Archived Smart sort

Status
Not open for further replies.
A POS application designed to easily facilitate sorting reshop into carts/bins/other vehicles, normally by aisle blocks or departments.

Any GSA/GSTL/ETL can access smartsort setup and assign a specific aisle to a specific cart.

It also facilitates sorting defective items by assigning defective license plates and labels to damaged items.

In our store we've got our reshop separated by area.....Softlines.....A....B.....C & D....Electronics & Toys.....Consumables & Seasonal.....defectives.

On the registers at GS we can use the registers "sort" to find out what cart an item goes in.

Since our store is divided by just a few carts, would we need to use smartsort?

If you aren't using smart sort, how else are you catching missed salvage and things that should have clearance stickers or should have their clearance stickers adjusted or things that need to go to price accuracy? Your store may not need to use it as long as your reshoppers always have PDAs to use...if they don't, not using smart sort makes it way more difficult.

Your areas are so large, that most people can probably figure out where stuff goes without using it. But of course there are lots of little things that people get wrong when "guessing" which makes it harder for putting back strays. For instance, does everyone who fills the carts know where the Dora the Explorer band aids go? (Hint, it isn't in HBA).

I've seen SS setups like:

Blue x3 (elec, mmb, stat, sprt, toys, auto, home)
Green x2 (hba, ppc, pets, dry, lugg, dom)
Softlines x2
Red/Yellow/Green boxes on a tub
Price Acc/NOP and NOF/Checklanes and SSS in bins underthe counter

and

1- HBA
2 - Market
3 - Stat/Seas
4 - Elec/MMB
5- Toys/Pets/Auto
6 - Dom/Home/Small App
7 - Infants/Shoes
8 - Softlines (remainder)
9 - Checklane/SSS
10 - QMOS bin
11 - Cosmetics (shopping basket)
Plus a tub for r/g/y items.

Using smartsort is important for catching missed salvage, recall items, clearance, nop/nof, and the entire defectives process.

For instance, does everyone who fills the carts know where the Dora the Explorer band aids go? (Hint, it isn't in HBA).

Oooh, oooh! I know the answer! They go in toys! Technically, the ones that go on the sidecap in toys have another UPC sticker over the original. Otherwise, they're exactly the same as the ones in HBA.

When we get returns....that's when the system tells us if an item goes salvage......or if it is a See. Spot. Save. that is old.

Defectives are brought up to GS by SLs floor TMs.

If we have an item that needs a new price sticker and we scan it and it tells us it goes to "Price Accuracy" then it goes there.

I'm confused....it sounds like smartsort is used to check every item that comes to GS. Is that true?

It sounds, to me, that our store doesn't use smartsort. I'll have to ask a GSA about smartsort because it sounds like it is an important part of the reshop process. I can't imagine why we don't use it......unless we do and I've no idea that it is called smartsort!

Thanks everyone for your answers...and your patience!

We end up with occasional things that float around the store that end up being missed salvage that I catch when I smart sort. Smart sort also tells you when something is clearance (and the current price), so if it comes through GS, you can either print the sticker or just double check to be sure the correct sticker is on there.

You say that the sales floor TMs bring up defectives. Ours do too, but it is up to us to defect them out. Which involves going into smart sort, and hitting K4 (or whatever) after sorting it to defect it out. Or are you all defecting things out differently?

It really depends on your store, I suspect. If you have a shortage PDAs, and some poor soul (cart attendant, extra cashier, new person, etc) is going to be putting away toys without one, it's cruel to not have a smart sort list for them.

I am a smart sort stickler (though it does take some extra time, it does catch things and gets them in the right bins, etc), but this past week with the billions of carts of reshop and returns, even I was saying, "screw it."

Last edited:
Yes, we defect the items that the SLs floor TMs bring up. However, consumables does their own defectives unless it is only a few things. We do the K4, too.

I've no idea what a smartsort list looks like.

Looks like I'll be learning a few new things this coming week at my store!

When you close out the cart, it prints a list of everything you've scanned into that cart since the last time you closed it out. You scan the cart bar code, then hit K2 to close cart and print list. It will ask you for your number, and then print out a list of everything in that cart, in order by aisle number, with item, how many there are, the aisle and shelf location, etc.

*note, It says on the list that when you're done, you're supposed to scan the list at a register. We don't do that, and I haven't a clue what that "does." We just toss 'em.

When you close out the cart, it prints a list of everything you've scanned into that cart since the last time you closed it out. You scan the cart bar code, then hit K2 to close cart and print list. It will ask you for your number, and then print out a list of everything in that cart, in order by aisle number, with item, how many there are, the aisle and shelf location, etc.

*note, It says on the list that when you're done, you're supposed to scan the list at a register. We don't do that, and I haven't a clue what that "does." We just toss 'em.

As it has been explained to me, *someday* (I am not sure when) they will use these lists and reshop functions to measure a stores unplanned workloads (how messy your store gets from traffic... some stores might have worse guests than others I guess)... and then measuring how quickly carts can get done and so on... I'm not sure if that is still the case? I think that one of the biggest things most stores miss is the put away function in the PDA... as you close carts at service desk it puts those printed lists in the put away function and you can just access it there, and close the cart yourself in the list (instead of scanning the paper)... And then the TL can tell how much reshop is left and if there are any carts out on the floor that aren't done yet....

If you aren't using smart sort, how else are you catching missed salvage and things that should have clearance stickers or should have their clearance stickers adjusted or things that need to go to price accuracy? Your store may not need to use it as long as your reshoppers always have PDAs to use...if they don't, not using smart sort makes it way more difficult.

Your areas are so large, that most people can probably figure out where stuff goes without using it. But of course there are lots of little things that people get wrong when "guessing" which makes it harder for putting back strays. For instance, does everyone who fills the carts know where the Dora the Explorer band aids go? (Hint, it isn't in HBA).
It's on a toys sidecap. :)

And for the love of trees, close the carts daily or you'll burn through countless rolls of receipt tape!

Using smartsort is important for catching missed salvage, recall items, clearance, nop/nof, and the entire defectives process.

Why can't you two work at my store?? My month-and-a-half of pushing re-shop overnight would've been so much easier if Guest Service used Smart Sort!

How my store does it:

Re-shop Carts: 1 = HBA. 2 = Pets/Chemicals/Paper. 3 = Stationery/Kitchen. 4 = Domestics/Housewares/Furniture/Decor. 5 = Toys/Sporting Goods/Auto. 6 = Seasonal. 7 = Market (dry only, perishables go in a bin to be QMOS'd). 8 = Softlines. 9 = Electronics/Entertainment. 10 = Front End. 11 = More HBA (meds and toiletries) 12 = Cosmetics (because they're small and have weird POGs).

Boxes: A = Red Toss. B = Special Handling (ESIM). C = CRC. D = Salvage (both defective and missed). E = Vendor Pickup. F = NOP (to be backstocked). We also have a Price Accuracy bin for NOF items, an AP bin for empty packages, and a bin for perishable items that need to be QMOS'd (P-Fresh takes care of those).

I've asked about smartsort at my store......we don't use it because we don't "close out" our carts.

We just have TMs come to pick-up the reshop carts and put stuff away.

I'm guessing that smartsort could be a useful thing, but my store chooses not to use it.

I've asked about smartsort at my store......we don't use it because we don't "close out" our carts.

We just have TMs come to pick-up the reshop carts and put stuff away.

I'm guessing that smartsort could be a useful thing, but my store chooses not to use it.
Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back