Store cleaner being used as cashier

Beauty TM here who has been shifted over to cleaning shifts and cart wipe since COVID.

I was never asked whether or not I wanted to clean. I was never informed that this is how things are changing it might be for good from now on. I literally walked in to find myself taken off beauty team without a single notice.

But with everything going on, I understand. The store needs someone to keep everything sanitized, so I’ve been flexible.

So our store has had one person wiping down carts and another person walking around doing the store cleaning at any given time.

My issue is, as the store cleaner ....we’re more likely to be used as a cashier. It’s happened several times where I’m scheduled to clean and I’ll walk in and one TL goes “Just hop on a register for your whole shift today.”

I’ll look at the schedule and see that not enough cashiers were even scheduled to begin with.

It’s very aggravating because I can’t stand to cashier for a whole shift.

I don’t mind doing backup for a few minutes.
I don’t mind cleaning.
But cashiering for a whole shift stresses me t eff out and I do not want to do it.

But in my opinion, we’re supposed to have a cleaning person for a reason, and a good reason at that...since we’ve actually had team members with COVID in the store within the last 2 weeks ....but they’d rather borrow me as their supplemental cashier instead of what I’m supposed to be doing, and I told them today I’m simply not interested in that and that if this continues, they can look for someone else to be put on cleaning.

So my leader told me “blah blah it just depends on what we need that day but we can limit your cleaning hours, but I don’t know what your overall hours will look like after that because there’s not many hours to give you elsewhere”

I told her I understand.

Is this happening in any other stores?

Last edited:
This happened to me 3 times this past week. It’s frustrating for me and the guests when I have to constantly call someone over to answer a question. I wasn’t scheduled to be a cashier so I shouldn’t be forced to do it. Thank goodness I’m back in GM finally I defiantly won’t miss anything about front end

you should not be doing anything other than cleaning for your shift and if they are taking you off that you should say something about it and if they do not do anything about it you should probably escalate

Thank you! Is there somewhere that says this so I can show it to them for next time?

Beauty TM here who has been shifted over to cleaning shifts and cart wipe since COVID.

I was never asked whether or not I wanted to clean. I was never informed that this is how things are changing it might be for good from now on. I literally walked in to find myself taken off beauty team without a single notice.

But with everything going on, I understand. The store needs someone to keep everything sanitized, so I’ve been flexible.

So our store has had one person wiping down carts and another person walking around doing the store cleaning at any given time.

My issue is, as the store cleaner ....we’re more likely to be used as a cashier. It’s happened several times where I’m scheduled to clean and I’ll walk in and one TL goes “Just hop on a register for your whole shift today.”

I’ll look at the schedule and see that not enough cashiers were even scheduled to begin with.

It’s very aggravating because I can’t stand to cashier for a whole shift.

I don’t mind doing backup for a few minutes.
I don’t mind cleaning.
But cashiering for a whole shift stresses me t eff out and I do not want to do it.

But in my opinion, we’re supposed to have a cleaning person for a reason, and a good reason at that...since we’ve actually had team members with COVID in the store within the last 2 weeks ....but they’d rather borrow me as their supplemental cashier instead of what I’m supposed to be doing, and I told them today I’m simply not interested in that and that if this continues, they can look for someone else to be put on cleaning.

So my leader told me “blah blah it just depends on what we need that day but we can limit your cleaning hours, but I don’t know what your overall hours will look like after that because there’s not many hours to give you elsewhere”

I told her I understand.

Is this happening in any other stores?
This happens in my store as well. They will usually keep the person cleaning carts in the front of the store because they are more visible but the person who’s supposed to be cleaning around the store, in the break room, and in the back room, gets pulled in to cashier. I’ve complained so much they are pretty much sick of hearing from me. It’s very frustrating.
I thought each store was given extra payroll for a designated cleaner. At my store, it’s the issue of not scheduling enough cashiers (sorry, guest advocates) and not because of call outs. I wonder where the extra payroll is actually going. Probably OPU.

Thank you! Is there somewhere that says this so I can show it to them for next time?
It wouldn’t matter. Your store is going to do what they want and that’s that. So you’re scheduled cleaning and sometimes get thrown on register. You play ball and do what you have to do to get hours. Unfortunately that’s just the way it is. Team members can be moved around when needed. Now would you take a tech person and put them in beauty- no. But everyone is supposed to be able to cashier and if that’s where they need you that day then that’s what you do

We tried to have the cleaner be on register. We also tried to have the cart cleaner on register. It turns out that district level people do not approve of this. Heads were rolling down the TSC hallway and possibly even the racetrack. It is usually a cart attendant who has to do the cleaning. Sometimes it is a cashier. We also have to sacrifice a cashier for cart cleaning and someone has to stand by the bloody carts from open till close.

