Archived Speaking Your Mind to Higher Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
With next month being the time my store does raises, I was wondering if anyone here has actually spoken up to any of their management or team leads about what they really feel about the store. I'm approaching my 4 year mark and making almost $1 past my starting salary, which is absolutely terrible compared to other companies, and feel like I'm getting screwed over badly. I self trained myself into most of the departments at my store besides softlines, which I refuse to do, and my management are aware of this and use me in most of them, but fail to help promote me. That's not to say I don't apply for the positions when they are available, but I count 3 instances alone in the past 2 years where people I've trained as new team members have already been promoted to a team lead position. I've only called out maybe 4x the whole time i've been with the company and have never no call no showed. When I do meet with my management to discuss my new raise, I'm definitely going to speak up about it, but I was wondering if anyone else has spoken up and what were the repercussions?

I know for sure I'm not capped out. All my raises combined for the 3 years of working here so far is only $0.91. I have numerous friends who've gotten jobs at printing places and other grocery markets recently and already make a couple dollars more than me, it's embarrassing. And I'm definitely exceeding the expectations for sales, I even write stupid Vibe cards to showcase what I did.

I've spoken up about many things in the past and i plan on continuing to bring up concerns on how things are being managed. I haven't had any repercussions brought on me. the concerns i brought up are being resolved so it worth challenging your Tls or Etls to improve themselves cause it can make a better work environment.

Speak up! Leadership at my store loves when TMs speak up instead of bad talking about it to other TMs. The open door policy is truly in effect at my store. ETL HR & STL created a big poster sign by the schedule board that reads:

"You got a question? Come talk to us!
Need more hours? Come talk to us!
Scheduling inconveniences? Come talk to us!
Ready to advance and develope? Come talk to us!
Need time off? Come talk to us!
Wages & benefits questions? Come talk to us!

Team members, our door is always open to assist you in every way possible. Don't forget to COME TALK TO US!"

I've approached them with a lot of stuff that has been going with me in my life. I can say it seems as if they all really cares about you, except for my direct ETL who I think generally doesn't want to be at Target anymore haha plus I never talk to her I go to ETL HR or STL.

And no I'm not brainwashed lol.

Speak up! Leadership at my store loves when TMs speak up instead of bad talking about it to other TMs. The open door policy is truly in effect at my store. ETL HR & STL created a big poster sign by the schedule board that reads:

Team members, our door is always open to assist you in every way possible. Don't forget to COME TALK TO US!"

I've approached them with a lot of stuff that has been going with me in my life. I can say it seems as if they all really cares about you, except for my direct ETL who I think generally doesn't want to be at Target anymore haha plus I never talk to her I go to ETL HR or STL.

Either you have the coolest ETLs ever or you drank a whole gallon of Kool-Aid before making this post. It's definitely NOT like this at every store.

Either you have the coolest ETLs ever or you drank a whole gallon of Kool-Aid before making this post. It's definitely NOT like this at every store.

Ikr? I guess I do have some of the best ones. I've been reading some of you guys posts about your leadership team and I can't image having your ETLs as leaders. I promise you I haven't drunken any kool-aid! Lol!!!

Ikr? I guess I do have some of the best ones. I've been reading some of you guys posts about your leadership team and I can't image having your ETLs as leaders. I promise you I haven't drunken any kool-aid! Lol!!!

Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

This is how I feel at my store! My ETL's are totally approachable! I've worked 5 different Target's and some of those Target's the ETL's were different. My first ETL-AP when I got hired in AP in 2006 was very intimidating. It was hard to approach her for anything. Then another ETL-AP didn't want to go by my school schedule when I was attending school. But my current ETL-AP is so cool and awesome and she is so flexible with scheduling she's the best one I have ever worked with. She also gets concerned when I have problems and does what she can to help out. My ETL-AP is like a mother to me and she looks out for me and our team. Any problem I have I go to her and it gets taken care of. In the absence of my ETL-AP, I go to the ETL-HR for anything and she is also super approachable! I once went to my ETL-HR and I talked to her about my development at Target and where I wanted to be. It turned out to be a good long conversation and I'm glad I had it. I get asked by all the ETL's if I'm the closing TPS and I usually say yes and they get excited by it because they know I work hard and I help out everyone to the best of my ability. If only I got paid a little more and we would get more hours, I would make the Target I work at my full time job! My Target isn't perfect of course and it has its share of problems but the positives of working at my Target outweigh the negatives by a lot. :)

Part of your leaderships role is be available to listen to you and to make you feel like Target cares. Since Target is not going to do anything about low pay, low hours, lack of benefits, and overworked staff the only card your leadership has is at least pretend like they care and listen. So if it makes you feel good to get things off your chest they should be willing to listen and make you feel like they care. Just do not expect them to be able to do anything beyond show some empathy for you.

Part of your leaderships role is be available to listen to you and to make you feel like Target cares. Since Target is not going to do anything about low pay, low hours, lack of benefits, and overworked staff the only card your leadership has is at least pretend like they care and listen. So if it makes you feel good to get things off your chest they should be willing to listen and make you feel like they care. Just do not expect them to be able to do anything beyond show some empathy for you.

