Archived Starbucks Team Lead Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex2015

Starbucks TL
On Tuesday, I went to the district office for a team lead interview with some STLs and the DTL, and they already offered me a position as a Starbucks Team Leader at a nearby store. I am a GSA at a Target store that doesn't have a Starbucks, so I know absolutely nothing about this work center. I was told that I would have to wait 18 months before I could move to a different work center, and I'm afraid that I will be stuck in such an isolated area of the store.

How are the hours for TLs at Starbucks?
Do the TLs at Starbucks interact with other work centers (ex: helping with breaks, etc)?
If I decline this position, will it ruin my chances of being pulled from the bench in the near future?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback/wisdom that you guys can offer me. Thank you!

For the SBTL at my store, he pretty much set his hrs according to what he needed to get done.
Like other TLs he got between 35-40 hrs/wk but he varied his shifts. He made sure he was working when the order needed to be scanned (whether he was scanning or training someone to scan), for resets he'd work closing shift, he'd work mid when the order came in. He knew how much time he had to spend off-stage (vibe walks, meeting with the SBDM, putting in work orders, writing schedules, etc) & made sure he had coverage.
He & our FATL worked together a lot since we were all cross-trained. They could cover for each other as a result & they were usually on the same page when dealing with TM issues.
He & our FATL didn't do too much outside our area, tho. Some people do consider it a black hole career-wise but I've seen a few folks move thru.
If you were to decline this position, it might impact your future chances but you could voice concerns about the unique challenges of working under Target AND Starbucks for your first position.

18 months is the rule of thumb for leadership rotations, but it may vary depending on your store and district leadership. If you accept the position, you would likely train at another store with an experienced Starbucks TL.

How are the hours for TLs at Starbucks?
Do the TLs at Starbucks interact with other work centers (ex: helping with breaks, etc)?

I can't speak for every store and every Starbucks, but as a TL, you would generally get 40 hours. At my store, the Starbucks TL coordinates with the GSTL/GSA and/or Food Ave to ensure coverage for breaks, etc. and the CTL for milk and other consumables-related things. She has even covered GSTL breaks on occasion, but only because she was previously a GSTL and actually knows front end policies.

Starbucks is as isolated as you want it to be. You can choose to stay in your corner of the store and run it as if it were it's own store inside a store and it'll be fairly peaceful. This is where you get into trouble career wise because you probably won't get recognized for what you do and you certainly won't be seen as a team player with the right leadership skills.

As a GSA, you'll have an advantage to stay involved in the rest of the store. The easiest area to help out is the rest of the front end, and you have experience running the front. You know the struggles and how to help out, so you should help where you can. Starbucks will be your first priority, but the rest of the front end will be second. If you have 2 people working at Starbucks and no line, but there are lines at the front - go help cashier! If you're alone at Starbucks and there are lines at the front, maybe make some samples to make the guests happy while they're waiting in those long lines (vanilla bean frap is basically a vanilla milkshake, so most people will be happy to get a sample of it).

I always keep a walkie on me, and usually a mydevice. If I have the time, I'll cover the GSTL break/lunch, go out and get carts, whatever needs done to help the store operate smoothly. I will say that you'll need to focus on Starbucks for a while to make sure it is going well. You don't want to spend time outside your own workcenter if your workcenter is failing, but I have a good enough team that I could spend about 4 hours per week in Starbucks and it would still survive. Depending on you, your store, and tons of factors that you have no control over, it may take you 2 months or 2 years to get to that point.

Understand how Starbucks fits into the store as a whole. It creates a better experience for both guests and team members. For guests who come in to buy stuff at Target, they might stop by Starbucks (this is where sampling drinks to guests can possibly create revenue), which increases sales. Some guests will come in specifically for Starbucks, but maybe they'll come in often enough and end up spending some money in the rest of the store. Either way, Starbucks is almost always an amazing experience for a guest.

Starbucks is as isolated as you want it to be. You can choose to stay in your corner of the store and run it as if it were it's own store inside a store and it'll be fairly peaceful. This is where you get into trouble career wise because you probably won't get recognized for what you do and you certainly won't be seen as a team player with the right leadership skills.

As a GSA, you'll have an advantage to stay involved in the rest of the store. The easiest area to help out is the rest of the front end, and you have experience running the front. You know the struggles and how to help out, so you should help where you can. Starbucks will be your first priority, but the rest of the front end will be second. If you have 2 people working at Starbucks and no line, but there are lines at the front - go help cashier! If you're alone at Starbucks and there are lines at the front, maybe make some samples to make the guests happy while they're waiting in those long lines (vanilla bean frap is basically a vanilla milkshake, so most people will be happy to get a sample of it).

I always keep a walkie on me, and usually a mydevice. If I have the time, I'll cover the GSTL break/lunch, go out and get carts, whatever needs done to help the store operate smoothly. I will say that you'll need to focus on Starbucks for a while to make sure it is going well. You don't want to spend time outside your own workcenter if your workcenter is failing, but I have a good enough team that I could spend about 4 hours per week in Starbucks and it would still survive. Depending on you, your store, and tons of factors that you have no control over, it may take you 2 months or 2 years to get to that point.

Understand how Starbucks fits into the store as a whole. It creates a better experience for both guests and team members. For guests who come in to buy stuff at Target, they might stop by Starbucks (this is where sampling drinks to guests can possibly create revenue), which increases sales. Some guests will come in specifically for Starbucks, but maybe they'll come in often enough and end up spending some money in the rest of the store. Either way, Starbucks is almost always an amazing experience for a guest.

Thank you for your feedback! Some of the people I asked made it seem like it would be similar to a McDonalds inside of a Walmart, where there is absolutely no interaction between different workcenters. I would definitely be interested in at least branching out to cover breaks and helping overall store operations, after I become comfortable with my own work center.

For the SBTL at my store, he pretty much set his hrs according to what he needed to get done.
Like other TLs he got between 35-40 hrs/wk but he varied his shifts. He made sure he was working when the order needed to be scanned (whether he was scanning or training someone to scan), for resets he'd work closing shift, he'd work mid when the order came in. He knew how much time he had to spend off-stage (vibe walks, meeting with the SBDM, putting in work orders, writing schedules, etc) & made sure he had coverage.
He & our FATL worked together a lot since we were all cross-trained. They could cover for each other as a result & they were usually on the same page when dealing with TM issues.
He & our FATL didn't do too much outside our area, tho. Some people do consider it a black hole career-wise but I've seen a few folks move thru.
If you were to decline this position, it might impact your future chances but you could voice concerns about the unique challenges of working under Target AND Starbucks for your first position.

I was afraid that the GE and myTime would dictate my shifts, but it's good to know that there will be some flexibility with my hours. I went to another store and spoke to a SBTL and he pretty much said the same thing as you. Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback!

I think myTime generates a schedule, but I write a schedule and give it to the HRTM and she deletes all of myTime's stuff because it's awful and puts in mine.

Let me know if you have any questions, either here or in a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back