Archived Stupid things people have been fired for at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it was probably not a termination until he started tjrowing things.

Good point, but when you’re at the end of your rope and don’t see a future at Target, what else is there to stay for?

That doesn’t excuse his throwing things, which is totally unprofessional.

We had a SFS seasonal who had no people skills at all, and he threw a walkie to another tm at her face when she asked for one. Her husband who did Flow, confronted him, and to say the least we lost two people in one day lol

The difference between throwing something to someone vs. at someone.

I'm sure TMs get arrested all the time by local PD, but has anyone ever seen a TM get picked up by the Feds (FBI, ICE, DEA, etc.)?

1) Electronics Lock-Up Heist. Backroom team member took a pair of heavy-duty clippers from the fixture room and cut through the cage/wiring wall of the electronics lockup from the adjoining aisle. He would go down that backroom aisle and pretend to backstock while he was actually reaching through two different holes he had cut into the electronics lockup and would then pull Apple and Nintendo products out of the lockup and pocket them. It took a long time for AP to identify the source of missing merchandise; Flex orders for iPads and such kept finding missing items, but it wasn't until the AP team zoomed in on the wacos in the lockup that they noticed them jiggling with no one nearby, and made the leap to look at the footage from the aisle next door. After that they watched the TM until he reached felony level theft, then called the cops and he was found with stolen merch in his pockets and in his car. All along I'd seen him stealing soda from the cafe, I thought that's what would get him fired.

2) Heard a good story from a former ETL-LOG about a receiver who stole massive amounts of merch over a long time by boxing that stuff up and mailing it to a PO box he/she owned, then going to collect the goodies. I was backroom TM at the time, later became a receiving TM. I shipped out tons and tons of stuff from my store as the receiver, totally unsupervised, so I can see how this could work.

3) A backroom TM made it a habit to go down an aisle with a tub, throw some backstock pillows and blankets down in it, and sleep in the tub. From co-workers, I get the gist he was coming from the club to a 4am backroom shift on a regular basis. He was eventually fired.

4) Fired for taking a poo. Yes, it happened. I was on remodel team, and we hired a bunch of newbs to round out the remodel team; most of us worked overnight. One guy showed up for his shift and had to go #2, so he asked his friend to punch him in and gave her his TM number. He was in the back bathroom doing his thing when she punched him in...don't know how this played out, but management somehow tracked this down and of course it's time-card fraud, so he was let go. So was she.

5) Running out the back door with a stolen 32" TV. Our former backroom/backup receiving TM had some mental issues. He was a good guy, but sometimes he did things that made no logical sense; obvious issues in his head. One day in the middle of a shift he grabbed a 32" television from the backroom and ran out the back fire door with it. The PMT saw him and said his eyes were "crazed" and he didn't look like himself. He apparently took the TV to his chained-up biked out front, rode home with the TV on his bike...AND THEN CAME BACK TO WORK THE NEXT DAY LIKE NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. So, obvious mental issues. The STL called the cops on him that day when he returned to work. He was arrested and we never saw him again. A few days later, his bike was still chained up out front...the STL called our PMT to cut the lock on it and move it back to the compactor. Then I was asked to smash it in the compactor. I told the STL, "Hey, ******* has some mental issues, I feel bad about smashing his bike." I was told, "Fuck it, he owes me a TV." Bike was smashed, never saw that TM again.

6) Knocking a TM off a ladder, 15 feet up. A particular ETL was super reckless with everything (seen some crazy power-equipment accidents she caused that fortunately didn't injure anyone). In this case, a TM was atop a ladder - we have the nice new ones that are attached to rails along the light-duty aisles and are super stable, here the ladder was pulled out to the front of the aisle so this TM could reach hanging softlines.. Unfortunately, this ETL came along with a cart and knocked the ladder hard enough to dislodge the TM and sent this TM crashing 15 feet to the ground. TM had to undergo surgery and was 6+ months off the job on disability. The ETL has been on "LOA" since the incident, her return status is still unknown to the rest of us lower-downs.

7) Drinking Cognac while pushing truck. We had a phase where we were so short on backroom TMs that we were hiring straight to backroom. One guy with no retail experience got hired in, did so miserable that he was rejected from backroom and sent to flow. A few days later I was told that he had come in with a pint of cognac and had proceeded to push his entire shift with it. He would go down the aisle, set the pint on a shelf, push the aisle, swig a few gulps, them move to the next aisle. Never made any effort to conceal the bottle of liquor. Wonder where he works now.

