Archived Short turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in HL for over a year. I came in with open availability. I tried to cut back my availability to get livable hours, but was denied because of "business interests".

The current problem is short turnaround. They have me scheduled out at 11:30 PM and in at 8 AM once a week. I have a long commute and when you subtract the time for brushing your teeth, that's about 4 hours sleep.

The questions are: What do I do in the short term with the posted schedules? What do I do in the long term? What does spot think reasonable turnaround is? What does the law consider reasonable turnaround?

We have TLs who do closing/opening all the time. That seems crazy to me.

Spot thinks 8hrs between shift is reasonable. Its a common practice, but not policy.

At times, I had 2-3 close/openers back to back. Luckily, I lived 10-15 minutes away.

I used to have a 45 minute commute to another one of my stores. Best thing to do is to get your schedule maker TL, ETL-TL, or ETL-HR to give you a better heads up if they want you working closer/openers so much.

Last edited:
I get off at 8 and have to be back for 6. That's 10 hours, but if you factor in my commute, I only have 30 minutes to get ready for bed and 30 minutes to get ready in the morning. I'm okay with it and realize that I probably don't really need 8 hours of sleep.

What's really fun is when the extended hours in December hits. Then the 8 hours in between shifts really flies out the window.

But, I figure if I want the hours, I best not complain about how they come, and unless I want nothing but closing shifts (which is pretty much what the next two weeks looks like right now, anyway) then I'm going to have to take a clopen.

I do cl-open every Monday & Tuesday. I've gotten used to it at this point. It's not too bad. You know what to expect when you come in because you are the one who did everything the night before.

I've told my TLs and ETL not to have me clopen because with one of the medications that I'm on I need to maintain a somewhat regular sleep schedule. For the most part they have listened and they will usually have me scheduled a day off between a closing and opening shift.

Also, in my store operators stay until 11:30 and are scheduled in at 7AM to do rack alignment. That's less than 8 hours and we have a state labor law that requires 8 hours between shifts.

I do a clopen ~ once a week. It sucks but I need hours so complaining about where they come from is probably not helpful for that.

I clopen at least once a week. Closing night and pa the next day. It sucks, but until hours pick up I can't afford to schedule my PA the next morning so I can come in a do an 8-430 like normal. I clopen sun/mon on my closing weekend too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back