Archived Should I advance to SrTl?

• Thread starter DoubleH
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being logical, the one who has the greater workload and more responsibility should have the greater compensation.

Just because someone has been there a longer time doesn't mean that they provide more value to Target.
The raises become better with a TL promotion. Plus you get like $3 or $4 extra with the initial promotion. It's not that bad. Everyone gets yearly raises, and after years and years with the same company, those raises stack up. Of course some old timers are going to make more than a new TL. Suck it up! Lol seriously.

Yes I was answering the original question that was asked by someone that was not you. No it is not an ego thing. I just don't understand how they expect you to lead team members, not just the ones on your team, guide them, advise them, plan for them, follow up with them, clean up after them, solve all their problems, attend team lead meetings, make a schedule, plan your week, watch their time, and come to work with a smile on your face for crappy pay.

I hate threads. I feel like shit gets out of order.

I'm a GSTL and a service desk team member makes 4 dollars an hour more than me. When i first saw that I was a bit annoyed but then i realized she's worked there for over 30 years and was once a TL. Why should she suddenly make less than me because I got promoted? She put in the time and the leadership to get to that point so if that's me in 30 years i expect to be making more than my TL.

Our PPTL is a Sr and he has a very strong POG team and Signing TM that can function just fine while he's LOD. He rarely sets with the team though, and seems to do mostly planning/prep and TL duties on his two POG shifts per week.

If you're going to be a SrTL, you'll only survive if you have TMs who will take over basically half of what you do on a weekly basis right now. When I got promoted to SrTL, I had a lot of fantastic TMs who did a lot of work and I could rely on them. A couple months ago I lost the best TM I had and I've been stressed lately because I've been trying to pick up everything that he did. I've been making some mistakes lately so I'm trying to delegate those responsibilities to other TMs.

If you have TMs who can take on the responsibility and are willing to take on that responsibility (get ready for "That's not my job" bullshit from certain types of TMs), go for it. It's a lot of extra responsibility and you'll spend a lot less time with your team, but it's a nice little pay increase. You'll have the advantage of working in so many workcenters over the years, so you have tons of experience throughout the store. That experience will help you problem solve a lot during your LOD shifts.

Hate to derail the thread, but what kind of raises can one expect as a TL in a large store with medium-high cost of living? Sorry, was promoted right after reviews so I'm not sure what to expect.

You will have to do a lot of planning for your team to carry out when you're not with them and have strong partnerships with other leaders to support them in your absence. It sounds like you have an experienced team, so setting clear expectations and teaching them to be self-sufficient shouldn't be too difficult if they care about what they do.

I'm a SR PPTL and have been for a year and a half. I have learned to rely on my team a lot which is something that was hard for me to do at first. I make sure I have really good plans in place for the week and I follow up with them as soon as I can when I come in. I Typically have 2-3 Lod shifts depending on the week. A normal week is Monday/Tuesday pog/pc wednesday off, thursday close Lod, Friday pog/pc or rotate closing Lod, sat/sun weekend Lod rotation. When I come in to close on Thursday the first thing I do is check in with the teams and see where they are at. After that before I take over from the E1 I staple all my pogs and organize them and any transition manuals or info for the next 6 weeks in my office and map out on the adjacency calendar where everything is going so I can get the pre ties done quickly on Monday. On the weekend shifts I get everything together for the team on Monday morning and get their binder updated for the next 6 weeks. If we are behind I will try to help out by setting some quick revisions or ticketing any backroom price change or pushing any clearance that the pc team couldn't get to. I Always try to help my teams if I can and there are no other fires around the store that need to be addressed when I'm Lod. On my closing shift is normally when I will walk the transition manuals, early set notes, and all areas we have set and make sure everything is 100% and take notes on everything and send it out in an email. I have a really good relationship with my ETL and he follows up with them when I am closing or off. I send out quick daily emails to the lods and tl's on where planogram/pc is at and what is still remaining. If we got behind or ahead I will tell them why and what the updated plan is. I am pretty lucky in that my teams are very experienced. They have all been doing the job for longer than i have so they don't need much managing. I do leave them notes if I don't see them or won't see them and I need to change the plan or tell them something. They are really good at reading my notes and following them. If I can't get to the pre-ties on Monday I have a TM who can do it for me. As long as you have good communication with your team, ETL, and the lods and tl's then you shouldn't have a problem.

It is a lot of work most of the time and it can get stressful because you will be Lod and see something you want to fix or help with and you won't have time because you are being called in 5 different directions but i have learned to just write it down and try to get back to it later or leave a note for someone to deal with it tomorrow.

If you are looking to move up or get more experience to go to another company one day or just for a new challenge I say go for it.

Talk to him about what? He made the comment that everyone balances and its just an adjustment. We have 2 seniors. One is a salesfloor SrTl and the other is Flow SrTl. I feel like it's easier for the sales floor senior because she can do a little sales floor work while being lod and watching over the floor.

I was the HL SR before I took over Pog/pc and for me it was easier to manage. I saw my team more and was able to fix things easier when I was Lod. That said I do enjoy being pog/pc now that I have been doing it awhile and got myself into a good routine. You have already been pog/pc so it might be easier for you to move into SR then it was for me to have a new team that I wasn't with 40 hrs a week. Your team knows you already and knows how you plan and what your expectations are.

As someone who was a senior Pptl and a senior log, I can say without a doubt, no, it is not worth it.

The extra 3 an hour (2 paygrade, 1 alarm) is not worth the obscene headache of trying to stuff 40 hours of work into 22 hours.

I maintained a green pog and log while I was senior, and I was so miserable I found another job and quit.

There are two scenarios that will play out.

One: You have a fantastic team member who will help pick up the slack. Life is great, then that team member quits. You are now crazy stressed and you're getting no support, because your team is the one who normally supports everyone else.

Two: You now have to cram 40 hours of work into half of that, with your shiny new lod shifts. Overtime is not allowed, and you eventually quit, or die of a stress induced heart attack while simultaneously backup cashiering, processing a return, and mapping out 30 salesplanners.

One thing to consider.. You will now have 24 hours to get done what you used to do in 40, as 2 of your shifts will be LOD. Is your team trained well enough to take over the tasks that you do?

My suggestion and this may only work if you have supportive and realistic leadership, is to status with your ETL and STL and give them a break down of what you do in order to ensure that your tasks get accomplished efficiently. Ask them to support you when you are LOD and see if your ETL can step in when he/she isn't LOD and you are so that your team has support from both you (their TL) and their ETL. It is in your ETL's best interest that your workcenter run green since he/she is accountable for it as much as you are.

isn't senior just a 50 cent pay bump?

its somewhat like gsa over tm but the worst part is you're expected to do your tl duties while having lod shifts.

its somewhat like gsa over tm but the worst part is you're expected to do your tl duties while having lod shifts.

Closer to $3.

Not at all. TL starting pay here is ~$14, Sr, TL ~$17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back