Archived Stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been reading this website for awhile now but yet have to post. I just need a little advice or support. So here's my dilemma:
After hearing about all the AE changes not sure I will be developing and moving up like I would hope to. I'm graduating this summer from college with a business management degree and I do really enjoy working for Target. I'm very good at what I do and I work hard to be very successful and I'm very meticulous when I do my job. I'm pretty much cross trained in every area so I can help out in as many areas as I can.

My dilemma here is that I was developing to become a TL , and my goal is to one day be an ETL but hearing all about the reductions I see my dream dwindling.

My store is so laughable I always say that I probably would turn down an ETL position since every ETL in the store except 1 complains about the job and looks miserable everyday. I say I would turn it down, but I'm not 100% that is accurate if it just falls into my hand.

If you love retail, maybe try a different company. I say that because Target tends to hire ETLs externally. I would be stressed though as ETL and TL positions are decreasing come September.

My store is so laughable I always say that I probably would turn down an ETL position since every ETL in the store except 1 complains about the job and looks miserable everyday. I say I would turn it down, but I'm not 100% that is accurate if it just falls into my hand.
Yeah the idea of going to college for four years and then working nights and weekends sounds miserable to me.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Or it you really like working at Target and you still want to be an ETL try applying for the intern program.
It would give you another way in since the internal promotions are kind blocked up for the moment.

Or it you really like working at Target and you still want to be an ETL try applying for the intern program.
It would give you another way in since the internal promotions are kind blocked up for the moment.

I've talked to my HR about it and she's dragging her feet on it. I've emailed her numerous times with no responses and tried to call her, she won't call me back. So I'm very frustrated at this point with her.

I've talked to my HR about it and she's dragging her feet on it. I've emailed her numerous times with no responses and tried to call her, she won't call me back. So I'm very frustrated at this point with her.

I would do that on your own.
There is little chance your HR is going to help you out on this.

I was told by an old STL that I have to go through her.

You can see where it's not really in her best interest to anything for you, right?
If you're a good employee, why would she want to lose you?
Sending you to the intern program means just that, it's not like promoting you internally where they can keep you around and use you.
If she had been enthusiastic right off the mark, I would have said you had a good one who cared about her people but it sounds like that's not the case.
You need to take care of yourself.
I think there are ETLs and former ETLs here who can give better advice on this but it sounds like you need to strike out on your own.

If we already have a college degree, is it still possible to do the intern program? I feel like it's my only way to move up at this point.

I was told by an old STL that I have to go through her.

This is called ' passing the buck'
Or dangling the carrot...

So I have been reading this website for awhile now but yet have to post. I just need a little advice or support. So here's my dilemma:
After hearing about all the AE changes not sure I will be developing and moving up like I would hope to. I'm graduating this summer from college with a business management degree and I do really enjoy working for Target. I'm very good at what I do and I work hard to be very successful and I'm very meticulous when I do my job. I'm pretty much cross trained in every area so I can help out in as many areas as I can.

My dilemma here is that I was developing to become a TL , and my goal is to one day be an ETL but hearing all about the reductions I see my dream dwindling.
I hear ya, I was developing for TL at my store and then when AE 2014 rolled out I was called into the office by my STL and told that our bench has 2 tm's and we have to lose 4 current TL positions so no interview for me but got a pat on the back, so I can definitely relate to your situation and I am wondering too if there is a future anymore at Target, I am considering a 4 year BA Business degree but I told my ETL I only wanted to consider that if there was a future at Target, I hope nothing but the best for you though!!

I hear ya, I was developing for TL at my store and then when AE 2014 rolled out I was called into the office by my STL and told that our bench has 2 tm's and we have to lose 4 current TL positions so no interview for me but got a pat on the back, so I can definitely relate to your situation and I am wondering too if there is a future anymore at Target, I am considering a 4 year BA Business degree but I told my ETL I only wanted to consider that if there was a future at Target, I hope nothing but the best for you though!!

That is my same dilemma. I am a few class away from getting my business management degree, for the sole purpose of becoming an etl. So now I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Your schools most likely have a career services department that specializes in helping connect students to companies and find jobs in their field. I would look into it and see what options your school offers because there's so much more out there than Spot. Don't assume your degree is ETL or bust.

its a scary time to be a leader at target. i can't help but feel like my job is constantly in jeopardy even though i work my ass off, just because i know all the things that are going on with target. and your task like keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger and impossible to finish just because you don't have the team on the sales floor.

its a scary time to be a leader at target. i can't help but feel like my job is constantly in jeopardy even though i work my ass off, just because i know all the things that are going on with target. and your task like keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger and impossible to finish just because you don't have the team on the sales floor.
And don't even get 30 hours (at least at my store) to complete the given workload.

OK, I have to ask. Isn't this their normal way of doing things? I've seen so many good TMs work themselves to death because they are promised TL positions. Work a double? Sure! Eight, ten day in row? Sure! Work close/open three times a week? Sure! It will be so worth it when I'm TL! Then the positions open and the interviews start. Next we have a bitter, disgruntled TM that shows up to work but doesn't. It happens so often that it seems by design.

It happened to me and I wasn't even trying to be a TL. I'm still fast, but definitely not fun and friendly.

Reactions: NOP
"Fast" is all they're getting outta me on a regular basis.
They're lucky if I can muster "Friendly" & they sure as hell don't pay me enough for "Fun".

I would not bother with Target beyond a last option fall back position. If you look at the quality of ETLs, STLs and DTLs over the last 5 or so years, you see a massive decline. Target has gone from wanting the best to wanting the cheapest while at the same time raising the goals beyond what is reasonable. This results big turn over and only those who can not find something better staying. On top of all the other problems the only people sticking around of you fellow leaders are those looking for a way out or those who are not good enough to get something else. That creates a terrible time for everyone.

Also 50 hours per week minimum.

Where do the etl's work 50 hours minimum?
Seriously?
Those at my store call in, are late, or 'work from home' so much they can't be putting in 40.
I know for sure one does it, 6-4, sometimes 4-4. Sounds like our ETLs have pretty good attendance. Usually the one that is scheduled 6-4 is still there at 4, whereas the ones scheduled 7-5 aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back