Archived Starbucks drink recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here familiar with the Starbucks drink recipes? I'm still a barista-in-training at my Target. So far, I've memorized all the acronyms, but I have yet to fully absorb the step by step process of making each individual beverage. My manager told me that our Starbucks is a bit different compared to the actual one, so the ways we make some of our drinks are quite different also. Thus, the recipes that are available at the Starbucks website aren't helping as much as I had previously expected.

These are the drinks that I've gotten down so far:

Latte (hot):
1) Add shots (1 shot for tall, 2 for grande and venti).
2) Add steam milk.
3) Top it off with foam.

Cappuccino (hot):
Same steps as above but with more foam (dry).

Americano (hot):
1) Add shots
2) Add hot water
For iced version:
1) Add shots
2) Add cold water to half cup
3) Add ice

I'm still having trouble making the cold blended drinks such as the Vanilla Bean Frap, Java Chip Frap, Mocha Chocolate Chip Frap, Mocha Frap, Smoothies, etc. At our Starbucks, we have steps taped to the counter, each indicating how many pumps of syrups or mocha sauce need to be added to a drink of a particular size. But there are a few that require "one less pump," such as the Macchiatos. And then there are the ones that require "one more pump." I'm so confused :(.

Last edited:
Is anyone here familiar with the Starbucks drink recipes? I'm still a barista-in-training at my Target. So far, I've memorized all the acronyms, but I have yet to fully absorb the step by step process of making each individual beverage. My manager told me that our Starbucks is a bit different compared to the actual one, so the ways we make some of our drinks are quite different also. Thus, the recipes that are available at the Starbucks website aren't helping as much as I had previously expected.

Latte (hot):
2) Add steam milk.
3) Top it off with foam.

Cappuccino (hot):

Americano (hot):
1) Add shots
2) Add hot water
For iced version:
1) Add shots
3) Add ice

I'm still having trouble making the cold blended drinks such as the Vanilla Bean Frap, Java Chip Frap, Mocha Chocolate Chip Frap, Mocha Frap, Smoothies, etc. At our Starbucks, we have steps taped to the counter, each indicating how many pumps of syrups or mocha sauce need to be added to a drink of a particular size. But there are a few that require "one less pump," such as the Macchiatos. And then there are the ones that require "one more pump." I'm so confused :(.

I don't think the drink recipes should vary at all. I worked Starbucks for a long time and they should all be the same as any other Starbucks. Now it would be a waste of time to list every drink recipe, but I can give you the standard for frappuccinos.

Pump roast (2 tall, 3 grande, 4 venti)
Pour whole milk to first line
Pour in blender, add syrups and/or additives(usually 2,3,4)
Add base (2,3,4)
Add ice
Blend

There are so many exceptions, but I'm on my phone right now so it's hard to go into detail. I believe there is a forum you can use on here though. Memorization comes with experience though, good luck!

The basic drinks had better be the same or you'll have some really annoyed caffeine addicts on your hands.

I can't tell you on the fraps, those are Starbucks exclusive but they should be the same as the freestanding stores.

A few things to remember:
When doing lattes, get the milk steaming BEFORE you pull the shots or the shots sit there & darken. After 10 secs, they're burnt & have to be tossed. Wait 'til the milk has steamed about half-way before pulling shots.
Cappuccinos, pour without holding the foam (aka "free pour").
When doing iced lattes, you can add syrup & milk to the second line before putting it under to catch the shots (which will bring it up to the right level). Mix, ice to the top, cap & hand off. Remember that venti iced lattes get THREE shots, not two.
Iced Americanos, fill the cup with ice & pull the shots over the ice. Add water (& more ice if needed) before capping & handing off.
Frappucinos all have the basic receipe:
-Pumps of coffee base (unless it's cream-based) tall-2, grande-3, venti-4
-milk up to the bottom line, pour into a frapp pitcher, add frapp base, appropriate scoop of ice, toppings/flavors/additives & blend
-pour into the cup, add whip & toppings (if specified), cap & hand off.

