Archived Steritech

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
I'm curious what your store has been "dinged" for by Steritech. We've been dinged for not having soap in the dispenser in Bakery, water not warming up and for people not following the cleaning cards for organic cleaning, as well as dust on the vents in FA. We had a minor ding once for a cart blocking the eyewash station.

We got dinged for a tiny bit of mold along the outer edge of the ice machine, dust along the top of menu boards, newbs not knowing sanitizer protocols (concentration levels, testing, expry), broken soap dispenser.

Backroom: BBO2 (chem) in same waco as BBO1 (food), lighters in same waco as food (both CNDY fillgroup), cat litter stored above pet food, any chemical stored above food, eggs stored above other dairy, raw meat stored above cooked meat or other cross-contamination culprits, we've had all those because idiots work for us. Receiving: Food delivery temp log not signed by LOD is a critical, food donation not properly located. They check every inch of the store, there are hundreds of ways to ding, it just depends on where you're looking.

We get nailed for Pets (Chem) mixed with Pet (Food).... it's usually 1 stupid flea collar

Some of the more petty things have been for having our QMOS bin in front of the hand washing station. Also for not having a dedicated waste bin for used paper towels? (Because apparently it's not good enough to throw them in the processed QMOS trash which is going to go into the same compactor anyways). Some of the bigger things over time have been chemicals above/mixed with food on vehicles, pet chemicals above pet food, eggs above dairy, LODs not signing the receiving logs...

Some of the more petty things have been for having our QMOS bin in front of the hand washing station. Also for not having a dedicated waste bin for used paper towels? (Because apparently it's not good enough to throw them in the processed QMOS trash which is going to go into the same compactor anyways). Some of the bigger things over time have been chemicals above/mixed with food on vehicles, pet chemicals above pet food, eggs above dairy, LODs not signing the receiving logs...
Don't even get me started on LODs not signing a piece of paper.

BIC lighters above candy/in the same waco, beverages in the back room (95% of those were left from the overnight team), cat litter above food, dead mouse in a waco, dead mouse elsewhere in the back room, meats not being backstocked/pulled correctly, pets/pet2 mixed

We usually spot these things before steritech comes around. I love it when some of the ETLs spend their time BSing all day, then want to show some hustle when we're expecting a "visit".

1) Kitty litter found in a BR location above dry cat food

2) Dusty vents in food ave

3) Cracked/torn rubber gaskets in food ave fridge

4) Ice build-up in salesfloor cooler

5) Gap between door and threshold to outside was too wide

6) "Chemical Use form" not corrected filled out

7) No donations within the timeframe (GM ULV store... The soup kitchen won't pick up the food unless it was at least a half-pallet of merchandise)

8) The 3=compartment sink not set-up correctly.

And my favorite... We had guy in Food Ave... He was a shift supervisor for McDonalds, so while he wasn't new to safety inspections, it was the first time with our strict Steritech guy. The SL ETl was prepping him and making sure he knew the answer to the Elimen-x question. He says its got it and not to worry about it...

Steritch auditor goes over. This shy kid turns into Billy Mays... "Oh you want to see my temp logs? But wait there's more!" "Of course I'm going to let a food contact surface Air dry!"

Auditor was impressed. He then asks the Elimex Question. Kid does it perfectly (most stores failed the ?) until... He poured the sample DOWN THE HANDWASHING SINK. Auditor says "Well you got it perfect! But I have to deduct the point for pouring it down the handwashing sink"

Ooops

Last edited:
Yep, never pour it down the skink.
We got dinged one time when a non-food TM came around behind the counter, grabbed a cold cup & used it to scoop ice (instead of the scoop) before filling it.
He couldn't understand why my FATL was giving him looks of death as the Steritech lady was marking us off.
After that, all non-food TMs were banned from coming behind the counter.

Gotta ask, what is Elimin-x? Never used it in p-fresh.

dead mouse in a waco, dead mouse elsewhere in the back room
I know we have a mouse somewhere, but to find it dead in a waco? Gah!!
7) No donations within the timeframe (GM ULV store... The soup kitchen won't pick up the food unless it was at least a half-pallet of merchandise)
I didn't realize Steritech had say in donations.
He poured the sample DOWN THE HANDWASHING SINK. Ooops
LOL noooo!

Don't even get me started on LODs not signing a piece of paper.
I spent an hour yesterday flipping through the logs and getting someone to sign them. Sigh...

We got dinged for a tiny bit of mold along the outer edge of the ice machine, dust along the top of menu boards, newbs not knowing sanitizer protocols (concentration levels, testing, expry), broken soap dispenser.
Yeah I never knew the sanitizer protocols either, lol. Luckily didn't do Food Service enough to have a chance to be audited.

When my store had FA, we always got told our vents were too dusty, as well as needing to clean the inside of the ice dispenser since it sometimes got icky.

Now that it's Starbucks, we seem to be doing better. Everyone knows the protocols for the sinks/sanitizer, but we kept the soda and icee machines which are a pain to clean. The nozzles get soaked over night but aren't always as clean as they need to be.

My store usually does well with steritech, thank god

Re: soda nozzles - when the opener comes in, have them dump out the water & replace it with hot water. When you go to put the nozzles on, make sure you wipe 'em out first.
Our steritech lady carries a retractable wand-like stick that she uses to scrape in corners, up nozzles or underneath.

I'm not sure why other departments get dinged for boxes on the floor... but we had empty cardboard trash boxes on the floor. Perhaps it's only boxes with food still in them that dings?

dead mouse in a waco, dead mouse elsewhere in the back room
I know we have a mouse somewhere, but to find it dead in a waco? Gah!!
I didn't realize Steritech had say in donations.
He poured the sample DOWN THE HANDWASHING SINK. Ooops
LOL noooo!

They used to have a requirement that a food donation had to occur every so often (every 10 days?). I'm guessing it was to ensure food wasn't sitting around the backroom. If you couldn't show a receipt of donation within the timeframe, you lost the points.

Pretty sure it was phased out prior to my departure. The guy didn't ask on my last visit.

The ice dispenser on the soda machine.. way up top where the door opens, can get dirty if you don't stick a brush up there and clean it.. we got dinged for that once. Dumping ice water that was used to calibrate thermometer in the hand washing sink and some other stuff I can't remember.

-having our grocery pulls put in shopping carts (big NO NO)
-having cardboard and trash in shopping carts
-COOL labels
-backstock all the way up to the ceiling in the cooolers
-uncooked baccon backstocked with lunch meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back