Archived SrTL leading sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

trgt5plus

I'm the one who reads the handbook
In my store we recently promoted a SrTL, she deserves it and will definitely do a good job, but there is one thing that concerns me that no one else seems to think about. The new SrTL is sisters with one of the salesfloor TL. When she is LOD she will be leading her sister, I just don't feel this is ethical. I don't fell comfortable speaking with HR about this, but it is just not right.

I do not see the problem. .... oh wait you think the SrTL is thinking "My sister is a TL so lets give her less work and talk all day and risk my job" when she is actually thinking "I need to treat my sister like I do the other TL's or i risk my job"

I don't see a big issue here. TL and SrTL are pretty close together on the seniority scale... The only difference is that when the SrTL is LOD, they lead the entire store. But, from my experience, senior team leaders (and building leaders in general) usually partner with each other to create a plan. The LOD just happens to be the one making sure it gets done, and of course answering all the LOD calls and whatnot.

If she was a SrTL and her sister was a team member, THEN i could see an issue. But TL and SrTL? Not really.. They're both leaders in the building and even though one of them is a senior team lead, she really doesn't have too much authority over her sister. For our store (or, i guess my old store, now) LOD was basically just whoever got stuck dealing with all the LOD calls.

I can see where people may think there would be an issue. My advice is to wait and see if there is one ....if issues arise then take it from there.

I am sure the STL and HR were aware of this when they promoted her, plus she is not her sisters immediate supervisor. If you observe favoritism on her LOD shifts, then bring it to HRs attention but other than that I would not worry about it.

What may happen s that when the sister who is a Sr. TL has an LOD shift, they may not schedule the other sister who is a TL ti work that shift.

I can see where the concern is. At my store we had an ETL who's nephew was my flow TL. He was a sh** stirrer. When I first arrived there he would complain how the ETL-Replen discriminated against him and didn't let him lead. Kissed my butt basically. Well I told him that flow is his team, so lead them. Have an idea? Do it! Then when my Replen quit and we got a new Replen he did the same to me. He told the new Replen and HR that I discriminate against him and don't let him lead. By the way, I only worked with him twice a week. Then when I left, my Replen told me that now he's doing the same to him with the new Log.

I've tried coaching and CA's, HR just threw them out (friends with his aunt). He was accused of sexual harassment 3 times by 3 different TMs while I was there, nothing happened. All three TMs quit and each TM didn't know each other or worked at Target at the same time. He was obviously dating a subordinate (who was married) yet nothing happened. This guy was protected.

I did make our monthly status meetings uncomfortable. I always had him as my bottom performer and when my STL would ask for documentation I gave her my copies, which HR conveniently couldn't find. When I knew I was leaving, or at least didn't care at this point, I made his nights hard. For my other TLs I set them up for success. I had cages out, I bowled, I'd push an entire section before the truck was finished, I'd take care of beverages, almost anything to give them a head start. Hell I even jumped on the truck some nights so we could get out on the floor faster. When it was his night I sat in the office or helped backroom. Towards the end I just watched movies the entire night or sat in the break room watching TV. Also I would recognize the other TLs on how well they were doing at huddles. I gave him a reason to feel discriminated against in the end.

Why did he get away with stuff? Because TMs wouldn't come together and speak out against him. They were intimidated by his aunt and HR. My suggestion, speak up. Work with HR if you see something wrong. Collaborate with other TMs / TLs who feel the same way. Remember the hotline! It's there for a reason, but make sure not to call unless it's a last resort.

Also, don't worry until you see something wrong. Some relatives can work together well without showing favoritism. I know if my brother was a TL I'd treat him exactly the same as other TLs. No favoritism on my part because at work we are a team and each have to pull our own weight.

I had a Sr. TL who's son was a GSA.

They were never scheduled to close together. Other shifts, yes, but not close.

Are the family members in the same general area?

I don't see a huge issue. I have had sisters who were GSA and cashier/FATM work the same shifts.

SnrTLs just have the extra LOD duties of carrying keys and store/guest management. But there is no actual conflict of interest in supervisory roles.

OP, is the SrTL also Sales Floor? Then it would be a Conflict of interest.. If they're a Sr.GSTL or something though, not as much.

I do not see the problem. .... oh wait you think the SrTL is thinking "My sister is a TL so lets give her less work and talk all day and risk my job" when she is actually thinking "I need to treat my sister like I do the other TL's or i risk my job"

My older brother was in leadership, and he was my immediate supervisor. He was MUCH harder on me than he was on anyone else. However, our administrative coordinator had a daughter (different company), and she was instantly promoted to supervisor, despite being only 17, and not knowing much about the job. Her boyfriend was also hired and promoted. My sister was hired when I was in leadership; she never showed up to orientation. I would have been very difficult on her because I knew how she worked (she was at times, very unprofessional and was fired from almost every job she had held; she held 12 jobs, and lost 11 of them). I do not see the problem, as they were both working before she was promoted. If one is promoted, and the other quickly becomes promoted, or if one is in a leadership position when the other begins working, and becomes promoted quickly as well, then I would see an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back