Archived Significant cut in weekly hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I was just illustrating how my (future) leader at the time claimed he could get me 40 hours when he hired me, and how that didn't happen.
I just talked to a new hire that was told she'd get 32-40 hours a week with no problem. Next schedule? 5.5 hours. That's a great incentive for people to work hard, learn more and stay at Target. Good thing she hadn't quit the job she had when she got hired so she has a job when she quits.

When I moved from front end to GM (DBO) my hours began to decrease dramatically- luckily not 4 hours, but 5. We had myself and 2 other people working C & D block. Repacks were NEVER done by the other TM's and work kept getting piled high. I luckily found my routine for success and my stuff would be done but just barely. Sometimes there were nights where I couldn't unload all my repacks....
Then they were gonna hire a 4th. Instead, we had our lead speak up for me and the other TM who worked along side me (the 3rd kept getting dragged to other areas apparently during the day). This lead got with the ETL and was like, 'Hey, why don't we save money and just have 'these two TMs' own the whole block. They work well and they are begging for hours.'

So, that's what they did. Extended my area and the other TM and moved the 3rd somewhere else. I get a solid 8 hour shift, 5 days a week (banking 37.5 after lunches). I 'own' half of c&d, the other TM owns all the heavy furniture, decor and home improvement. We both show up every day. It takes all shift to do all the work expected.
The loss of hours only lasted us 2 months. Yes, two months of hell wondering how the hell I was gonna pay bills and eat, but it weeded out some people in the process who couldnt handle the new routine. GM's got shuffled and there's a good few of us getting on with 35+ hours. For me and the few who do, we even work Flexible fulfillment shifts every few weeks so that our floater GM's can get some hours. It's a good process so far, even when it's been slower before this back to school stuff.
I'm not saying stick it out, nor am I saying RUN FOR IT. Hopefully your team gets on it and finds a better balance.

Another 'luckily' here... I've been overhearing my HR on the phone with potential new hires. She's transparent with each one that says they require a minimum 30 hours straight away, saying to expect around 20 on most weeks as Target is primarily a part-time company. While in the back of my mind I want to cringe at such a blow over the phone, she's usually received with these applicants saying they'll still come in and sounding excited apparently.

My department is the only area that hasn’t dropped in hours at all between 3 of us owning the department we can come clean on the daily on everything and the only area in the store and from what I was told by the impressed DSD in our district that is either at or ahead of schedule on workload

No one mentioned that it’s also because everyone is getting that bump in pay later in the year. So they are probably preparing. They had another 12 people training today in the HR room, while everyone’s hours are getting slashed. Thanks Target!

This. I was getting about 20-24 hours per week for the entirety of July and now suddenly I'm getting ONE four hour shift per week. Sure do see a lot of new faces though!

But then how are we going to be able to get our benefits if we are not given the chance to work more than 4 hrs...
As a nearly 19 year team member, the answer is, "You don't." I barely qualified for the health insurance this year. Before that, the last time I had the qualifying hours was 2014. I am on track to lose my insurance again in 2020, unless hours pick up a lot (Like my SD losing her mind and authorizing unlimited overtime hours.)

I have been getting 30-40 hrs every week for the last 3 months. New schedule got me down to 20 hrs. They keep telling me how great Iam doing. Even guests tell the manager how good Iam at assisting them locating items. They just hired 3 new people in my department and wanted me to help train them. I guess after 9 months they need to phase me out for newer, cheaper models. :confused:

I checked my schedule 3 times today.....29 hours at 7am, 24 hours at 12pm, and now I just checked it's down to 18 hours. Whatever, I don't feel like being there anyway. I'll enjoy the rest of the summer with my kids.

I just talked to a new hire that was told she'd get 32-40 hours a week with no problem. Next schedule? 5.5 hours. That's a great incentive for people to work hard, learn more and stay at Target. Good thing she hadn't quit the job she had when she got hired so she has a job when she quits.
Spot isn't even pretending to be planning for the future anymore. They aren't investing in old employees and are treating new hires like disposable tools.

It's also super bullshit how HR will string these people along during orientation and leave it to the trainers on the floor to break it too these poor souls that they'll be lucky to get half what they were promised.

As a nearly 19 year team member, the answer is, "You don't." I barely qualified for the health insurance this year. Before that, the last time I had the qualifying hours was 2014. I am on track to lose my insurance again in 2020, unless hours pick up a lot (Like my SD losing her mind and authorizing unlimited overtime hours.)

If your store still has a swap book, grab a shift or 2... even if it's as a Guest Advocate.

Target is so dumb when it comes to this. Experience = efficiency in most cases. A seasoned TM can push a u-boat a lot faster than a trainee, and make fewer errors that cost other teams productivity. If they want a good size pool of people to fill the holiday hours fine but be up front with it. People will understand or move on. All this resentment reduces productivity overall, costing sales, reducing hours more, costing more sales. How are you supposed to take pride in your work if you barely work?

Anything in particular that makes you feel like you'll be called there, or just a hunch from the low hours?
Oh sorry it was in another post, but basically I have been at target for almost 10 months, and ONLY in the last 6 weeks I have had a verbal warning, a CA, and now on a FINAL. I am under a new TL that dislikes me and will make any excuse to give me a CA, however in the previous 8 months nothing was ever mentioned except I was doing a good job.

Oh sorry it was in another post, but basically I have been at target for almost 10 months, and ONLY in the last 6 weeks I have had a verbal warning, a CA, and now on a FINAL. I am under a new TL that dislikes me and will make any excuse to give me a CA, however in the previous 8 months nothing was ever mentioned except I was doing a good job.
Welcome to the club. My new ETL treated me like I was a pimple on the backside of the world. Never had a problem with anyone but her, years of good reviews, no performance issues, great team hero of the month, but nothing mattered after she started her reign of terror, and I was far from her only victim. Wish I could offer you some positive advice, but honestly, once they start that paper trail there’s nothing you can do but prepare your exit. Good luck.

Welcome to the club. My new ETL treated me like I was a pimple on the backside of the world. Never had a problem with anyone but her, years of good reviews, no performance issues, great team hero of the month, but nothing mattered after she started her reign of terror, and I was far from her only victim. Wish I could offer you some positive advice, but honestly, once they start that paper trail there’s nothing you can do but prepare your exit. Good luck.
I already have a couple good job prospects so things are looking up. As far as the paper trail, it’s funny because I said the exact thing to her during the CA. I said why am I being written up for working???

I've been with Target for exactly two years, and my average hours worked in mytime is 38. Two years ago obviously DBO's didn't exist, you just worked where you were scheduled. I used and abused the hell out of that swap book once I cross trained into other depts and got myself to near 40 every week. Eventually after awhile, they just started scheduling me that way because my name was always on the grid anyway.

I think that was the biggest thing for me, my attendance was perfect. Called off once the entire year. Called off once this year.

Now, what sucks is this is harder to do now as there's absolutely been a reduction in overall hours. Nobody's ever on an 8 hour shift unless you're in Presentation and doing a big set or you're a TL. You can make it work if you wanna go crazy like I did and work 6 days and do 90 hour weeks doing Q4. (Shoutout 2017 Flex disaster)

Once again, there’s no “flex book “ at our store, never has been. There was a board at one time, but honestly there was maybe one or two open shifts per week on it when it was up.

Our store didn't cross train. When I asked the STL said only the "superstars" were allowed to cross train. I know she told that to at least one other person who was a good worker and i saw only 3-4 people in three years work in more than one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back