Archived Sick hours catch-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentCrow

Store Director
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone else was just as perplexed as me when it comes to sick time. So apparently in order to use your sick time you must call out, yet as a TL or above you're encouraged not to call out due to it throwing the store out of wack if you do so.

If they don't want you to call out, but that's the only way to use your sick hours it's a catch-22. I've thought about this briefly before but now I'm thinking about it even more. Reason why is I don't call out, but recently I happened to pay attention to how much sick hours I have...well over 50 hours!

What are your thoughts on this?

If it is just wanting to use the time, call out when you know its slow time for you and your crew. Or the days you know you have your people there that can at least keep the wheels on the truck while you are gone for the day.

If it is just wanting to use the time, call out when you know its slow time for you and your crew. Or the days you know you have your people there that can at least keep the wheels on the truck while you are gone for the day.

Yeah really seems you have to strategically call out.

It's good for when you get something like the flu, which can knock you out for a week if it's really bad. Or say, if you sprain an ankle or something. Minor stuff that you wouldn't go on leave for, yet can take you out for more than a day or two. Regardless, I feel the same frustration, because I wish I could get more use of it as well.

Having so many sick hours...and then getting sick on your day off, is the worst thing ever to happen. Lol.

It's good for when you get something like the flu, which can knock you out for a week if it's really bad. Or say, if you sprain an ankle or something. Minor stuff that you wouldn't go on leave for, yet can take you out for more than a day or two. Regardless, I feel the same frustration, because I wish I could get more use of it as well.

Having so many sick hours...and then getting sick on your day off, is the worst thing ever to happen. Lol.
Lmfao

Where is it stated that you can only use sick hours for actually being sick? In my store no one actually follows this if it's policy. Our sick hours are for us to use just like anything else. Only got scheduled 32hrs this week, use 8 hrs of sick time. We use them just like personal holiday and vacation. Now unless you don't have much time banked and would honestly need that for when you truly are sick! I accrue vacation etc pretty quick so I always have time banked for emergencies.

I must be one of those states that allows this?

Last edited:
Go in for a dental cleaning, but say you had a root canal and take a week off.
Root canal? I went to dentist twice for root canal after work and went back to work next day.

Also I remember I went to work same night my tooth pulled out and good thing it wasn't truck night either.

Root canal? I went to dentist twice for root canal after work and went back to work next day.

Also I remember I went to work same night my tooth pulled out and good thing it wasn't truck night either.

Kay, then lie and say it's infected. Say you got your wisdom teeth pulled. Shit, I assumed people would be smart enough to come up with their own excuses.

Kay, then lie and say it's infected. Say you got your wisdom teeth pulled. Shit, I assumed people would be smart enough to come up with their own excuses.

It was happened 10+ years ago. If I would do it again I'll call out instead. Target aren't FFF anymore.

Where is it stated that you can only use sick hours for actually being sick? In my store no one actually follows this if it's policy. Our sick hours are for us to use just like anything else. Only got scheduled 32hrs this week, use 8 hrs of sick time. We use them just like personal holiday and vacation. Now unless you don't have much time banked and would honestly need that for when you truly are sick! I accrue vacation etc pretty quick so I always have time banked for emergencies.

Its not a state thing (if you can use it or not) it depends on your store. Some follow the rules to a T and only let you use sick time for call outs and some are lenient. Be thankful yours let's you use it for whatever

Last edited:

My store only allows it to be used for call outs. I have enough time to get paid for like a month, but you have to call out to use sick hours here. Good for you that your store allows you to use them for whatever.

I dont know if its a state thing or what.We don't get sick hours. We get personal , vacation and the 4 well being hours and the start of the year.
Same here. I wonder if the states that don't get personal hours get sick hours, of if they get both. I never really understood the difference between personal and time off, I use them the same. As for sick hours, specifically, I think it's a joke that healthy people lose out entirely on a benefit unless they want to lie and say they are sick. IMO, if you don't use your sick hours, they should be paid out to you at the end of the year, a perk for being reliable.

Same here. I wonder if the states that don't get personal hours get sick hours, of if they get both. I never really understood the difference between personal and time off, I use them the same. As for sick hours, specifically, I think it's a joke that healthy people lose out entirely on a benefit unless they want to lie and say they are sick. IMO, if you don't use your sick hours, they should be paid out to you at the end of the year, a perk for being reliable.

You get both

I wish it was paid out at the end of the year too. It's a strange position to be in.

My store even act funny with taking vacation.

They uesed to pay you out each quarter your sick was over 265. I useuly got paid an extra 1200 each year until they stopped it. Now I topped out at 265 payout.. They're going to pay me that when I retire. And 80 reg that I will never use.

They uesed to pay you out each quarter your sick was over 265. I useuly got paid an extra 1200 each year until they stopped it. Now I topped out at 265 payout.. They're going to pay me that when I retire. And 80 reg that I will never use.

The problem with banking your payout is you can't use your other vacation

You get personal time and vacation time in every state, but personal time is only for "full time" TMs (average over 30 hours).

The problem with banking your payout is you can't use your other vacation
Thats just my sick I've already used my vacation payout. And i still have 294 of vacation. I get 5 weeks a year. And i take only three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back