Archived So how does your store schedule team leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is how myTime was billed at first. All leadership was supposed to come out of some separate workcenter or hierarchy to account for the fact that TLs don't have the same workload as regular TMs. Of course that's not what happened...

I don't understand why the highest paid team members (read Sr. Team Leads) get to schedule their own shifts. At my store, they work M-F 6am - 2:30. They have weekends off and holidays for $20 an hour. Occasionally they will be required to come in for LOD shifts, but not often. It's ridiculous.

Where can I find Best practice for scheduling? Is it on workbench?

This is what happens when we let a computer program determine how many team members are needed on the sales floor according to guest traffic and PEEK HOUR but it's not smart enough to add in the FAST SERVICE, DAILY TASKS, PCV'S, HUDDLE TIME, BREAKS, 30 MIN. MEAL and not a 1/2 min.early clocking back in! OH and don't forget to go off the floor and CHECK E-MAIL, WRITE COACHING FORMS (and administer) WRITE REVIEWS FOR SELF AND 9 TEAM MEMBERS, COMPLETE 4x4 FORMS, USE THE BATHROOM (time permitting) AND LETS NOT FORGET TO KEEP THAT VIBE FOLDER UP TO DATE!! Lets face it we are a BIG corporation that's being micro managed by a dumb computer program (My Time) that has NO conception of TIME.
My Time is my monthly needs attention for TIME MANAGEMENT ! LOL

In theory I think myTIME could be wonderful. However the information fed into the program is flawed, Productivity is one thing, reality is another. Our genius corporate people have absolutely no concept on how long tasks actually take. If there were no reshop, no backup calls, no callouts no spills, we might actually have time to deliver service. Every single team leader should have built into myTIME a period of time for "paperwork". Vibe walks have the potential to be great developmental tools. But I would be willing to bet more than half of all team leads pencil whip them on the day they are do. You cannot run a successful business without being realistic on what actually happens on a daily basis and how much labor it takes to complete it. Team leads are not leading a thing right now except the charge to the "screw this place exit". Don't blame myTIME, blame the assclowns who haven't worked in the stores and "think" they know how much time it should take to both provide service and take care of daily tasks. They are the ones who fed the information into the computer.

Also, blame everyone who fakes it until they make it when it comes to metrics. Corporate gets a skewed version of our productivity numbers and how Stores can actually function on the current payroll because the overwhelming majority of stores fake whatever they can to have green metrics for processes that aren't actually green.

Also, blame everyone who fakes it until they make it when it comes to metrics. Corporate gets a skewed version of our productivity numbers and how Stores can actually function on the current payroll because the overwhelming majority of stores fake whatever they can to have green metrics for processes that aren't actually green.

That's the sad part.
If stores were honest about their metrics Spot would quickly learn that that the labor levels they assign are impossibly low but no ETL or STL is going to do that for fear of losing their job.
Not lying about your metrics means heads will roll starting of course with the TMs but when that doesn't work, the bosses.
So instead of telling the truth and letting the metrics do what they are supposed to, provide a snapshot of what works and what doesn't in the store, they lie.

That's the sad part.
If stores were honest about their metrics Spot would quickly learn that that the labor levels they assign are impossibly low but no ETL or STL is going to do that for fear of losing their job.
Not lying about your metrics means heads will roll starting of course with the TMs but when that doesn't work, the bosses.
So instead of telling the truth and letting the metrics do what they are supposed to, provide a snapshot of what works and what doesn't in the store, they lie.
And this is a huge part of the reason why our company is so screwed up. Corporate hands down unrealistic expectations which the stores accomplish by massaging the numbers which corporate takes as reality so they further tighten payroll and send down higher goals which means the stores have to keep cheating to make sure their scores are good. It's just a viscious cycle that's gotten us to where we are now. The lack of transparency between the stores (and I'd imagine the DCs) and corporate HQ is detrimental to our company. It's madness.

the thing that always made me angry was how TL always got 40hours or close to it and the "justification" was because they do all the hard work... well I hate to break it to Target but TM need to eat, pay rent/mortgage, stuff too! I was crossed trained and used the swap board as much as possible but around this time I still got around hmm maybe 22 to 25 hours.

