Archived Soda merchandisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing that other stores in the area are allowing vendors to pull skids to the floor without them being on flats when the store is open. Any other stores out there allow this?

We don't..no pallets on the floor when the store is open...Brand and guest safety

Same here. No pallets after 8AM, for vendors OR us. Soda vendors here load up all their stuff on flats.

It happens here, but honestly, we're pressed for vehicles in the morning, not sure we'd do well to share even more. Target is the only retailer around here that has issues with pallets on the floor.

We'd never allow pallets on the floor.
Might drop a pallet on a flat if we had one handy but that's about it.

We load the skids on the flats for them and they take it out that way. I really don't understand how that's any different than pulling the skid out.

I have been told the main issue is nails potentially sticking out of the wooden pallets that could damage guests and the tiled floor (in no particular order). At my store we are usually pressed for flats, but we try to keep one in the receiving area for vendors. If not, they have two options: do something shady for an empty flatbed, or cross your fingers and try to sneak that pallet out onto the floor.

Our food truck team is facing a similar issue; they've taken to sticking a black plastic pallet underneath the wooden one. Just a tiny extra step in the food truck unload, pop the plastic pallet under the wood one, stage it in the cooler/freezer, and when they're ready to push the pallet they just jack it up and take it out to the floor. I don't know if that is in line with best practice or whatever, but it seems to be flying with the leadership here.

"Hey, we tried!"

We don't..no pallets on the floor when the store is open...Brand and guest safety

True that. The hardlines ETL yelled at one of the soda vendors for this because he kept bringing out the pallets to the floor.

My ctl gives the soda vendor, a flaming red for having a pallet on the floor after we are open or being late.

Last edited:
Ugh this rule killed me when I worked for Coke. There was a Super where the batshit crazy STL had the soda receiving area moved... used to be right around the corner from grocery but apparently it was better suited to be on the opposite side of the store from grocery. That was a long walk pushing full pallets of pop.

There were a handful of stores that were more relaxed on the rules though. Especially on big ads with drop pallets in the front, merchandisers will come in the afternoon/evening and do a second fill. If the pallets are destroyed I think stores are more willing to let the merch use a pallet jack, if not for their own convenience, for the sake of getting product back on the floor.

But yeah it's garbage that stacking a flat on a pallet and pushing that out to the floor is "safer" and more "brand". I can't see over the top of that pallet and once I get it rolling I'm not going to stop till it's where I want it to be so God help the little old lady or small child that strays in front of that train. Also, they take up more room in an aisle because the edge of the pallet is elevated and doesn't fit in the recessed space at the bottom of the gondola so you can't tuck it in to allow people to pass easier.

The only time they get away with a pallet on the floor may be Sunday morning when they are there early to set/fill an endcap. Other than that, they use flats.

We load the skids on the flats for them and they take it out that way. I really don't understand how that's any different than pulling the skid out.

Assuming equal weight, it's much harder to move a flat than a pallet jack. Once you get going, it's a lot harder to stop too. The "safety" reason is complete BS and made up by people who have never had to move freight on a sales floor.

I used to tell the vendors all the time it's on them if they get busted with the pallet on the floor after 8. Our store is short on flats too so it becomes an issue when the Pepsi/Coke guys are there are 9/10 am to push their product and not one vehicle is available. I usually would go on lunch or break around that time that way I can't get questioned 'why didn't you stop them.'

Vendor at 12:05: "Hey, if you could put this pallet on a flat for me, that'd be great."
Me: "Uh... I'm gonna be busy for a while with pulls, sorry."
Vendor: "Okay. I'll come back in five minutes and you can just do it then."
Me: "...."

Every single time. So glad when that guy left.

I think it's BS too. I've had to move them after they were put on the flats and they are really heavy to move especially on the nasty flats we have. It's a pain to have to load the skids up for each vendor too. I realize that there's no easy way to do it but it's a lot of wasted time and energy. I knew better but was hoping we didn't get the memo!

My soda vendors would be red if they had a pallet on the floor after the store was open too. In my store it was mostly because of the pallet jack. People would leave them in the up position as they were stocking. However I would do what I could to help them out. Dealing with all vendors can be tricky. If you treat them with respect and help them out so they can get to the next store, they will be golden. If you treat them like crap, you will get crap in return.When I started in consumables, I had multiple reds for a few months. Once they knew the expectations and that I would help them get flats, extra end cap space etc they were solid green. I was asked on a jet visit if my vendors were really that good when they looked at 4 consecutive scorecards, my STL spoke up and confirmed they were indeed that good!

I never understood this. We have tubs, pfresh green racks, flats, 3 tiers and whatever else out on the floor yet a pallet with pallet jack is unacceptable AFTER store open. If its such a safety hazard why is our flow process starting later and have boxes and pallets ALL OVER the store...cuz THATS safe :good:

I think it's BS too. I've had to move them after they were put on the flats and they are really heavy to move especially on the nasty flats we have. It's a pain to have to load the skids up for each vendor too. I realize that there's no easy way to do it but it's a lot of wasted time and energy. I knew better but was hoping we didn't get the memo!

I've taken to flipping over some of our flats, we get those annoying half a nail that gets stuck in the damned wheels. If you have an issue though, mark the flat and let your sft know. I believe for most of them they just need some bearings replaced or the wheel itself.

Pallet jacks if left in the up position while unattended can easily seriously injure a guest. If everyone used them correctly and put them down it wouldn't be an issue, but that just does't happen.

I really wouldn't mind the pallets on the floor for the soda vendors, they have a lot of product to fill, especially on the weekends. What I hate is when they pull their pallets out of their area in the back, and drop them in the aisle that connects to 2 stockrooms together, and there is hardly enough room to walk through nevermind getting tubs, flats and 3 tiers down. Of course, I really hate Saturdays when they leave about 15 pallets on the line for the weekend, and we have a truck that has to be setup for.

Ask the SFT about nails on the bottom of flats and how much work it is to fix the tiles when whoever it is drags the damn thing the whole way without even wondering why it's making a loud screeching noise.
I think the pallets the drinks come on are better built than most of the ones we get but they still get busted up.

We are a 7:30 unload store too. There pallets and jacks and skids and crap everywhere. Interesting how one store can say no because of safety and branding but another store gets told they can have them on the floor until noon. I guess Target feels our guests don't deserve the same treatment as the ones at other stores. If our store didn't have a group of 30 to 40 walkers in the morning, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

We are a 7:30 unload store too. There pallets and jacks and skids and crap everywhere. Interesting how one store can say no because of safety and branding but another store gets told they can have them on the floor until noon. I guess Target feels our guests don't deserve the same treatment as the ones at other stores. If our store didn't have a group of 30 to 40 walkers in the morning, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

With an unload process that late what other option is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back