Archived Someone has been fixing my punch correctionz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, I came in 45 mins late the other day and I forgot to clock in, then later in the week someone changed my clock in time to my normal time. This happens every time I forget a punch. Even before the end of my shift so I can actually fix it. Is this normal. It happens often enough to where I don't want to bring it up just in case they try to research and gimp my check

Sounds like leadership has your back. I do not know about normal, because we have a list of Team Members who have an incorrect(if any) punch and it is their responsibility to fix it as soon as they can.

I would recommend leaving it as it is. Also, I would recommend doing your absolute best to ensure they will not doing this anymore by clocking in on time. Do not abuse it.

I would speak up and say something. #1- you need to try and be on time and not forget to punch in/out. If it's happening often enough that's an issue in itself. However the bigger issue is you are aware of it and while you may not be the one changing the time it's considered time clock fraud. ( I've seen a TM fired for that). At least if I'm understanding your post right... Sounds like you came in late and they changed your punch to the correct start time. I would do the right thing and go to HR and discuss what's going on.

Sounds like leadership has your back. I do not know about normal, because we have a list of Team Members who have an incorrect(if any) punch and it is their responsibility to fix it as soon as they can.

I would recommend leaving it as it is. Also, I would recommend doing your absolute best to ensure they will not doing this anymore by clocking in on time. Do not abuse it.
Yeah, I mean sometime get here at 55 of the hour and someone changez it to 00 of the next so I goes both ways. I was just wondering who has the power to do this because other tms names end up on the punch correction sheet but I dont

I wouldn't say anything to anyone in leadership about it . I might would say something to your hr tm about it . I would just make sure I was on time from now on. If it happened again I would bring it up to leadership.

Yeah, I mean sometime get here at 55 of the hour and someone changez it to 00 of the next so I goes both ways. I was just wondering who has the power to do this because other tms names end up on the punch correction sheet but I dont

Changing your clock in from 7:55 to 8:00 for example is not cool. There is a grace period before you are late, but they are taking 5 minutes from you.

It's minor, but if they have done this a lot, there is s problem. Leaders should only fix obvious punch errors or errors they see directly.

This happened to me once. I realized I hadn't clocked out, but I was in the car already and I was working the next day so I figured I'd just do a punch correction the next day. I went to do the punch correction and there was already a punch there. It was for the exact time I was scheduled to (4pm), but I actually stayed slightly later because I got stopped on my way to the office with the time-clock and didn't leave until like 10/12 minutes after I was scheduled to leave. I didn't say anything, but it seemed odd that someone was so quick to put in a correction for me and no one asked me about it. Plus they have a sheet every week that says who needs to deal with a punch correction so it seemed weird that someone would just do my correction for me, but others end up on the sheet.

Changing your clock in from 7:55 to 8:00 for example is not cool. There is a grace period before you are late, but they are taking 5 minutes from you.

It's minor, but if they have done this a lot, there is s problem. Leaders should only fix obvious punch errors or errors they see directly.

I wonder if they are stealing those 5 minutes from every employee? Multiply that by every employee & it adds up to a lot of hours before long & a lot of lost wages.

I would ask other TMs if they ever noticed this & ask them to be on the lookout to see if they were losing any minutes.

This is pretty scandalous, if true! And heads should roll. (If true)

From the Department of Labor:

"Insignificant Periods of Time
In recording working time under the FLSA, infrequent and insignificant periods of time beyond the scheduled working hours, which cannot as a practical matter be precisely recorded for payroll purposes, may be disregarded. The courts have held that such periods of time are de minimis (insignificant). This rule applies only where there are uncertain and indefinite periods of time involved, a few seconds or minutes in duration, and where the failure to count such time is justified by industrial realities. As noted below, an employer may not arbitrarily fail to count any part, however small, of working time that can be practically ascertained.

For example, after clocking in you were assigned to another job. You transported your tools to the new job area and then informed the foreman that you were ill and went home without doing any additional work or clocking out. The time spent transporting the tools would be considered de minimis or insignificant because it was limited to this one time only.

Your employer must count as hours worked any part, however small, of your fixed or regular working time or identifiable periods of time you are regularly required to spend on duties assigned to you.

This policy is one that must be applied with common sense recognizing the practical realities of recording identifiable work time. Setting an artificial time limit is not sufficient. One must consider how frequently the activity is performed and whether the activity is actually part of the work the employee was hired to do.

Use of Time Clocks
Time clocks are not required under the FLSA. In those cases where time clocks are used, if you voluntarily come in before your regular starting time or remain after quitting time, you do not have to be paid for such periods provided, of course, that you do not do any work during this time. Early or late punching of the clock is not hours worked when no work is done.

