Archived Starting Business College soon (ETL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! With ae15 & etl hr is uncertain. Get everything in writing, if possible. Expect to work 50 to 60 hours for spot. Expect no holidays off. Keep your resume up to date. Spot is known to drop you, as fast as they hire you. It has happened at my store, recently.
Here is the link to ther guy:
http://targetfiling.blogspot.com
Interesting read..

It depends on your area. The quality of the districts is really inconsistent, so while some areas have terrible turnover and work life balance, others do not have any issues. The ETL position itself is not inherently terrible, but when it is bad it can be a miserable time. Some people luck into some really nice STLs and DTLs who have kept their ships afloat through all these changes, and that is where you will want to land!

Position: If they've openly said they're leaning towards HR, there's probably a pretty decent chance; but don't be surprised if they put you in one of your "opportunity area's" instead of one of your strengths.

Positives: The people. Even though you'll hear complaints on complaints, the strong relationships you'll build with your peers and team members balance out just about any con. I wasn't fond of my position but I loved all the team members I got to work with every day. I'd look at "challenging yourself" as a positive, too.. You're always being pushed to new limits, so you're always building on your skill-sets and knowledge. Also, high potential team members! Even though I was just GSA and store-trainer, I always lit up when I got to help cross train and develop top performers.

Job Security: I had a good district, so the ETL turnover was extremely low where I'm from.. You'll rotate positions every 18-24 months or so, but an ETL getting termed isn't too common (unless you're absolutely horrendous, but if that's the case you'll probably know before it happens.)

My advice: Have fun with it! If you're genuinely motivated and engaged and excited about your work, your teams will follow suit and it'll be a better overall experience for you

Welcome! With ae15 & etl hr is uncertain. Get everything in writing, if possible. Expect to work 50 to 60 hours for spot. Expect no holidays off. Keep your resume up to date. Spot is known to drop you, as fast as they hire you. It has happened at my store, recently.
What do you mean drop? As in fire you? What are grounds for firing outside of being an idiot?
I had lost an new etl, before they set foot in my store after 2 months of waiting,

I'm in Business College now. From what I know so far, the HR guy in my class is up in the air. He is training to be HR, but it's not guaranteed that he will either get it or stay in that position. The ETL-HR trainer here is also ETL-AP. It's not uncommon to see only three ETLs in ULV low risk stores.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I'm in Business College now. From what I know so far, the HR guy in my class is up in the air. He is training to be HR, but it's not guaranteed that he will either get it or stay in that position. The ETL-HR trainer here is also ETL-AP. It's not uncommon to see only three ETLs in ULV low risk stores.

How have you enjoyed it so far? What's it been like? When do you find out what store or position you have been assigned to?

It's pretty much watching videos and doing general orientation stuff so far. I start one on one with my trainer soon! I like learning new stuff, so I like it so far! It's a lot of info thrown at you so pay attention! They should let you know your position and your store the first day.

It's pretty much watching videos and doing general orientation stuff so far. I start one on one with my trainer soon! I like learning new stuff, so I like it so far! It's a lot of info thrown at you so pay attention! They should let you know your position and your store the first day.

That's great! Last question, what should I expect my hourly rate to be for BC? Assuming my salary range is around 50K.

One more thing, they are really strict about working off the clock and breaks while you're hourly during these six weeks.

One more thing, they are really strict about working off the clock and breaks while you're hourly during these six weeks.
Can you explain a little further?

Will you have a set, predetermined schedule? Do you have weekends off? (For BC)

They give you a set printed schedule, but it is very up and down. One weekday and weekend day is an off day within a week (every week). I have to open one shift then close on another within the same week. Every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) is free!

Last edited:
I have an ETL who was told he was going to be a food ETL. He trained for that at his training store, blah, blah, blah. A week before he came to our store, he was told he was switching to a different position and had a week to learn everything. It's worked out fine for him...but it's weird...we all knew for about three weeks he was coming to our store, but he didn't? Great communication!

While ETL terms aren't high, ETL benchings or repositioning might be an issue. With the 2014 rollout, multiple ETL positions were eliminated, so those ETL's were either given new positions they may or may not have been comfortable with....or were "Benched"...meaning you're kinda floating around doing nothing and possibly taking a pay cut.

If ETL-HR does get reduced/cut with 2015, expect to be asked to take on ETL Salesfloor or ETL GE, where you will promptly relist your resume and get the hell out ASAP.

@cesc - check out this thread with similar questions http://thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/how-long-is-business-college.9471/

For other questions - don't worry about ETL turnover. I would say it's more about the ETL quitting than being termed. Not everyone likes working weekends/holidays/evening hours or working 50+hours a week. Out of the 10 ETLs I trained with, only 1 is left after 1.5 years. Most either quit shortly after business college or stuck it out for a year and left after receiving a low bonus. Very few of our ETLs were termed but it can happen. If an ETL position is cut, they will offer you another position but it may not be anywhere near your current store's location. They can fill an ETL void anywhere in the group with you.

If you get ETL-HR, love it. Take advantage of all the training you will get. HR is in every company so you can take your skills and move to a company that works M-F 9-5 later in life. Otherwise go with logistics. I had several job opportunities after being a Log.

Keep your enthusiasm up! It will keep you motivated and it will motivate your team. Respect every TM and don't assume they are doing things wrong or doing things wrong on purpose. You will be drilled with Best Practices - my suggestion - use common sense. Not all stores fit into the small Best Practice box.

I really hope I get HR. My academic background is closer to that position and it's something I genuinely want to do as a career. Any advice on making myself look as if that position was destined for me?

we're extremely high risk with 3 etls.. lol

Do you have an APTL or are you short an ETL?

They're

Target is really trimming the fat!

They're

Target is really trimming the fat!
The impression I'm getting is that Spot's trimming the muscle and sometimes bone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back