Archived Significant cut in weekly hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I am working in GM, anyone else experiencing a significant cut in hours? Like a max of 15 hours a week when it used to be around 30 hours? If so, does anyone know why this is happening? Isn't this the start of back to school season/holiday season coming up?

Well I guess I was hoping for a concrete reason. I have been working for close to a year and thought it was just something going on as a “one time thing” but it’s been close to a month that we are just told hours need to be cut...I was not sure if it was only in my store or in the majority of stores

I’m sure they are still trying to recoup sales lost due to the register outage last month too. This is the time of year that they are hiring bus loads of new hires to prep for the holiday season, so now hours must be shared while they are training. Sharing is caring. 🙄

But then how are we going to be able to get our benefits if we are not given the chance to work more than 4 hrs...

So just hang tight and wait until more hours come? It seems like it’s kind of normal for this to happen...but seeing hours and my paycheck cut by half it worries me plus this my only job

Same here. I "own" Bullseye's Playground now (using GM hours) and I went from minimum 30 hours a week literally every week after my training shifts in January (typically 34-38), to 27 hours last week, to 20 hours next week, in the form of five 4 hour shifts. If it happens again I'm dipping out. Going from $700+ paychecks to $400 paychecks and wasting my gas driving up there almost every day for minimum shifts isn't the lifestyle for me.

I'm at 27/28 hours a week, too, down from 37 (former GSA). I'm using the extra time to network in my degree field, which is taking a huge hit right now but I could probably fill the gaps with some freelance. I'm also looking for another job. I don't like that cut in my check.

hours need to be cut because shareholders want profits and hourly wages eat into profits the most...so as long as theres still a good amount of guests returning daily and metrics are good enough they'll just cut hours for everyone....they basically want to squeeze 8 hour workloads into 5 or 5 and a half hour shifts it seems....this is normal but it's been getting ridiculous over the last year...4 years ago when back to school started we'd all be getting 30 hour work weeks minimum to keep up with the season but not anymore...now instead of a full 8 man team running truck we get 6 people and only one of them gets to take care of back to school edit: and we are not a tiny store but we aren't a super target either so...not sure how normal that part is

I worked at Target for 4 years. The hours kept getting lower every year I worked there. It’s not a blip, it’s a trend. They’re going to keep getting lower until it effects profits.

its a shame because the idea of working at Target brings in a lot of bright, intelligent people (along with miscreants who think its an easy job) and the good ones become great co workers and actual friends that you'll remember forever and the team environment is so strong...yet Target wants to just destroy the perfect environment they had....a couple asshole ETLs and STLs every few stores was the worst this company had going for it years ago...besides the card thing ...now the idea of being a Target Team Member makes me fucking smirk and roll my eyes. What team. I get yelled at if I stop for one second to HELP WITH A TEAM LIFT. What is this. And if we have to meet goal times pushing ...cashiers need to be given speed scores again and need to be judged on red cards more. Fucking not fair...sorry @ the cashiers here but this new shit is nonsense.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to think they're cutting our hours so that they don't have to pay for benefits in the new year; at least outside of TLs and PTMs. If that's their main goal, they really need to sack up and tell everyone. I'm assuming they're waiting for everyone to get sick of it and find new jobs. But hey, what do I know? I'm just another crappy TM, or GM expert now, that has been pushed around for way too long. Too bad the company doesn't care about their "team members".

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to think they're cutting our hours so that they don't have to pay for benefits in the new year; at least outside of TLs and PTMs. If that's their main goal, they really need to sack up and tell everyone. I'm assuming they're waiting for everyone to get sick of it and find new jobs. But hey, what do I know? I'm just another crappy TM, or GM expert now, that has been pushed around for way too long. Too bad the company doesn't care about their "team members".
That's correct.

It sucks training new seasonal team members when they come in like "I'm really looking for over 30 hours. I'd love 40 if I can get it"...I can't even be honest with them about how badly our hours are being slashed.

Meanwhile I'm looking at my next week's schedule like 😨😱🤢
When I was first hired, my future TL told me that he could "get me 40 hours" between all the departments he was in charge of back then. I started out with about 20-25 and eventually moved up to 30 pretty regularly. Christmas time was a bonanza and I came close to 40 several weeks, even getting a bit of OT one week - then the hammer dropped. I've only hit 30 hours one week since the beginning of the year.

When I was first hired, my future TL told me that he could "get me 40 hours" between all the departments he was in charge of back then. I started out with about 20-25 and eventually moved up to 30 pretty regularly. Christmas time was a bonanza and I came close to 40 several weeks, even getting a bit of OT one week - then the hammer dropped. I've only hit 30 hours one week since the beginning of the year.
Some folks get 4 hours a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back