Archived Shift Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is shift differential and when is it earned? I've been at Target 4 years, and never knew, nobody in my store (not even HR or a 13 year ETL can tell me what it is or how it's earned)

Now I have been told by HR and said ETL it's if you work before 8am or after midnight you get an extra dollar per hour. I'm a GSA, my shifts are either 7am-430pm, or 330-1am, so 7-8 I was told I get it and 12am-1am I was told I get it. So this week I had three 7am shifts and 2 closing shifts till 1am, but I checked my paystub and have 14.89 hours if shift differential. This is the part nobody from HR or any ETL could answer. I'm not complaining, but I should have 5 hours of differential (7am-8am three times, and 12am-1am two times) if what the say is how it actually is paid out. Why do i always get more than this? (One week recently I had 24 hours of it in my paycheck and I don't know how)

How exactly is it paid? I've had cashiers recently ask what it was and as a 4 year veteran and 3 year GSA I feel ridiculous not knowing the answer. How exactly is this paid?

Attachments

• 20171121_050538.png
    20171121_050538.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 65
I thought it was given if you work 3+ hours before store open. I only receive it when I come in at 5am or earlier.

Last edited:
61C6EFC1-F93D-4054-B6E5-69EC8453666A.jpeg If you work from 10pm-8am for at least 3 hours, you will receive shift diffentrial for those hours worked between 10pm-8am. If you start your shift 7am, you won’t get shift differential. Your 330pm-1am shift should get 3 hours of shift differential (10pm-1am) but not entirely sure because it was mostly a day shift. HR posted these flyers in the break room. I’m in California if it makes a difference.

View attachment 4242 If you work from 10pm-8am for at least 3 hours, you will receive shift diffentrial for those hours worked between 10pm-8am. If you start your shift 7am, you won’t get shift differential. Your 330pm-1am shift should get 3 hours of shift differential (10pm-1am) but not entirely sure because it was mostly a day shift. HR posted these flyers in the break room. I’m in California if it makes a difference.

The 10pm-8am rule allows Target to avoid paying shift differential at 6am unload stores

I'm honestly still confused by the Thanksgiving/Black Friday differential pay because in no place does it say a minimum of hours worked gets that extra $1.

@TheFrigidPenguin the post by @JohnSith373 above explains how shift diff works. So you don't get it for your opening shifts, but you do get it for your closing shifts if you are clocked in from 10pm-1am. So you need to be back from lunch by 10 and clock out no earlier than 1 in order for it to take effect.

My god, i misread and thought you’re getting paid $14.89/he. I was about to say how the fuck a GSA making more money than me when I’ve been there for 11 years

My god, i misread and thought you’re getting paid $14.89/he. I was about to say how the fuck a GSA making more money than me when I’ve been there for 11 years

My old store (high min wage) had a 16 year old cart attendant making 15.00 an hour. Now I'm back in a store where team leads are the only ones over 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back