Latte (hot):
2) Add steam milk.
3) Top it off with foam.

Cappuccino (hot):

Americano (hot):
1) Add shots
2) Add hot water
For iced version:
1) Add shots
3) Add ice

I don't think the drink recipes should vary at all. I worked Starbucks for a long time and they should all be the same as any other Starbucks. Now it would be a waste of time to list every drink recipe, but I can give you the standard for frappuccinos.

Pump roast (2 tall, 3 grande, 4 venti)
Pour whole milk to first line
Pour in blender, add syrups and/or additives(usually 2,3,4)
Add base (2,3,4)
Add ice
Blend

There are so many exceptions, but I'm on my phone right now so it's hard to go into detail. I believe there is a forum you can use on here though. Memorization comes with experience though, good luck!

I just got back from work. I managed to jot down a lot of the recipes onto my iPhone during my short break period. So far I'm still a bit confused when it comes to Frap with Mocha sauce. For example, if I'm making a grande Double Chocolate Chip Frap, how many pumps of the mocha sauce do I put into the pitcher? I think it was 2, but I'm not sure. Does it vary depending on cup size?

Yeh, it depends on cup size.
Whether it's pumps of syrup/frapp base, scoops of chips/matcha/vanilla, it's always 2 for tall, 3 for grande & 4 for venti.
Ex: a grande java chip would have 3 pumps of coffee base, 3 pumps of frapp base, 3 pumps of mocha, 3 scoops of chips, milk to the bottom line of the cup & a grande scoop of ice.

And then there are people like me who order a Vente Mocha Frapp with six shots of espresso, no whipped cream and use the coffee base.
Hint: you serve it in two large cups.

I managed to come up with a list of Frap drinks that I've memorized so far! I hope this will help up-and-coming barista in the near future. Please let me know if any of them is wrong. That'd be much appreciated.

Frappuccinos:

CRCF (Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino)
1) Add pumps of coffee (2-3-4).
2) Add milk to the first line of the cup.
3) Throw content into a pitcher.
4) Add caramel syrup (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
6) Add pumps of coffee-based syrup (2-3-4).
7) Blend.
8) Drizzle caramel sauce around the inner walls of the cup.
9) Top the drink with regular whipped creme and caramel drizzle.
10) Sprinkle the top with ribbon crunch.

VBF (Vanilla Bean Frap) - Creme
1) Add milk to the first line of the cup.
2) Throw content into a pitcher.
3) Add scoops of vanilla bean powder (2-3-4).
4) Add a scoop of ice.
5) Add creme-based syrup (2-3-4).
6) Blend.
7) Top the drink with regular whipped cream.

MCCF (Mocha Cookie Crumble Frap)
1) Add pumps of coffee (2-3-4)
2) Add milk to the first line of the cup.
3) Throw content into pitcher.
4) Add scoops of chocolate chips (2-3-4).
5) Add pumps of mocha sauce (2-3-4).
6) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Add coffee-based syrup (2-3-4).
8) Blend.
9) Top the drink with chocolate whipped cream and chocolate chip cookie crumbles.

CRF (Caramel Frap)
2) Add milk to the first line of cup.
4) Add caramel syrup (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
6) Add coffee-based syrup (2-3-4).
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and caramel drizzle.

DCCF (Double Chocolate Chip Frap) - Creme
1) Add milk to the first line of cup.
2) Throw content into pitcher.
3) Add scoops of chocolate chips (2-3-4).
4) Add pumps of mocha sauce (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
6) Add creme-based syrup (2-3-4).
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and mocha sauce drizzle.

STCF (Strawberries and Creme Frap)
2) Add Strawberry milk (?) to the second line of cup.
4) Add pumps of classic syrup (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
6) Add creme-based syrup (2-3-4).
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream.

JCF (Java Chip Frap)
3) Throw content into the pitcher.
4) Add scoops of chocolate chip (2-3-4).
5) Add coffee-based syrup (2-3-4).
6) Blend.
7) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and mocha sauce drizzle.

