Store closing at 10 but TMs working until 11

Today my TL said we are now scheduling TMs to work past closing for another hour.

No one in my store was told this until and actually some TMs were told they are scheduled until 11 starting 10/8.

Supposedly they are asking for "volunteers" to do this but what if no one volunteers?

We have a lot of minors can't work past 9:30 now.

Half our the TMs that starting after Noon called off last weekend so I am sure this will not help.

Last edited:
Today my TL said we are now scheduling TMs to work past closing for another hour.

No one in my store was told this until and actually some TMs were told they are scheduled until 11 starting 10/8.

Supposedly they are asking for "volunteers" to do this but what if no one volunteers?

We have a lot of minors can't work past 9:30 now.

Half our the TMs that starting after Noon called off last weekend so I am sure this will not help.
If nobody volunteers somebody’s about to get
2CDE6CAF-EF1E-4F3B-BAA6-E754A512055D.jpeg
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Well if someone's availability is past 10 then why not. We do it at my store and it helps get a lot of the little things done so it's not left in the morning.
A valid point but no one thought this was going happen to until November.

Not counting the Holiday season our store hasn't scheduled most TMs after 10:00 PM for three and a half years.

Not counting the Holiday season our store hasn't scheduled most TMs after 10:00 PM for three and a half years.
I mean yeah I get that. Probably should of been communicated better. I just don't see it as a problem.

Holiday deals (Circle Week, Deals of the Day) will start on Sunday and many will continue to drop in until Christmas so it makes sense to start scheduling later now. Q4 sales have creeped up in an attempt to capture the sales we don't get by being closed on Thanksgiving now.

Fully agree, it was not communicated very well at your store. If leadership explained the 'why' of these new scheduling needs, more people *might* be willing to get on board.

My biggest question is how low volume are you that you can have the store cleaned up by close and not have to stay past closing for zone/reshop/SFS
Easy because the zone and reshop is usually not done by store close because they don't schedule TMs NOW to do it.

SFS seems to stay past closing regularly though.

I pull AND push until the end of my shift.

I don't leave three-tiers because the last three times I did this and told the Closing TL they were still sitting there when I came in the next day.

Last edited:
At my store if you are scheduled till 10 you are a closer and can’t leave till closing lead says so. Sometimes as early as 10:10 and sometimes as late as 10:45. Only exception those who would hit compliance from not having lunch. Staying later is normal this time of year. They don’t have to tell you ahead as long they are not scheduling outside of your availability.

My store needs this... go backs are go nots .... The store is a mess and the go back area is a mess,,, I hate that I'm off at 10p but they allow people thru the door at 955p so I'm stuck ... I've told them to start me 15 min. later so I can stay there till 15min past 10p. (they don't) I would sign up for this. Working till 11p getting the go backs actually back.

At my store if you are scheduled till 10 you are a closer and can’t leave till closing lead says so. Sometimes as early as 10:10 and sometimes as late as 10:45. Only exception those who would hit compliance from not having lunch. Staying later is normal this time of year. They don’t have to tell you ahead as long they are not scheduling outside of your availability.
How does your store get away having their TMs stay past their SCHEDULED TIME?

I am technically a closer but leave within 10 minutes of the scheduled end of shift.

Yeah I don't know if that happens here but I do know during the day lately they are strict about everyone leaving on time because they're so far over allocated hours. It was absolutely normal in the past when I worked closing

How does your store get away having their TMs stay past their SCHEDULED TIME?

I am technically a closer but leave within 10 minutes of the scheduled end of shift.
Been that way since I started 12 years ago. If your schedule says 10 p.m. you are a closer and expected to stay till closing leader says you can go. I honestly assumed all stores were this way.

They can't make you stay past your scheduled time, against availability or otherwise. I'm allowed to make plans to go out to dinner at 10:15 if I am only scheduled till 10:00. Target can ask you to stay past your scheduled time, they cannot require you to do so.

Yeah our closing team minus the CL and closing GSTM are out the door by 10. No one ever stays past closing unless its a cashier bc a guest is still in the store.
We do have people often stay late for fulfillment, but they are very much volunteering to do so, not being told they must do so. I left on Sunday at 11:00, I was scheduled till 10:00, but I stayed as a favor to my S&E TL who was closing, because she was worried she'd get in trouble if fulfillment wasn't completed for the night.

They can't make you stay past your scheduled time, against availability or otherwise. I'm allowed to make plans to go out to dinner at 10:15 if I am only scheduled till 10:00. Target can ask you to stay past your scheduled time, they cannot require you to do so.
Your correct they can’t require you to stay but, if you say you won’t stay suddenly you will start getting scheduled till 10:30 or 11:00.

My biggest question is how low volume are you that you can have the store cleaned up by close and not have to stay past closing for zone/reshop/SFS
Doesn't matter if the store is low volume if TMs call off. We had a good stretch where the reshop, both on the floor and behind Guest Service, was minimal and late pulls were pushed. Now we're back to mornings where the reshop bins are filled to overflowing and three-tier carts are staged in the back. Like I don't have enough to do with pushing my truck because even when budgets are tight, people still need Essentials.

In my department they consistently pull carts for me to push to get the priority pulls down.

However since no one is doing pulls until I am finished with those we aren't gaining much with the fill percentages.

My TL told me a couple of weeks ago that our department pull percentage was 84% and that was the highest in the store.

Yeah I guess?

Last edited:
In several decades in this industry I've never heard of a store that the employees leave when the store closes...
You mean any employees closing on a given night, or all of them? Surely there must be some TMs in your store who leave right after closing?

My store closes at 10 - tonight I punched out at 10:04. Usually I stay a bit later but it was pretty slow.

If they ask you to stay and you have no important appointments or commitments afterwards, stay. Easy money. They will remember. Make it easy on yourself, it does pay off.

Back