats a Playstation VR and a Samsung tablet last night with no receipt and she paid with cash. I called AP to the desk who told her no but she wasn't having that, so my LOD came to the desk and said the same thing. The guest was on the phone with guest relations the whole time claiming they said she could return it all (well over $1,200) and get cash back. Finally after about 30 minutes of arguing with her, she left. My LOD called every store within 30 miles of us to warn them of her. Hate this time of year with returns.

Let me guess, she paid all cash and wanted it all back in cash?

So she said.
I'd say "Prove it." or I would've asked to speak to the guest relations rep she claimed to be talking to.
I'd have called that bluff quick.

So she said.
I'd say "Prove it." or I would've asked to speak to the guest relations rep she claimed to be talking to.
I'd have called that bluff quick.

I like to ask them if they "purchased" their items at our store and usually they say no at the location a few towns over. I say Oh, then you have to return them at the other location, I can tell them you are on the way and they will review the cameras to look up the purchase. Makes a lot of them go away quickly and we notify the other stores.

I like to ask them if they "purchased" their items at our store and usually they say no at the location a few towns over. I say Oh, then you have to return them at the other location, I can tell them you are on the way and they will review the cameras to look up the purchase. Makes a lot of them go away quickly and we notify the other stores.
That is exactly what happened. She said she purchased them all 2 days before Christmas at the store in the next town over. She wouldn't take no for an answer so she eventually left to go try and return at the neighboring store, however we had already alerted the other store and about 5 others what she was trying to do.

I had a shady guest attempt a return with no receipt and says her mom "paid cash," she had a bunch of HBA items and told her there's a limit and I can only do so much. She got mad so I told her, I can return what I'm allowed to or you can leave and try at another store. She asked what if she does multiple transactions with her ID. After I said no and returned what I could she gave her ID to her niece and thought I didn't see. I grab the ID and see it's the same ID I JUST used and then...

Me: Ma'am, I already tried with your ID.
Guest: What? That's not my ID, that's hers. We don't even look the same.
Me: Ma'am, this is your ID. I JUST saw you give it to her.
Guest: You're wrong. I didn't do anything.
Me: Alright, just to confirm, may I see YOUR ID then. (as I'm holding her "niece's ID")
Guest: ...
Me: Here are your items, have a great day. I can help the next guest over here.

I usually don't call them out on it but I just had to with this one. Oh and once with a guest who was returning with a stolen ID! Asked them for their full name and they literally responded with "I don't know..."

I've also gotten a few people returning with several torn receipts all paid with a different debit card. And another with a receipt full of Cat and Jack but all the items they were returning were off by a number DPCI wise. All the right designs and everything, just wrong size. Figured they were just searching the name on the website.

I don't mind when people try to scam us but at least don't treat us like we're idiots. I'm tempted to go through with the creative scams though but prefer not to. Lol

Last edited:
I had a shady guest attempt a return with no receipt and says her mom "paid cash," she had a bunch of HBA items and told her there's a limit and I can only do so much. She got mad so I told her, I can return what I'm allowed to or you can leave and try at another store. She asked what if she does multiple transactions with her ID. After I said no and returned what I could she gave her ID to her niece and thought I didn't see. I grab the ID and see it's the same ID I JUST used and then...

Me: Ma'am, I already tried with your ID.
Guest: What? That's not my ID, that's hers. We don't even look the same.
Me: Ma'am, this is your ID. I JUST saw you give it to her.
Guest: You're wrong. I didn't do anything.
Me: Alright, just to confirm, may I see YOUR ID then. (as I'm holding her "niece's ID")
Guest: ...
Me: Here are your items, have a great day. I can help the next guest over here.

I usually don't call them out on it but I just had to with this one. Oh and once with a guest who was returning with a stolen ID! Asked them for their full name and they literally responded with "I don't know..."

I've also gotten a few people returning with several torn receipts all paid with a different debit card. And another with a receipt full of Cat and Jack but all the items they were returning were off by a number DPCI wise. All the right designs and everything, just wrong size. Figured they were just searching the name on the website.

I don't mind when people try to scam us but at least don't treat us like we're idiots. I'm tempted to go through with the creative scams though but prefer not to. Lol
I really hate "guests" like this, especially this time of year. I really don't have the time to be dealing with them. They are wasting my time and stealing from ys.

