Archived So how does your store schedule team leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Edit - Sorry, wrong forum. Meant to put this under "Leadership"

We're starting to get to the point where team leads are literally taking all of the salesfloor hours.

Example, we have 2 harddlines team leads...our store is allocated 104 hours for hardlines, so about 75 hours goes towards the team leads. Even at giving each team member 4 hour shifts, we're still going over.

My question though...does your store still schedule team leads under their work center? I know some stores have tried putting them under leadership or other random work centers in order to alleviate the TL's taking all the hours.

Last edited:
They are all scheduled under their workcenters, except when our seniors do LOD shifts. Sometimes it causes a hardship (like this upcoming schedule, our three HLTLs are going to work with my team under my hours just to give salesfloor TMs some time).

They are all scheduled under their workcenters, except when our seniors do LOD shifts. Sometimes it causes a hardship (like this upcoming schedule, our three HLTLs are going to work with my team under my hours just to give salesfloor TMs some time).

Once had a TL take vacation time to give their team some hours. I think it was the PTL, not sure.

Regardless of what work center they're scheduled under the store's total hours are the same. So if they don't take it from one pot (sales floor) they'll take it from another pot ( flow, SL, POG). The only thing they can do is give the minimum hours to each TL so more hours are for TMs. Kind of shady taking from full time employees.

I've heard of some stores putting TL's under different workcenters so that hours get pulled "equally" from all work centers. Not sure how well that works in practice, but supposedly it ensures that all work centers get hurt for hours in the same fashion...rather than say have Plano fully staffed while the salesfloor is wiped out.

Hours are hours.

My store has scheduled TLs under plano around this time of the year. And for the most part they actually work with the pog team doing sets. Helps us, we only have 2 tms and a TL that splits time with price change.

Once had a TL take vacation time to give their team some hours. I think it was the PTL, not sure.

I can't count the number of times a year I take extra days off so my team can get more hours to try and pay their bills. At least 100+ vacation hours used a year with only taking time off "vacation" during payroll lulls.

Hours are hours.

My store has scheduled TLs under plano around this time of the year. And for the most part they actually work with the pog team doing sets. Helps us, we only have 2 tms and a TL that splits time with price change.

I've seen many a senior TL at my stores doing POG TM shifts due to no payroll in their home department.

I feel as if Target doesn't know what to do with Team Leads. Yes, they're supervisors...but I'd say about half their shifts are scheduled as non-supervisors...either by themselves or so little overlap that they cannot accurately grasp how well a TM is doing.

I feel as if Target doesn't know what to do with Team Leads. Yes, they're supervisors...but I'd say about half their shifts are scheduled as non-supervisors...either by themselves or so little overlap that they cannot accurately grasp how well a TM is doing.
Then the hard part is, as flow team lead, I have to supervise 20-30 people every day!

I don't understand why the highest paid team members (read Sr. Team Leads) get to schedule their own shifts. At my store, they work M-F 6am - 2:30. They have weekends off and holidays for $20 an hour. Occasionally they will be required to come in for LOD shifts, but not often. It's ridiculous.

I don't understand why the highest paid team members (read Sr. Team Leads) get to schedule their own shifts. At my store, they work M-F 6am - 2:30. They have weekends off and holidays for $20 an hour. Occasionally they will be required to come in for LOD shifts, but not often. It's ridiculous.
Ive never heard of a Sr. TL not having to do LOD or weekend shifts. And the only time I've seen one working only mornings was a PPTL at my old store.

Unless it's a real high volume store that has the extra ETLs I don't see how it would work.

Ive never heard of a Sr. TL not having to do LOD or weekend shifts. And the only time I've seen one working only mornings was a PPTL at my old store.

Unless it's a real high volume store that has the extra ETLs I don't see how it would work.
Backroom SrTL at my store only works 6-2:30 and very rarely has to pull an LOD shift. He does work weekends though.

Then the hard part is, as flow team lead, I have to supervise 20-30 people every day!

That's the easiest. You work with your team everyday and can actually observe their performance and coach on the spot. Imagine trying to coach a team member because a LOD said that a week ago he thinks their zone wasn't up to par.

Currently we are scheduling sales floor TLs 10-7:30 everyday. Those are the only 8 hour shifts on the sales floor. Then we fill in the remaining with a couple 4 hour shifts for team members. The DTL wants to know why our retention sucks right now???? Its like trying to explain how a can opener works to a cat. They really don't give a shit just open it. I tried my best to explain that although they are being scheduled 2 times a week, 4 hour shifts barely covers their gas or bus fair. His great idea is to have "fun" huddles!? WTF? How much fun can you have when there are 3 total sales floor team members at any given time of day? The opinion survey is going to be very VERY interesting this year. Of course nothing will come of it as usual, but it should be enlightening

I'm a Sr PPTL and have two LOD shifts a week, one dayside weekday and one weekend shift (early, mid, or late). When I'm not LOD I work 6-2:30 with my team. Our other Sr. TLs have 2 LOD shifts a week as well.

