Store closure... do they call you?

So like the rest of Texas, it is a white apocalypse out there.

Last night a team member calls me. They’re making a list of who is/isn’t coming to work.
I say yes for several reasons.
I work Cash office (it’s hard to cover, only 3 of us in the store know how to do it)

I live 3 miles away and can take side streets and stay off the elevated highways.

I don’t have young kids at home needing childcare

I figure I’ll do my part to help keep the store functioning. It was the same after Hurricane Harvey when only 4 of us were in the store.

I get to work today. Literally the sole person making tracks in the road. It’s only 3 miles. And dammit to hell, the store is closed. Not a single car in the parking lot.

I did consider calling, but even on the regular day they suck and answering the phone. So no answer could still mean the store is open.

So they can bother calling me last night asking if I’m still coming in, but they can’t call this morning once they decided to keep the store closed?

do you suppose I can get a punch correction for this? I’m super pissed right now.

I'd allow you to do a punch correction. Possibly the person responsible for coming in to open was unable too and no one else was able to make it in fast enough or was on the way...

Do you have your number in the emergency system? You should have gotten a text.

We don't close for snow, but when there were store closures during protests we got texts about it.

Sue them for one million dollars. When they're back in call the STL or HRETL and just ask. Keep it light, it ain't the end of the world. Have a hot Ovaltine and a slice of Hickory Farms Summer Sausage, it will make you feel very excellent.

What time were you scheduled? Like was it during store hours or before? Because I’m wondering if like another poster said maybe the opener couldn’t make it there.
for a store to close usually you would get an alert or a text letting you know not to come in.

years ago we had an ETL slept in and forgot to come let us in and we sat in the parking lot for well over an hour. After that I’ve always made sure to have at least one leaders phone number to be able to contact in case of an emergency and I couldn’t get a hold of anybody at the store

Take a video of you outside of Target with a time stamp. Upload a selfie to social media with a time stamp.

Anything to prove you were there and not able to enter the store for your shift.

I would put in a punch correction for the entire shift you were scheduled. It is Target's responsibility to alert you if they are changing your schedule. Target failed to alert you so they are responsible for paying you. If not, they can't ever complain about a no-call no-show. Because that is what they did to you - Target no-called, no-showed for your shift.

I've had opening keyholders show up very, very late, and we do punch corrections for the time spent waiting on the premises. Make sure the security cameras see you.

I've had opening keyholders show up very, very late, and we do punch corrections for the time spent waiting on the premises. Make sure the security cameras see you.
This. We had a keyholder screw up and left the truck team waiting in the parking lot over two hours. When the opening ETL showed up she had forgotten her keys so she had to drive back almost another hour to get them. What a cluster fuck. They tried some bullshit that we would be paid when we walked in the door until about 15 of us threatened to call the hotline and some of us did. People sat in the parking lot three plus hours at that point. Paid from the start of our shifts. The DTL didn't like getting that phone call I guess cause she was in the store by mid morning on a weekend.. AP told me they did check film, from that day I have always driven past the front of the store and always look up toward the camera when I come in.

There should be am emergency number you are supposed to call. They should have told the tms about it. The phone should also be set to announce the stores closing. If the store was actually closed then there is probably nothing they will do. If the opener was supposed to be there and wasnt then you will get paid

They are supposed to call you.
There was a serious ice storm in NJ, like knockdown powerlines bad.
They decided to hold off opening for three hours and somehow I wasn't on anybody's list to call.
I rode my bike on glare ice to work at 4:00 AM because Alaskan, then sat there waiting for people to show up.
There was no way in hell I was riding home only to have to ride back.
Alaskan, not stupid.
They paid me for it.

When we had the protests, my TL texted my number to let me know I didnt have to come to work and will be paid for it. And within that week I was also getting a text to call the number if we have to report to work.

Keep in mind that Target is from Minnesota so not highly likely to consider your situation to be particularly out of the norm.

I joked that I was going to call off because of the snow but I could walk to work (literally three doors down.)

Back