For majority of the stores, that may be true. I just don't think they're pretending...at all. I approached my ETL HR for more hours for the next couple weeks because I had bills to take care of and she said ok. Guess what? Went from 27.5 hours to 38 hours for 3 weeks straight now I'm down to my regular but she added an extra hours and thirty minutes.

For majority of the stores, that may be true. I just don't think they're pretending...at all. I approached my ETL HR for more hours for the next couple weeks because I had bills to take care of and she said ok. Guess what? Went from 27.5 hours to 38 hours for 3 weeks straight now I'm down to my regular but she added an extra hours and thirty minutes.

@FlowingandWaving I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, knowing that not all stores are not the same but you need to do the same thing.
Some people are lucky enough to work in a place where the ETLs are old school, were trained by old timers or just happen to be good at their jobs.
They also might be working in golden stores with a certain amount of flexibility.
But most people work in stores with bad, poor, mediocre, or good but barely keeping their head above water management.
The stores are low volume with barely anyone on the floor and people have to fight for hours.
Read the threads and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Most of all keep repeating to yourself, not all stores are the same, not all stores are the same, etc. etc.

@FlowingandWaving I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, knowing that not all stores are not the same but you need to do the same thing.
Some people are lucky enough to work in a place where the ETLs are old school, were trained by old timers or just happen to be good at their jobs.
They also might be working in golden stores with a certain amount of flexibility.
But most people work in stores with bad, poor, mediocre, or good but barely keeping their head above water management.
The stores are low volume with barely anyone on the floor and people have to fight for hours.
Read the threads and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Most of all keep repeating to yourself, not all stores are the same, not all stores are the same, etc. etc.

Indeed! Not all of them are the same. I guess I am in a golden store comparing to you guys stores. And all my ETLs except 1 has been with the company for 4+ years. A couple came from other stores a while back entering their second and third rotation. I guess they've had time to practice and clear up their act lmao. I wish we can keep them forever, well at least until I'm done.

Idk? Maybe I have been drinking kool-aid a little too excessively. I have a question? Isn't we're suppose to be taking a "something something survey" pretty soon? Could that be the reason why they are easily approachable for the time being? -shrugs-

morale in our store is at an all time low.. we have had vistis from dtl and hr(whatever) the past couple weeks and none of the tm's have been holding back. you cant trust any etls in my store .. nothing is a secret and if you dont act like a nice little target robot you get treated like shit. personally im starting to notice the whole place is one big cult.

sorry i didn't even respond to the OP...

I would speak up. i do all the time even though I know nothing will change. its nice to get things off my chest as long as I dont hold out hope anything will come of it.

I have no problem speaking my mind to the ETLs. Never have. Whether it's something they want to hear or not, I have no problems talking about it - even to my STL. I have a very good relationship with them.

As far as promotions go, have you had direct discussions with them about your development? At least at my store, you're kind of responsible for perusing your own promotion. If you aren't on their asses about strengths and weaknesses and interviews and whatnot, they really don't care. Have you had discussions with your leaders about why you aren't getting those positions when they come up and what they think you need to work on? There are a lot of hoops to jump through. We all know that it's not always the most qualified people who get them, but the ones who are willing to play the game - which can definitely be disappointing.

I speak up. I have no Fs to give, though. I did at one point, but I've been waiting/expecting to be fired for months now. When the etl-hr went around doing those little chats or whatever, a couple of my coworkers asked me to say things for them... without saying they said it. They don't listen, anyway, so I don't think it matters.

thats the problem for so many years i thought the company really did care.. boy was the wool over my eyes! they put on a good show and i was blinded but now i see everything.

I don't think employee satisfaction is something they care much about. It may have been at one point, but I think everything they do just says the money is all that matters to them. And by they/them I mean the powers at be... so Greg and his crew

...Or when your paygrade has been eliminated reclassifying you as an overpaid TM.
At that point, the only raises you'll get is if you get an "O" (3%) or an EX" (2%) which will be chump change for all those yrs you busted your a$$.

...Or when your paygrade has been eliminated reclassifying you as an overpaid TM.
At that point, the only raises you'll get is if you get an "O" (3%) or an EX" (2%) which will be chump change for all those yrs you busted your a$$.

totally true im capped out as a tl.. i have to get ex or above to get a raise and when i do its nothing.. they are making it harder and harder or us to get an excellent though by putting things on our reviews like the best team survey results.. so basically if you lie and say everything is wonderful yoll have better BTS results and chance at a better review..

I would say don't do it. I have shared my questions, comments, complaints, and concerns with ETLs and it has always ended with me being the victim of a witch hunt and character assassination. I work at one of the bad stores so speaking your mind to ETLs is a no-no. It will just make things harder for you. ETLs do not want you to resist because it takes a portion of the small amount of power they have over you. They want you to be a yes person and blindly obey them. It's sad but true. It's best to just say yes and nod. When my review comes up, I am so tempted to say "if it's okay with you, can we just skip all of this and let me sign the review and give it to you and go back to work". I honestly don't want to hear an ETL read a script and then tell me lies about my performance because their reviews are bogus and rigged beyond rigged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back