Currently we are scheduling sales floor TLs 10-7:30 everyday. Those are the only 8 hour shifts on the sales floor. Then we fill in the remaining with a couple 4 hour shifts for team members. The DTL wants to know why our retention sucks right now???? Its like trying to explain how a can opener works to a cat. They really don't give a shit just open it. I tried my best to explain that although they are being scheduled 2 times a week, 4 hour shifts barely covers their gas or bus fair. His great idea is to have "fun" huddles!? WTF? How much fun can you have when there are 3 total sales floor team members at any given time of day? The opinion survey is going to be very VERY interesting this year. Of course nothing will come of it as usual, but it should be enlightening

Our store now wants to address the issues they get slammed for on the survey last year. Umm a little late assholes.. 3 sales floor people, we get none for hard lines and 1 +operator for soft-lines in our whatever is the step under a super target until 11am.. Yeah it is sucking bad right now..

Its like trying to explain how a can opener works to a cat.
... I need to remember this quote. That's hilarious.

We have three SrTLs at my store (self included)- HL, GSTL, POG/Pricing. HL & GSTL each have a closing LOD night and on our weekend usually are LOD. The POG/Pricing has basically two LOD shifts per month... usually a Sat/Sun. So, basically 40 hours a week are taken from payroll for us to LOD. Of my 40 hours a week, 16 of them are usually LOD.

Last time I was closing LOD, we had very few team members... and my backroom & a cashier called out. I had no one in hardlines from 4p-6p. And only one in softlines. I pulled the 5 o'clock CAFs and set the line myself... while answering phones from the portable so that my one softlines team member could respond for backup. As LOD. And did I mention we beat sales by 25k without Rx? Made REDcard Goal too! It's not a safety hazard to wear roller skates to work, right?

the TL's at my store have set schedules. like set in unbreakable cement and there's nothing anybody can do to change it. they have "threatened" to destroy the best team survey if it is changed at all so hr is like, "oh yup, you can have your hours and you can all be scheduled together and take breaks at the same time." then they all leave at 430 and the closing LOD gets 1 sftm, 1market, 1 elec, from 4-close and has to work all the pulls, returns and attempt to zone the entire store while backing up at the lanes because hours are obviously slashed. TL's, in my store at least, are literally effing the store.

edit: i cant go into more detail or i would give myself away... but when back to school rolls around I am hoping all will return to normal or at least we will be getting more hours and my team will be happy

... I need to remember this quote. That's hilarious.

We have three SrTLs at my store (self included)- HL, GSTL, POG/Pricing. HL & GSTL each have a closing LOD night and on our weekend usually are LOD. The POG/Pricing has basically two LOD shifts per month... usually a Sat/Sun. So, basically 40 hours a week are taken from payroll for us to LOD. Of my 40 hours a week, 16 of them are usually LOD.

Last time I was closing LOD, we had very few team members... and my backroom & a cashier called out. I had no one in hardlines from 4p-6p. And only one in softlines. I pulled the 5 o'clock CAFs and set the line myself... while answering phones from the portable so that my one softlines team member could respond for backup. As LOD. And did I mention we beat sales by 25k without Rx? Made REDcard Goal too! It's not a safety hazard to wear roller skates to work, right?

I am a POG/Pricing SrTL. I wish I had 2 LOD shifts per month. I have 2 a week. Typically a weekend and one other day that rotates as E1 or close. The other 2 SrTL's both have 2 LOD shifts a week as well.
Your closing night sounds a lot like my last closing weekend. Call outs all over. I was left with 1 in SL, 1 in HL, 1 electronics, 1 Market. I basically zoned half of Hardlines while that TM was on for fast service, pushed abandons, and then helped zone Boys, Girls, and Infants. :-/

I was left with 1 in SL, 1 in HL, 1 electronics, 1 Market. I basically zoned half of Hardlines while that TM was on for fast service, pushed abandons, and then helped zone Boys, Girls, and Infants. :-/
This sounds like my store when we close every night, even without call outs. :(

then they all leave at 430 and the closing LOD gets 1 sftm, 1market, 1 elec, from 4-close and has to work all the pulls, returns and attempt to zone the entire store while backing up at the lanes because hours are obviously slashed. TL's, in my store at least, are literally effing the store.

A lot of stores have this issue. Since team leads basically count as team members...as far as myTime is concerned, it's thinking all the task related stuff such as zone, cafs, push, reshop etc is getting done. It doesn't take into account task-related things such as WTV, coachings(though there are probably no team members there, don't know who your salesfloor TL's are going to coach), documentation, reading redwire, keeping up on TWT, and all the other things TL's are expected to do, while at the same time cover the entire floor. They need to just be lumped in with ETL's and not let their payroll affect the hours of the rest of team. That way you don't run into a situation where all the payroll is being dumped into one specific time of day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back