Archived Straight told off an annoying guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guest calls in. I pick up on first ring, hasn't hit fitting room.

Her: "I just wanted to let you know I've been waiting for eight minutes! I don't think there's anyone in bikes in case you want to fix that!"

Me: "Ma'am, there is one guy covering toys, bikes, seasonal, music, books and video games. He is assisting a guest who has reasonable questions that relate to his job duties. As soon as he's free I will hand him the phone."

Her:" But I've been waiting for eight minutes just to get you! Can't you help me!"

Me: "I really can't. I know nothing about girls bikes. The person who can help is helping a guest and I will give him the phone as soon as possible. Please hold the line." *hit mute*

Very busy electronics guy: "Dana can take that call."

Me: "No. She's waiting."

Everyone, including guests: *laughter*

So...what was her question? You didn't even ask? Why couldn't Dana have taken the call?

I was expecting a really rude guest, she wasn't even that bad.

Seriously, it's possible you could have answered the question with a little research.
Maybe it was as simple as what bike was on sale and you could have looked it up from where you were.
I often tried to help people when I didn't know right off and if I couldn't, then I would get someone who could.
If someone has been waiting that long maybe it's time to see if there is an ETL who can take the call.
They are supposed to be willing to jump on to keep the guests happy.

I'm mobile. We don't have my device access. Even without it I can handle most calls for anything outside of bikes or books, so I pick up the phone when the only person in E and F is with a guest.

Also, there's no way she waited that long. She couldn't have been on for longer than 3 minutes.

Felt like I was standing up for the only redshirt in E&F. Guess it reads differently.

I wish our "guests" would get it through their pin heads that we aren't a full service store. I've had people ask me ... Who do I talk to about altering clothes? Do you have someone that can come to my house and put this bookcase together? What kind of flour do I buy to make muffins? What are the different types of brakes on bikes?

Yeah, don't know. Don't care. I've got an ETL who looks 13 who cares more about me getting something called a TWT 100% then about you.

I guess I sound bitter today. But when I needed a new vacuum, I did my own research. I didn't waddle my fat ass into Walmart and ask someone stocking dog food which one to buy.

Are people really so helpless?

I covered bts, movies, sporting goods, electronics & toys today by myself. At least, my operator will ask a few more questions first. Because she can my whole area down from the fitting room.

I wish our "guests" would get it through their pin heads that we aren't a full service store. I've had people ask me ... Who do I talk to about altering clothes? Do you have someone that can come to my house and put this bookcase together? What kind of flour do I buy to make muffins? What are the different types of brakes on bikes?

Yeah, don't know. Don't care. I've got an ETL who looks 13 who cares more about me getting something called a TWT 100% then about you.

I guess I sound bitter today. But when I needed a new vacuum, I did my own research. I didn't waddle my fat ass into Walmart and ask someone stocking dog food which one to buy.

Are people really so helpless?

So much this. The funny thing is when they ask for someone who "works in the department". Im like...uhhhh...we...dont really have anyone who works in JUST "this department" apart from Market and Electronics. Nobody is really an expert on anything because Target doesnt care.

I guess target is still fooling people into thinking each little area has some sort of expert on it or something..

So much this. The funny thing is when they ask for someone who "works in the department". Im like...uhhhh...we...dont really have anyone who works in JUST "this department" apart from Market and Electronics. Nobody is really an expert on anything because Target doesnt care.

I guess target is still fooling people into thinking each little area has some sort of expert on it or something..

I laughed in my dad's face when he asked me once ... Where do they send people out to train? He meant about automotive stuff. I said ... What century are you living in? There is no training about product.

I usually just pull out my phone when I attempt to answer technical questions. Or refer a couple of sites to use for reviews of products.

I'd argue you that 1) you're a idiot and have no business in retail, 2) that unless the guest called via her own phone and dialed the electronics extension she could've already gone through the fitting room, who have the option of sending it to the electronics phone or 2280.

Anyways, 3 minutes is a long time, if I was that guest I would've left. Your customer service is poor.
It is everyone in that stores responsibility to help and if you can't get a hold of a tm, call the LOD. If you can't manage to do any of this then don't pick up the phone. This isn't funny, just sad on your part.

*eye roll*

I'd argue you that 1) you're a idiot and have no business in retail, 2) that unless the guest called via her own phone and dialed the electronics extension she could've already gone through the fitting room, who have the option of sending it to the electronics phone or 2280.

Anyways, 3 minutes is a long time, if I was that guest I would've left. Your customer service is poor.
It is everyone in that stores responsibility to help and if you can't get a hold of a tm, call the LOD. If you can't manage to do any of this then don't pick up the phone. This isn't funny, just sad on your part.

*eye roll*

Agreed....I think. I still don't fully understand the situation, but based on what I understand, I don't blame the guest despite the sassiness on her part. I'm all for jumping on the typical bandwagon that is complaining about work, but some people just complain too much. Complaints are only valid if you're doing everything in your power to do your job well, and shit STILL goes to hell. But when people complain about the most basic tasks of their job, it's ridiculous. Planning on starting a thread about this actually.

*eye roll*

Just a fellow up question, leave and go where? Most retail store are hitting the lowest common denominator. Low prices = no customer service. I mean, if people want questions answered about bikes, they are more than welcome to pay extra at a bike store with knowledgeable sales people and higher prices. You can't have it both ways.

Just a fellow up question, leave and go where? Most retail store are hitting the lowest common denominator. Low prices = no customer service. I mean, if people want questions answered about bikes, they are more than welcome to pay extra at a bike store with knowledgeable sales people and higher prices. You can't have it both ways.

My pay rate is completely unrelated to my desire to be helpful. Even if I'm completely unknowledgeable about bikes, you can still guest service the crap out of that. Try to help anyway, because the question could be super easy. Besides, it's way more friendly to at least TRY and show that you care, rather than to say, "That's not my job, you gotta wait for the other guy."

Kmart
Walmart
Amazon
Toys r us

I had an issue with customer service at Walmart for a 300 toy car, left went to toys r us, spent 500. (Obviously it had a radio and was way better, but if I wanted the car at Walmart I could've price matched). With price matching these days, price isn't always a factor, it's attitude.

I'm mobile. We don't have my device access. Even without it I can handle most calls for anything outside of bikes or books, so I pick up the phone when the only person in E and F is with a guest.

Also, there's no way she waited that long. She couldn't have been on for longer than 3 minutes.

Felt like I was standing up for the only redshirt in E&F. Guess it reads differently.
But you normally have an active smartphone to show guests, do you not? The idiot at my closest store does....and the Target app is often more useful than the myDevice search. Or Google.

I can't name the number of times I end up with my phone (Android), the myDevice (apple) and sometimes a pda (microsoft) just to help a guest with one question. On a good day I'm able to find the item and send them home happy even...

Kmart
Walmart
Amazon
Toys r us

I had an issue with customer service at Walmart for a 300 toy car, left went to toys r us, spent 500. (Obviously it had a radio and was way better, but if I wanted the car at Walmart I could've price matched). With price matching these days, price isn't always a factor, it's attitude.

My point was more about customer service and knowledge more than price. But I get what you mean. I still assert that people at the other retailers you mentioned know about as much as people at Target. And most niche stores, bikes being my example, don't price match.

"Do you work in this department?"

"No, but I'll still try. What's the question?"

(Try to help)

" Thank you so much for trying."
" It's no problem. Thank you for shopping here, that's how I feed my cats."

Now that being said, people should not expect the people at big box retailers to be very knowledgeable about everything in the store. If we were we'd have all won Jeopardy and retired by now.

We're not wrong...we're just....well like you said...
QtgJIuP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back