Archived Shopping for returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had an increase of guests/scammers coming up to guest services to return item(s) long after they've been shopping in the store. Its obvious on some that they are picking the item up off the floor and then claiming no receipt. As we can't accuse them of theft and our ap's hrs have been drastically cut, what are some ways to handle these guests? I've been told write down pertinent info for AP to research later but curious to hear what other tms do.

I have had success by looking around then asking if they are sure they want to do the return. Sometimes they get spooked and leave without the stuff.
This is a good one.

Also yes, if possible keep the return receipt otherwise write down time items and register number. You are correct to never accuse a guest. Also remember they have a max of ~$75 of no receipt returns so they can’t go crazy.

If you're 100% sure of theft, you can tell them "returns without a receipt may be denied refund or exchange", assuming that's still posted on the wall like it was when I worked guest service. They aren't going to want to draw a ton of attention to the situation, so they'll just leave if you stand your ground. Or you can ask them when they bought it so you can have someone "check the cameras to verify the transaction" and suddenly they'll remember that they left the oven on or some shit.

Look at what they are returning-
Does it still have spider wraps?
Multiple of the same items?
Really expensive stuff?

Ask the right questions-
Do they have a receipt?
Did they pay with a card?
Gift receipt? You know because Grandma never gives those.
When they made the purchase?

At this point you get to decide return or not-

I've done-
Pick the 3 items you want to return
Pick the one item you want to return
Straight up no come back with the payment or the person that made it
With Straight up no but be prepared for them to fight back. I'll explain that due to the items they are attempting to return I can't take it back without a receipt or proof of payment. If they like they can talk to guest relations. If they throw the I want to talk to a manager route then explain that you need to talk to them and leave the desk when they arrive.

Question, question, question! Do you have a receipt? A card? When was it purchased? Reason for return? Any damage? Was it at this store? One time I even offered to look up the receipt in iPOS for the guest and when I was gone looking for it, he dumped the stuff and left. Questioning at least kind of spooks them and I feel like they are less likely to come back knowing I’m on to them.

Are there any electronics, hba, or jewelry items? Because if so I’ll try to deny them as best as I can since I deny a lot of them without receipt anyway.

Are they receipt shopping as well? Because we have this problem alllllll the time. Multiple receipt with different debit card numbers... I usually claim I can’t scan the receipt (as it’s usually beat up and run over) and need to do a lookup with the card. When they tell me to type the receipt Id and vcd in and do it that way, I type the vcd incorrectly twice and it pops up, “unable to do return. give merchandise back to guest.”

I always try to get a moment to call AP (or get someone else to) and will stall while they check the tapes, but what I’ve done when they weren’t there was deny what I can and return whatever the ID lets me... I won’t take the shady receipt and give them cash... I always use their ID if I do do it.

Yes questions are our best friends! I also ask any no-receipt returns when they purchased the item, and how they purchased it.
Which is usually cash, threw away my receipt, I bought it for a friend and they didn’t want it, etc. The best is when a guy brings in $75 worth of makeup that he bought for his girlfriend but he bought all the wrong stuff... like really you have the maximum amount of stuff for a no receipt return and it’s all small expensive stuff. Yeah sure ok let me just open the drawer and hand you a bunch of cash, no problem.

Which is usually cash, threw away my receipt, I bought it for a friend and they didn’t want it, etc. The best is when a guy brings in $75 worth of makeup that he bought for his girlfriend but he bought all the wrong stuff... like really you have the maximum amount of stuff for a no receipt return and it’s all small expensive stuff. Yeah sure ok let me just open the drawer and hand you a bunch of cash, no problem.

Is 75 dollars really the limit on ID returns? Or is it just an estimate? I’m asking because I’ve had several guests ask me where it says only 75 dollars and that they’ve called guest relations and they say there’s no limit. 🙄

Is 75 dollars really the limit on ID returns? Or is it just an estimate? I’m asking because I’ve had several guests ask me where it says only 75 dollars and that they’ve called guest relations and they say there’s no limit. 🙄
$75 is typically about where the register will stop you and prompt for an exchange instead of a merch card, and at my store we don’t do exchanges only merch cards. I’ve seen someone doing a return for the first time on their ID being able to return almost $300 worth of stuff and still getting a merch card, while someone who does returns on their ID all the time won’t be able to return even a $10 item because they’re already at the $75~ish limit. It’s about $75-$100 (depending on the items) before you aren’t able to get a merch card anymore. Technically, there isn’t a limit, because you could always just do an exchange for the value of the item(s) they’re returning, but it’s a store-to-store basis on whether that’s allowed or not.

When I started, I was told "roughly $200". That number has been changed a couple times and the most recent I've heard from my GSTL/GSAs is $75. I suspect there's actually some amount of historical tracking going on in terms of types and values of items being returned against a particular ID that plays into this.

As for POS-prompted exchanges, I've seen it trigger on items as low as $10.

And of course guest relations isn't going to tell someone what the actual amount is... if there is one.

It’s a rough limit. Sometimes it’ll ask the guest to insert their card and if it’s a redcard sometimes it’ll go a few dollars higher I’ve noticed

My impression is that different departments have different limits and they are all on a rolling 12 month basis. So a $60 in infant formula might trigger but they still might be able to return $75 in clothes. So when guest ask I tell them that there isn't a published limit and the system tracks different things differently so all I can do is give it a shot and process based on the prompts through the system.

My impression is that different departments have different limits and they are all on a rolling 12 month basis. So a $60 in infant formula might trigger but they still might be able to return $75 in clothes. So when guest ask I tell them that there isn't a published limit and the system tracks different things differently so all I can do is give it a shot and process based on the prompts through the system.
No once it’s triggered once it’s done for 365 days. But I have noticed as you said diff dpts have diff limits. It usually gives a little more leeway with clothes and non-formula baby stuff, but it’s a hard limit for like electronics.

But yes I always say “i can try to give you Store credit” or something like that... avoid saying “I can” because sometimes you can’t lol

The return policy is just that...RETURNS WITH VALID RECEIPT in a certain timeline.

The No Receipt returns are not part of the return policy; its an exception. Its an allowance Target provides people to get them to return and shop. Target doesn't have to honor no-receipt returns. Because its an exception, Target can limit or allow such returns within its own guidelines.

I remember working GS one Day After Christmas where one of the craziest versions of the No-Receipt policy was implemented. Guest had to exchange for a similar item for their returned item. Toaster for a toaster; toy for a toy. Then it quickly switched to a similar dept item.

If I buy something that I have expectations of returning, I will keep the receipt or know I can use a card to research the receipt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back