I have 2 or 3 LOD shifts every week--a regular weeknight, alternating weekends, and often a weekday too. I definitely have taken vacation for my team to get hours. I also work other work centers. Fitting room and flow this weekend. Fine by me, as my team gets more hours, but it is still hard for them. We are a small store, with only one SFTL and there are still hardly enough hours for her--often scheduled POG. At my store, TLs don't make their schedules--I schedule myself for my sbux days, but that's it. Obviously, logistics is there when there are trucks, and PPTL works mornings. I am glad to hear that mine is not the only store fudging on the metrics-- I always wondered. That sounds bad, of course I'd rather no one fudged!

I schedule myself under my work center and I've cut my hours down to help them out as well. It's rough some times but we manage. Like what was said, I just hate how I'm basically part of everyday coverage for my work center, it's difficult finding time to be offstage to complete other tasks. I haven't even been able to write my TM reviews.

Last edited:
I think perhaps if the "big wigs" actually made visits to their normal stores, like they used to back in the day, they wouldn't be so out of touch and clueless about everything.

Like for example, I have a buddy who used to work at another store that had a CEO visit du ring Q4 2015. But he worked at one of the top 5 busiest stores in the company. I mean come on guys can you please visit a real store?

the thing that always made me angry was how TL always got 40hours or close to it and the "justification" was because they do all the hard work... well I hate to break it to Target but TM need to eat, pay rent/mortgage, stuff too! I was crossed trained and used the swap board as much as possible but around this time I still got around hmm maybe 22 to 25 hours.
who wants to put up with the stress as tl while being paid like shit? also if they aren't the things they need to do that the team cant doesn't gt done.

i spend hours making sure that team members get hours. i know you want hours, but most people who complain don't have available hours. they'll gladly take shifts that are outside their availability so they can pay their bills. they'll also give away shifts. why am i spending hours trying to give you hours then?

I think perhaps if the "big wigs" actually made visits to their normal stores, like they used to back in the day, they wouldn't be so out of touch and clueless about everything.

Like for example, I have a buddy who used to work at another store that had a CEO visit du ring Q4 2015. But he worked at one of the top 5 busiest stores in the company. I mean come on guys can you please visit a real store?
Tina visited my pfresh B volume store. We spent over a hundred extra hours and ran an overnight preparing. There are no real stores unless it's a super stealth visit.

Tina visited my pfresh B volume store. We spent over a hundred extra hours and ran an overnight preparing. There are no real stores unless it's a super stealth visit.
We had Juan(?) visit late last year and just had a visit from Joe Contrucci this past week. We spent a LOT of hours on the Juan visit. STL decided that we weren't going to do the same this time around. Store didn't look like it belonged in a commercial, but the visit still went great with no added hours. We'd actually cut over 90 hours that week.

I'm a PPTL, my hours are under pog/ pricing, if it's my weekend on the Saturdays I open/close, and my closing Sunday's I am sales floor, a son Sunday's I'm signing and pog. I am expected to perform the roles of the department I'm scheduled under.

We had Juan(?) visit late last year and just had a visit from Joe Contrucci this past week. We spent a LOT of hours on the Juan visit. STL decided that we weren't going to do the same this time around. Store didn't look like it belonged in a commercial, but the visit still went great with no added hours. We'd actually cut over 90 hours that week.
And who?...are these people?...

And who?...are these people?...
Tina was senior vp of something. Juan was co of store operations I think and joe replaced him. I'm not sure. They're important 0eople within the company.

I have never ever seen a Juan or a Joe Contrucci on Target's list of chief officers. You sure those 2 weren't just group leaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back