Store Director

My store Director hardly ever acknowledges team members. He barely speaks to anyone and if you approach him, he's too busy to engage. Is this normal?

My store Director hardly ever acknowledges team members. He barely speaks to anyone and if you approach him, he's too busy to engage. Is this normal?

Sounds like my previous SD that just sits in her office most days. If she wants something done from a certain TM she'll ask the ETL instead of asking the TM directly. Lucky for her, she had a great team of ETL, TL, and TMs. One of those ETL actually became an SD and really ran the store more than SD had.

I, fortunately, have never dealt with a store manager at Target that turns their head away from their team and refuses to interact with them because it's "beneath their pay grade," or whatever reason. It's not normal, and strong leaders do not do that, ever. It doesn't even matter what company you work for.

SDs have a lot of responsibilities that dont deal with day to day operations. Pretty much nothing they do really does unless they are covering a day off or something. They should however be approachable and reach out to tms and get to know them. Ive had a couple that didnt and they didnt last too long.

SDs have a lot of responsibilities that dont deal with day to day operations. Pretty much nothing they do really does unless they are covering a day off or something. They should however be approachable and reach out to tms and get to know them. Ive had a couple that didnt and they didnt last too long.
I understand they don't have responsibilities that pertain to normal day-to-day operations. I'm one of those people that doesn't interact with leadership unless I need something from them and they need something from me, but I do agree that they should be approachable.

My SD engages with everyone. I'd say she uses GUEST with everyone, but I am not sure I've ever heard her thank a TM

Our SD is frequently like this. Some of our ETLs are like that, even with leads. It's weird when they are friendly all of a sudden, so you know you're about to be tasked with something godawful.

Mine also takes the time to talk to every TM they pass. They're greeted by name, asked how they are, and some random question. Like, if it's someone she really knows that has been there awhile she says (for example) "how is your son, Dave?" If it's a new person she asks how they're doing, how it's going, do they have questions or need anything?

IDK how she does it. My mind is swirling just as a TM and IDK most of the people on the floor these days lol

Yes but he just left To another store. Every single time I passed him I would say ”Well Goodmorning there Mr. ….”. Just for giggles. It made my day. No he never answered. If he did look my way his eyebrows would be all scrunched up. I don’t know why but It just made me laugh inside.

My SD engages with everyone, acknowledges good workers and is generally supportive. If I had any complaint it would be that they spend a lot of time in their office but that’s par for the course. They do jump in and help when it gets bad. We’re going on our fourth SD in five years. I hope they last here but I’m not holding my breath.

Our original STL was cool, good guy, knew everyone, jumped right in on every job and task (Target word "task"), very friendly. Missed working for and with him.
Our original was like that, too. Just a nice, friendly guy who talked to everyone and helped out when needed. He knew the business inside out and ran the store with both smarts and compassion. Also had the best barbecues ever. Store sure went to Hell after he left…

Yes, it’s his job to keep his bosses out of his building. He will work mostly with his direct supervisor (the district leader) and his direct reports (ETLs).

Yes, it’s his job to keep his bosses out of his building. He will work mostly with his direct supervisor (the district leader) and his direct reports (ETLs).
What does it mean if his bosses are at our store a lot? With our new SD (6 months) corporate is always there. We get them At least once a week and it’s a group. They even work.

If SD is that new, it could be support--If SD walked into a real shitshow, the higher ups may be there to help. Could be they are investing extra time in the SD to try to keep them--leaders are leaving just like team members

Usually, it means get ready for a new SD.

What does it mean if his bosses are at our store a lot? With our new SD (6 months) corporate is always there. We get them At least once a week and it’s a group. They even work.
That the store needs support. Either the SD is struggling, or the store is facing issues from before the SD that the visitors are attempting to correct with the SD.

Normal gor most leadd at my store. We are the gum under their desk holding it together because the school wont buy a new one. Nothing more nothing less

If she wants something done from a certain TM she'll ask the ETL instead of asking the TM directly.
This is actually the way it should be. There is a hierarchy that needs to be followed. Too many times I’ve had the opposite happen where the ETL or SD give direction. Not communicated to the lead. Check on said team member to find they are doing something different then what I asked. I get frustrated because no one told me they wanted something different. Team member then gets frustrated because too many leads asking them to do different things.
When my current SD wants something done she goes to her ETL’s. They in turn go to the leads. At that point it’s easier for me to communicate if there is going to be an issue doing what the SD wants as well as I am in the loop and when I go to the team member then the info/requests are just coming from their direct lead.

Too many times I’ve had the opposite happen where the ETL or SD give direction. Not communicated to the lead. Check on said team member to find they are doing something different then what I asked. I get frustrated because no one told me they wanted something different. Team member then gets frustrated because too many leads asking them to do different things.
Our ETL did this. Every. Dang. Day. She pulled TMs and sent them to do every which thing and never bothered to inform the TLs until things started to blow up because the TMs original assignments were either late or not completed at all. And guess who got the blame for the whole mess? Not her, that’s for sure…🙄

Our ETL did this. Every. Dang. Day. She pulled TMs and sent them to do every which thing and never bothered to inform the TLs until things started to blow up because the TMs original assignments were either late or not completed at all. And guess who got the blame for the whole mess? Not her, that’s for sure…🙄
I trained my TMs to call me when this happened. It helps a lot, because then I can move people around or ask someone else to do whatever nonsense the SD wanted.

Back