STBF (Strawberry Banana Frap) - Smoothies
2) Add Strawberry milk (?) to the second line.
4) Add 2 scoops of protein powder.
5) Add 1 banana.
6) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Add creme-based syrup (2-3-4).
8) Blend.
9) Top the drink with regular whipped cream (?)

CHCF (Chai-Creme Frap) - need verification
1) Add pumps of Tazo Chai (2-3-4?)
4) Add a scoop of ice.
5) Add creme-based syrup (2-3-4).
6) Blend.
7) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkle.

MF (Mocha Frap)
4) Add pumps of mocha sauce (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream.

EF (Espresso Frap) - Need verification
4) Add espresso shots (1-2-3).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream?

CDF (Cinnamon Dolce Frap)
4) Add Cinnamon Dolce syrup (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and cinnamon seasoning.

HF (Hazelnut Frap)
4) Add Toffee Nut syrups (2-3-4).
5) Add a scoop of ice.
7) Blend.
8) Top the drink with regular whipped cream and Hazelnut drizzle.

With all that memorizing, I would never be able to work at Starbucks. I suffer from CRS.
Meh, make a few hundred a day & you'll get it down.
@lazyartist: you're right on the chai frappucino but go back & check your recipe card on the espresso & hazelnut ones.
We were surprised to see NO shots added to the espresso frappucino, just a coffee frapp with espresso whip & drizzle.
The mocha cookie crumble also calls for vanilla syrup.
Also, our hazelnut recipe didn't include toffee nut but I'll look again when I go in later.

I see a few things wrong, but I'm getting ready for work so I could be wrong because multi tasking isn't my specialty...

CRCF gets dark caramel before the whipped, not all of them have Xcr.

MCCF has vanilla in it. Tall and grande get 1 pump while venti gets 2.

STCF has less sweetener if I remember correctly. 1 for a tall and grande, 2 for a venti. Check the card to be 100% though.

SBS(strawberry banana smoothie) gets no base! It's suppose to be a different texture/healthier than a frappuccino. It's made with 2% as well and gets a much smaller scoop of ice(has it's own size many stores don't have so use a tall scoop not all the way full).

However, hazelnut frappuccino DOES get toffee nut, only hazelnut ingredient is the drizzle. I'll read more later and try to help :)

Last edited:
I see a few things wrong, but I'm getting ready for work so I could be wrong because multi tasking isn't my specialty...

STCF has less sweetener if I remember correctly. 1 for a tall and grande, 2 for a venti. Check the card to be 100% though.

SBS(strawberry banana smoothie) gets no base! It's suppose to be a different texture/healthier than a frappuccino. It's made with 2% as well and gets a much smaller scoop of ice(has it's own size many stores don't have so use a tall scoop not all the way full).

However, hazelnut frappuccino DOES get toffee nut, only hazelnut ingredient is the drizzle. I'll read more later and try to help :)

Thank you so much! Today was my third or fourth day of training for Starbucks. I made quite a few mistakes and second guessed myself a lot. On top of that, I had to work with my manager, who was a bit passive aggressive; she tried to hide her frustration behind a fake smile, but I could tell that she was a bit fed up with my incompetence. I'm a very slow learner, so I felt stupid every time I had to ask her to repeat certain things twice. One guest ordered a STCF, but I ended up making a VBF (I don't know why I did; it could be because I was nervous and frustrated). Another guest ordered a KCM (kid's chocolate milk), yet I made a freaking kid's hot chocolate instead. Two drinks wrong in one 4-hour shift. Horrible. I feel defeated. Can anyone offer some tips and advice for the future? :(

Last edited:
It's like anything that's fast paced and has a steep learning curve, you have to chill a bit.
If you find yourself getting flustered, stop, take a few deep breaths, and think about what you need to do.
They write the orders on the cups when there are two people working, no reason not to do it when you're on your own if it helps you remember.

