Archived Small format GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsa4lyfe

Always here
Anyone out there in a small format store? How do you sort reshop with no behind the wall? The store near me is just a counter behind the desk with cabinets underneath. How do you do anything???

bins under the counter?
Just think about the amount of bins though.... easily 10-12 just with the defects and Box A-G and empty package... PLUS a bin for every block and softlines. Most small format I’ve been to have about 10 cabinets and now way it would all Fit. I know the simple answer but I’m looking for someone who actually works in a small format and can give exact answers

We don’t get nearly as many go backs as you would at a regular sized store. We don’t sort, we just work the go backs as they come.

We don’t get nearly as many go backs as you would at a regular sized store. We don’t sort, we just work the go backs as they come.
Where do you put your salvage and CRC? In a bin then to a cardboard box or carbowrd box under the cabinet?

I helped open a small format store that (at the time) had no GSTL, or any GSAs, only a GE. I remember opening the cabinets to see the tiny defect bins and the tiny red bins for sorting reshop and laughing hysterically. One bin for softlines, one for market, and one for everything else. Stuff rapidly piled up on the counter above the cabinets, particularly as we got returns from the nearest store of a bunch of things we didn't normally stock. I'd spend all day calling and calling for reshop and I'd call the GE to ask if there was anyone specific I could grab - you can't call specific departments because there aren't specific departments - and the next morning, still a mountain, more mountain. I haven't been back since they opened, I'm curious how it's going. I tried coordinating with the GE to make sure they passed on to whatever GSTL/GSA that there had to be strict procedures in place - the moment a defective bin is full, it closes and switches out. It's like the size of a few shoeboxes, you can't wait until the end of the day and box everything up. I think I also posed the question of "do we repackage it or just defect it if we don't stock it" because it's not like a small format store has any extra space for random clearance endcaps. Never got an answer, but it was more "here's something you should probably figure out" for them.

That turned into nostalgic venting. Basically, it's a small format store, there's nowhere to put anything but on the floor, so whoever is watching the front has to be SUPER proactive about making sure stuff gets taken away and dealt with. You just can't have the same habits as you do at a regular store. Oh, there were also like pencil case sized bins for beauty and... something else? I'd get a thing of stray mascara and just run the ten feet and put it away. A few foundations and I'd be overflowing.

edit: to clarify, at the one I was at, there was the service desk, and behind it there was a long counter with maybe 10 cabinets underneath that held pretty much everything front end. Bags, gift cards, checklane supplies, etc. It's not like a regular store where you can keep a stash nearby but have more of it in the backroom or in some other storage place.

Last edited:
Funny this was mentioned, our store used to have IGS, in which we had carts lined up for the different categories of reshop. Well some time ago, we went though a remodel and they removed our cafe, then moved GS into the space where Food Ave used to be, which includes a very large room behind the counter. Much bigger space for GS than we had before. You would think we’d at least have the same amount of space for reshoop as we had before, but no. No carts at all as a matter of fact. All we have now are the same size bins we have at the check lanes to collect the items guests decide against at the last minute. And that’s it. Some bins are even suppose to accommodate 2 sections instead of 1. Not the most ideal situation, but the explanation was that reshop should be hitting the floor as soon as possible after it arrives at GS.

Small format here. Our front end also has a long counter, but there are no reshops there.

All reshops accumulate in 3 tier carts, are set to the side and are worked throughout the day. Our current GE liked the idea of reshops under the counter, but due to hours and staffing we don't have people working reshops consistently enough for them to fit under the counter for very long. So carts it is.

Under our counter we have 66qt sterilites that hold salvage, esim, and crc. No matter how full salvage is, it is taken to the back when the closing gsa enters. Same with oversized crc. The other 2 containers have space until the end of the night. Other cabinets hold various front end essentials, order pick up items and guest holds.

We run into the same issues with receiving larger stores returns of items we don't carry. We don't rewrap anything. No space when we have no space. And it's frustrating when guests find the lone item and want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back