Archived Skip College?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I am new to the Break Room so I'm sorry if my post is not the best, but I have had this on my mind since I graduated high school almost a year ago.

I LOVE my job. I love the whole retail experience. From guest service to hardlines, I love the Target brand. I enjoy my job no matter how hard or annoy it can be some days. I am currently a cart attendant and I have been for about 2 years. In that time I have worked Starbucks, hardlines, cafe, cashier, and even covered the GSTL and GSA for their lunches when needed. Most new cashiers and guest assume I am in charge, I am in college right now for a medical related career and I am NOT feeling it like I thought I would. With that being said, I am thinking about dropping out of school and staying with Target. I would love to work my way up to Team Lead, but I have no idea what their salary looks like and what it would honestly be like being the LOD.

I am only 20, but honestly I love our store and I would love to work up the chain. I just don't think college is for me. Is it possible to become a Team Lead or higher without getting a business degree? And what is a TL pay and job duties? Thanks in advance :)

If you really aren't feeling the medical field, I'd suggest changing to something business related (or something else you're interested in) and keep going with it. You can still work your way up at Target if that's really what you want to do, but that way you'd still have an education to fall back on if you change your mind. If you're going to stay with Target, I suggest aiming higher than team lead. The pay isn't that great and most of the team leads that I've worked with get sick of it pretty quick.

A lot of the team leads at my store seem to enjoy it but then again they've been doing this forever. I would honestly really like to aim for ETL GE. It's rumored at my store that they make decent money.. and I love the Guest experince

No way I want to be on carts forever lol. I've met STLs who have worked from Carts to STL. I'm just feeling really lost right now. I hate college and I am not feeling this medical field.. I love my job at target and the people I work with. But idk if I could make it in business school bc I have really bad anxiety

Keep going on with school. TL pay isn't amazing. I work in one of Seattle's surrounding areas and make a little under 30k. School may not be fun, but I think it may be a necessary evil, even if you choose not to pursue a career in the medical field it can open up a ton more possibilities. Maybe even ETL if you really want to stick with target.

Thanks everyone. I may try a business class or two next semester. I'm just super scared because my anxiety will more than likely not allow me to do presantations. Maybe I'm just aiming for the wrong medical career? Who knows.. but thanks for the input everyone. It's really appreciated

As someone who did drop out of college because I hated it, I don't suggest it. There's no guarantee that you will become a team lead and finding a decent paying job without a degree isn't easy. My last ETL-SF/GE and STL were not business majors, so it doesn't have to be business school, but don't doubt yourself. Presentations suck, but just pretend that you're leading a huddle. ;)

Do you guys know if Target has any programs for business majors? Like maybe an internship? I think I've heard of one before but my store doesn't talk to TMs much about moving up.

Like others have stated, Please, Please, PLEASE!! Finish college and get that degree!! Target, honestly will always be there and with your high hopes and spirit, you very well can move up! Degree will make your transition ALOT smoother no matter the major as in you could have the best of both worlds. Book sense and "street" sense!! Good luck;)

Yes you can become a TL or higher without a degree but please continue with College. You will make more money in the medical field. Our TL's get paid between $15-$20/hour depending on how long they have been with us.

Well said Lur,

Even if you choose to stay with Target a college degree will get you further faster. Does not have to be in business.

While some districts dont require a degree to be an ETL, I dont know any in my district who dont have one.

Relax, finish school (in something you enjoy. Maybe not medicine)

You may like working for Target today but it may not be here for you 10 years from now and you will have nothing but retail experience.

Thanks everyone. I may try a business class or two next semester. I'm just super scared because my anxiety will more than likely not allow me to do presantations. Maybe I'm just aiming for the wrong medical career? Who knows.. but thanks for the input everyone. It's really appreciated

I know you enjoy the comfort of Target but leadership roles are stressful.

As a TL you will make decent money but nothing special and if you have bad anxiety the 60 hour Q4 work weeks of an ETL or year round 60 hour work weeks of an STL are going to really challenge you.

You may regret not going to school but I dont think you will regret finishing. Pick a major you love, not one you think will make you rich.

It's a complex issue, but generally everyone will steer you away from retail and towards college.A bachelor's degree in pretty much any field will secure you better pay and opportunities than you'll get as a TL (I started at $14.50 for TL pay). Plus it seems rare to find a TL, ETL, or STL who truly loves their job and doesn't suffer with lots of stress.

That being said, I know a lot of people who wasted time and money because they dove into college without knowing for sure what they wanted to major in. I also know people who got bored of school and let their grades drop because they didn't have clear goals in mind.

Personally I dropped out of school and decided not to go back until I knew for sure what I wanted to do. I've gotten good work experience but I've also found that having a degree really opens a lot of doors. I'm just now heading back to school and I'm happy with the path I've chosen.

Once you find your passion, everything becomes clear. If you think it's retail, switch to a business major and pursue development within Target.

A lot of the team leads at my store seem to enjoy it but then again they've been doing this forever. I would honestly really like to aim for ETL GE. It's rumored at my store that they make decent money.. and I love the Guest experince

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you may not get ETL GE, just because you want it. Or you may be placed into another position or store at the whim of the STL/DTL.

Heck, my store doesn't even have an ETL GE.

TL and ETL are very different jobs.

Good luck

And I would switch majors or schools before quitting college, completely.

Teacher? Vet? Vet Tech? Some other technical job? Mechanic? Craftsman? Social Services?

The medical field is about the safest career you can go into right now. People are always going to need health services.

Retail, especially brick and mortar, on the other hand doesn't look too good.

With that said if you aren't happy with the degree your working towards right now don't continue to pour money into it. If you can, work on your basic classes that will be needed for any major you may decide to pursue. Honestly go talk to your advisor, they will be the best person you can talk to at this point.

I'd say stay in school. Please don't let your anxiety scare you away from accomplishing something a lot of people dream of doing. Maybe not the medical field tho. My sister is a doctor and several of her classmates in medical school committed suicide under the stress and pressure of school. But stay in school. You can have a degree in anything these days. Plus, it will probably look better to Target and any other future employers. Of course, its your life but think about whether you wanna be at Target in 15 years when you might have a family to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back