Had one person try to return 2 TV wall mount RS worth over $350 and try two Id's. Got his address, name and such for AP use. Pretty sure they were stolen right off the shelf and brought up front. He was denied, and after explaining he asked why we sell items over the return limit

Good story:
I returned some socks & hand wrote the dpci on the item. My mom didn't like them & threw away the tag. I had a red card & receipt:)

I had a guest try to return Beats headphones.

It had already been refunded. There were staples in the receipt-which made me think she had come in and received a price adjustment at one time or another.

After thoroughly explaining that the original receipt was no longer valid if she ever got an adjustment and we needed that receipt (she paid cash) to process the return, she threw a fit and a half. Her ID was maxed.

I refused it.

Then another guest tried the exact same thing with some video games. He literally pulled off the price adjustment receipt before he gave me the receipt.

I refused that one too.

And another with a receipt full of Cat and Jack but all the items they were returning were off by a number DPCI wise. All the right designs and everything, just wrong size.
I had a mom that was attempting to return several girls' 2-pc swimsuits.
She'd bought each style in two sizes but I rejected her return because she was returning only one set of each but the pieces were mismatched; she was trying to custom-fit her daughter by top & bottom.
She said "Oh! I must've grabbed the wrong pieces. You can't return them?"
No ma'am, because we can't SELL them that way.

I had a mom that was attempting to return several girls' 2-pc swimsuits.
She'd bought each style in two sizes but I rejected her return because she was returning only one set of each but the pieces were mismatched; she was trying to custom-fit her daughter by top & bottom.
She said "Oh! I must've grabbed the wrong pieces. You can't return them?"
No ma'am, because we can't SELL them that way.

Props to you for actually checking the top and bottom to see if they go together. Not sure many at my store would do that.

Today was " Its snowing so lets do shady returns" day. This lady bought some clothes back in November. Wore themand washed the crap out of them. Then returned them and said they were too small. This was just a sample platter of the returns. We had another one lead to an apprehension but move over grandma lost my receipts because " I never shop here" is taking over. Really never shop here then why wont it let me do your return? o_OScreen says return capabilities exceeded. Never shop here, huh?

One thing I wish the pos would let us do though is No Receipt Even Exchanges. I always feel so bad when I let the guest know they have to pay a difference. There have been a few times where I just change the price of the size they actually want but I feel like I'll get in trouble.

We've had people try and bring stuff back to pharmacy too, saying GS told them if they purchased it in pharmacy, they have to return it to pharmacy. For one, we don't ring out ANYTHING that would be spider wrapped because we can't remove them. Second, we've been told by GS to send them all up front.

Just a quick question on the topic. is there a way to only defect one item in a mass return, or does the POS auto-defect everything once one thing has defected? It was strange to me when I defected something and had all other items automatically defected.

Or the opposite, if someone returned a shirt, for example, and an item that needs to be defected, how do you do that. It seems that the POS only askes once, and assumes everything else is either defected or not defected.

When you scan items AFTER the defective one, there should be a K-key option that says 'not defective'.

I had a guest try to return Beats headphones.

It had already been refunded. There were staples in the receipt-which made me think she had come in and received a price adjustment at one time or another.

After thoroughly explaining that the original receipt was no longer valid if she ever got an adjustment and we needed that receipt (she paid cash) to process the return, she threw a fit and a half. Her ID was maxed.

I refused it.

Then another guest tried the exact same thing with some video games. He literally pulled off the price adjustment receipt before he gave me the receipt.

I refused that one too.

I use a highlighter to highlight any items where I adjusted prices or manually applied a missed cartwheel. I'll even write "price adjusted" or "manual cartwheel" with our store number next to it so that the receipt can't be taken to a neighboring store. THEN I staple the adjustment receipt to the top.

Just a quick question on the topic. is there a way to only defect one item in a mass return, or does the POS auto-defect everything once one thing has defected? It was strange to me when I defected something and had all other items automatically defected.

Or the opposite, if someone returned a shirt, for example, and an item that needs to be defected, how do you do that. It seems that the POS only askes once, and assumes everything else is either defected or not defected.
I've never had this happen. If you say the first item is defective you can defect it out, when the other items come up you can hit the K1 button and say it is not defective. for each item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back