It wouldn’t matter. Your store is going to do what they want and that’s that. So you’re scheduled cleaning and sometimes get thrown on register. You play ball and do what you have to do to get hours. Unfortunately that’s just the way it is. Team members can be moved around when needed. Now would you take a tech person and put them in beauty- no. But everyone is supposed to be able to cashier and if that’s where they need you that day then that’s what you do
I normally agree with this. The cleaner role was specifically created in response to COVID-19, though. Others may disagree about the effectiveness of cleaning but, I know when I go into other stores and see them cleaning common touch spaces, I appreciate the effort. And while it’s not going to prevent anyone, guest or team member, from getting COVID, I do think it helps, like wearing masks. Not perfect but can help. So to put that person on register for their whole shift defeats the purpose of having the role.

When we were cleaning last night, I told my coworker that this cleaning may or may not make a difference. Really, no one knows. But, at least we are trying to help.

It doesn't matter if it makes a difference or not. You could walk around with a bucket of water and a rag made of noodles wiping it everywhere and Target wouldn't give a shit. It's not about cleaning, it's about perception.

Edit:

In fairness, I'm not saying that cleaning makes no difference. I think if the right people are doing the right things then yes it could.

I'm just saying from corporate's point of view, they don't care.

Last edited:
We had callouts one night and pulled the cleaner to cover someone’s last 15, but it was just 15 minutes, nothing more. I don’t see the harm in that, but pulling for extended periods of time should be a no.

I pushed cosmetics a few times with a couple of really big dudes, that was a sight. Fortunately one of our original co-workers was with us and she knew the product and helped us out. Tedious but we had some fun. Tongue-in-cheek she recommended a particular shade of lipstick to one of the big bucks (the guy was about 6-4 and easily 260) in the middle of a busy aisle. Had a good laugh.

I don't understand why some stores consider Style, Beauty and Tech TMs to be interchangeable. Just because they often have a Specialty TL/ETL overseeing them doesn't mean they are all one team. They are SPECIALTY areas which means (in theory, at least) that they are specially trained in their area.

I could no more easily cover Tech or Beauty than I could Market or Guest Services.

(That's not true though, since I've been in retail since the Dark Ages and have a brain and learn quickly, so I'd be fine, but you know what I mean, lol)

Tbh until district level geta wind of that its gonna happen. My store tried that. Worked for a few weeks. Then fire and brimstone reigned down from above. Now they try to sneak in the cleaners doing opus oe giving brraks to a cashier but ita alot rarer

Same. We don’t mess w the cleaner now. If the cleaner goes on a break, someone must take over for them. This leads me to believe Corp is watching bc our leaders are so paranoid about it.

I don't understand why some stores consider Style, Beauty and Tech TMs to be interchangeable. Just because they often have a Specialty TL/ETL overseeing them doesn't mean they are all one team. They are SPECIALTY areas which means (in theory, at least) that they are specially trained in their area.

I could no more easily cover Tech or Beauty than I could Market or Guest Services.

(That's not true though, since I've been in retail since the Dark Ages and have a brain and learn quickly, so I'd be fine, but you know what I mean, lol)

It's corporate direction. Specialty sales are supposed to cover for each other. GM isn't supposed to have anything to do with it. They cover for fulfillment and inbounds as needed instead. Those are the rules. Of course, we break them from time to time when needed, but if one of our DBOs is asked to cover for tech, I guarantee the GMTLs are going to be getting on the walkie and demanding style gets their asses back their instead. It's a "Not our damn job!" thing.

As for the OP, whenever I see our cleaner doing anything else, I go to our bitchiest TLs (who absolutely hate our worthless SETLs) and put a little bee in their bonnet about it. The ensuing fireworks typically stop the nonsense for a few days at least.

Protest too much & they'll cut your hours.
Basically they're using the cleaning budget to make up for their scheduling shortfalls.
An anonymous call to the HRBP could bring that to a screeching halt but, because you mentioned it, you will likely be suspected of ratting them out & they will retaliate.
Tread carefully.

It's corporate direction. Specialty sales are supposed to cover for each other. GM isn't supposed to have anything to do with it. They cover for fulfillment and inbounds as needed instead. Those are the rules. Of course, we break them from time to time when needed, but if one of our DBOs is asked to cover for tech, I guarantee the GMTLs are going to be getting on the walkie and demanding style gets their asses back their instead. It's a "Not our damn job!" thing.
That's wild. Absolutely not how things are done in my store. GM covers for Tech, Style and Beauty have nothing to do with Tech or each other.

That's wild. Absolutely not how things are done in my store. GM covers for Tech, Style and Beauty have nothing to do with Tech or each other.

It's in the modernization guidelines. Can't believe your GM leads let that one slip past. Those are wasted payroll hours they aren't going to get back. My ETL would freak unless it was an emergency. (Even then, there would be some bitching about it.)

Protest too much & they'll cut your hours.
Basically they're using the cleaning budget to make up for their scheduling shortfalls.
An anonymous call to the HRBP could bring that to a screeching halt but, because you mentioned it, you will likely be suspected of ratting them out & they will retaliate.
Tread carefully.

They’re welcome to cut my hours. I’ve got plenty of vacation hours to supplement for a couple months until I find something else.

Back