Likewise, minor differences between the clock records and actual hours worked cannot ordinarily be avoided since all employees cannot clock in or out at precisely the same time. Major discrepancies should be discouraged, however, since doubt is raised as to the accuracy of the record of actual hours worked.

In some industries, particularly where time clocks are used, there has been the practice for many years of recording the employee’s starting and stopping time to the nearest 5 minutes, or to the nearest one-tenth or quarter of an hour. Presumably, these arrangements average out so that the all of the time actually worked by the employee is properly counted and the employee is fully compensated for all the time actually worked. Such practices of recording working time are acceptable, provided they do not result, over a period of time, in failure to count as hours worked all the time the employees have actually worked."

The HRTM is fixing your punches to reconcile all of their missing punches for the store. You will especially see this on a Monday because that is when payroll is due. What they should be doing is not fixing your punches, and let you miss getting paid for that day which is what would happen. What they are doing is a terminable offense.

Where do you check your punches? I never missed one and my checks seem to reflect it if i punch in the 5 min before for the grace period if I'm there but I'm curious to see now if it's been rounded up. Also does it automatically round up maybe to 00 just because it is a grace period so you're not late and maybe the system does it on those cases?

Last black friday I was scheduled to come in at 6pm for a 12 hr shift. ETL didnt show up to open the door until 7...clocked in, noticed a few days later that my clock in time was changed to 8...so hr changed it I would guess so as to not pay me for the extra 2 hours. When i went to fix it to 6pm because that's when I arrived at work it never got approved. Our store is so politically corrupt and people get fired for such little things I just kept my mouth shut about it. Our HR ETL is a bad person

Last black friday I was scheduled to come in at 6pm for a 12 hr shift. ETL didnt show up to open the door until 7...clocked in, noticed a few days later that my clock in time was changed to 8...so hr changed it I would guess so as to not pay me for the extra 2 hours. When i went to fix it to 6pm because that's when I arrived at work it never got approved. Our store is so politically corrupt and people get fired for such little things I just kept my mouth shut about it. Our HR ETL is a bad person

dude that is a hotline call, cause that is on film you being there.

HR has nothing to do do they jump on the punch corrections. They don't do interviews,, do not clean the break room,, they don't make the schedule. So that's all they have to do and it take 3 of them at my store to do this.

Yeah nope. The only thing or hrtm dares change for us is lunch punches. And she always tells us she did it.

If I wait more than five minutes to get out or in the building I submit a punch correction. With explanation. I am not wasting time for free. If they ever fought it if call the hotline right then. If that failed I'd call the state.

Yeah nope. The only thing or hrtm dares change for us is lunch punches. And she always tells us she did it.

If I wait more than five minutes to get out or in the building I submit a punch correction. With explanation. I am not wasting time for free. If they ever fought it if call the hotline right then. If that failed I'd call the state.

Yep what we do. Especially when they go on a "lock up all equipment" so you wait 20min after your shift to turn in equipment. I want them to know how much time they are wasting.

The HRTM is fixing your punches to reconcile all of their missing punches for the store. You will especially see this on a Monday because that is when payroll is due. What they should be doing is not fixing your punches, and let you miss getting paid for that day which is what would happen. What they are doing is a terminable offense.
False. HR is required to fix the punches in order to ensure payroll runs, however, they should be filling out a paper punch correction for you to sign on your next shift. It is then on you to inform them if the time they entered was incorrect as they can do a historical edit.

So if they are giving you the paper to sign saying you came in at say 8am for your 8-430shift, but you really didn't show until 825, and you sign the form, you just committed time clock fraud, not your HR. All we have to go off of is the schedule.

My time self service. View my timecard.

Is this one of those things that's only visible in store??

I had a punch corrected and usually I just trust hr and initial the sheet (not the punch correction form. It's a list of names and punched that were corrected) but I just remembered that I worked late a couple times last week and my schedule wasn't changed so I may be getting shorted a few hours. Naturally there's been no hr in store all day. I called twice. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for not reading the damn form.

My ETL once fixed my time after I hit meal compliance. She put it so that I started my lunch 5 minutes before my fifth hour. And I never heard anything about it. That was a close one!

HR has nothing to do do they jump on the punch corrections. They don't do interviews,, do not clean the break room,, they don't make the schedule. So that's all they have to do and it take 3 of them at my store to do this.

I can almost always end my shift joking about how stupid my job is to my HR ladies right before I clock out everyday, they laugh, and often joke back at me, making me laugh, and feeling better than I had before.... This is usually after they remind me I have a missing punch of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back