Having your boss standing there is always going to be difficult but don't let it rattle you.
Reinforce to them when you do things right so there is a balance to when you do it wrong.
Most of all, smile and look like you are having fun.
I know that is really difficult but many mistakes will be forgiven to someone who is easygoing and good with the guests

Thank you so much! Today was my third or fourth day of training for Starbucks. I made quite a few mistakes and second guessed myself a lot. On top of that, I had to work with my manager, who was a bit passive aggressive; she tried to hide her frustration behind a fake smile, but I could tell that she was a bit fed up with my incompetence. I'm a very slow learner, so I felt stupid every time I had to ask her to repeat certain things twice. One guest ordered a STCF, but I ended up making a VBF (I don't know why I did; it could be because I was nervous and frustrated). Another guest ordered a KCM (kid's chocolate milk), yet I made a freaking kid's hot chocolate instead. Two drinks wrong in one 4-hour shift. Horrible. I feel defeated. Can anyone offer some tips and advice for the future? :(

I would take two mistakes in a four hour shift as a win, especially in your first week. I used to make mistakes every day even after a year of experience. Just remember the standard recipe for most drinks and then the exceptions will come with experience!

Lazyartist, I think you're doing great! It took me a very long time to learn all the drinks and now and then I still make the wrong drink or do something a little off. You're human and you are going to make mistakes. Just be patient with yourself and the TMs and before you know it you'll be able to make those drinks on the fly. :)

Just from someone who doesn't work Starbucks, what does the (2-3-4) mean?

Just from someone who doesn't work Starbucks, what does the (2-3-4) mean?
I think they are the shots.

2-3-4 is like, 2 pumps for a tall, 3 for a grande, 4 for a venti. For frappuccinos at least. For lattes it can be 3-4-5-6. Teas can be 3-4-6-7. There are a bunch of different ones and they can refer to syrups, additives, or shots really.

(2-3-4) is usually for frappucinos: pumps of base syrup, coffee base, flavor syrups, scoops of chips/vanilla bean powder, matcha powder etc.
Pumps refer to syrups whereas espresso is referred to in shots:
espresso shots for lattes - short or tall (1), grande or venti (2), iced venti (3)
The difference in ventis is because the HOT venti cup is 20oz while the ICED venti cup is 26oz, hence the 3rd shot.
Americanos - short (1), tall (2), grande (3), venti (4) hot OR iced
syrup pumps for NON-frappucino drinks - short (2), tall (3), grande (4), venti (5), venti iced (6)
Again, the iced venti is larger (26oz) than the hot venti (20oz) so it gets an extra pump.

<Not Target related> but what is the PROPER way to make an iced coffee with milk?

The Starbucks behind my office in a grocery store free hands the milk... Filling the cup up almost to the top, then free handing what amounts to be a be a few teaspoons of milk + the ice. It tastes absolutely horrible and I end up having to pour a little bit out and replacing it with the milk out on the counter.

But I swear I've seen an actual Starbucks put the milk in first to one of the lines, then the coffee, then the milk. Those taste much better and I don't have to add anything.

Just wondering :)

<Not Target related> but what is the PROPER way to make an iced coffee with milk?

The Starbucks behind my office in a grocery store free hands the milk... Filling the cup up almost to the top, then free handing what amounts to be a be a few teaspoons of milk + the ice. It tastes absolutely horrible and I end up having to pour a little bit out and replacing it with the milk out on the counter.

But I swear I've seen an actual Starbucks put the milk in first to one of the lines, then the coffee, then the milk. Those taste much better and I don't have to add anything.

Just wondering :)

I don't think there's an actual measurement. If someone wants milk I usually put it in before the coffee, not to measure it on the cup, but because I find it easier to find a stopping point in the color. If it's light milk it'll be darker and if it's extra it'll be almost a whiteish color. I think technically we are suppose to do an inch of milk? I'm really not sure, but i can't think of a time a guest complained about too much milk or too little, usually they say Starbucks iced coffee is weak though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back