5) Running out the back door with a stolen 32" TV. Our former backroom/backup receiving TM had some mental issues. He was a good guy, but sometimes he did things that made no logical sense; obvious issues in his head. One day in the middle of a shift he grabbed a 32" television from the backroom and ran out the back fire door with it. The PMT saw him and said his eyes were "crazed" and he didn't look like himself. He apparently took the TV to his chained-up biked out front, rode home with the TV on his bike...AND THEN CAME BACK TO WORK THE NEXT DAY LIKE NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. So, obvious mental issues. The STL called the cops on him that day when he returned to work. He was arrested and we never saw him again. A few days later, his bike was still chained up out front...the STL called our PMT to cut the lock on it and move it back to the compactor. Then I was asked to smash it in the compactor. I told the STL, "Hey, ******* has some mental issues, I feel bad about smashing his bike." I was told, "Fuck it, he owes me a TV." Bike was smashed, never saw that TM again.

Oh thats..thats just great. So you have him for theft of an item under $200, and now he has target down for destruction of property. There is a reason why even a single dollar bill needs to be turned into customer service. Found money is still not your money in the eyes of the law.

Oh thats..thats just great. So you have him for theft of an item under $200, and now he has target down for destruction of property. There is a reason why even a single dollar bill needs to be turned into customer service. Found money is still not your money in the eyes of the law.

I found $5 walking my dog. How many "it is mine" would I have gotten if I made a post on my neighborhoods Facebook or Nextdoor?

6) Knocking a TM off a ladder, 15 feet up. A particular ETL was super reckless with everything (seen some crazy power-equipment accidents she caused that fortunately didn't injure anyone). In this case, a TM was atop a ladder - we have the nice new ones that are attached to rails along the light-duty aisles and are super stable, here the ladder was pulled out to the front of the aisle so this TM could reach hanging softlines.. Unfortunately, this ETL came along with a cart and knocked the ladder hard enough to dislodge the TM and sent this TM crashing 15 feet to the ground. TM had to undergo surgery and was 6+ months off the job on disability. The ETL has been on "LOA" since the incident, her return status is still unknown to the rest of us lower-downs.
Great, now I'm going to worry about that every time I'm getting hanging softlines down for SFS.

1) Electronics Lock-Up Heist. Backroom team member took a pair of heavy-duty clippers from the fixture room and cut through the cage/wiring wall of the electronics lockup from the adjoining aisle. He would go down that backroom aisle and pretend to backstock while he was actually reaching through two different holes he had cut into the electronics lockup and would then pull Apple and Nintendo products out of the lockup and pocket them. It took a long time for AP to identify the source of missing merchandise; Flex orders for iPads and such kept finding missing items, but it wasn't until the AP team zoomed in on the wacos in the lockup that they noticed them jiggling with no one nearby, and made the leap to look at the footage from the aisle next door. After that they watched the TM until he reached felony level theft, then called the cops and he was found with stolen merch in his pockets and in his car. All along I'd seen him stealing soda from the cafe, I thought that's what would get him fired.

Ha. Our lockup has 4 solid walls so no way that's happening at my store. We did have an electronics TM just get fired not too long ago for pocketing stuff in the lockup but it turned out that AP was already on his tail for items that went missing from the boat. The evening before I found empty boxes behind a waco, AP noticed a stack of Apple watches left in the boat with the bottom one empty. There are about 8,500 cameras in the area so I'm not sure how he thought that scheme would pan out.

All along I'd seen him stealing soda from the cafe, I thought that's what would get him fired.
This is what irks me.
We report it to leadership when we see TMs/TLs helping themselves to free drinks/food but we're blown off.
It isn't until they move up to higher dollar theft (& they ALWAYS do) that they get on AP's radar & eventually busted.
Yet, every time we tell someone when it happens often enough that it's not an isolated incident, we're told that it's an HR issue or too low on the list to be a concern.
But let it be a barista or FATM & BOOM! Termed faster than you can say 'degreaser'.

This is what irks me.
We report it to leadership when we see TMs/TLs helping themselves to free drinks/food but we're blown off.
It isn't until they move up to higher dollar theft (& they ALWAYS do) that they get on AP's radar & eventually busted.
Yet, every time we tell someone when it happens often enough that it's not an isolated incident, we're told that it's an HR issue or too low on the list to be a concern.
But let it be a barista or FATM & BOOM! Termed faster than you can say 'degreaser'.
Food consumption (stolen food) on the clock is considered to be an HR issue by Target. It takes a lot longer to term TMs for that.

Not that I agree with it.

We always take note of TM concerns and reports of incidents, even if they're "just" HR issues.

As you mentioned, taking food every now and then for lunch is often an indicator that the TM is up to something else as well.

So yes, we pay attention. It doesn't always seem like action is taken immediately, but (without going into details) believe me when I say it gets noted and we pay attention.

This is what irks me.

Is it like that for your store? I always feel like AP / leadership (besides our lead) does not give a fuck whats going on over in starbucks unless we tell them somethings broken or someone's about to hit compliance.

Like I feel like I could go to the back of starbucks, be on my phone for an hour and nobody would even know. I wouldn't because I don't mind doing my job at all but I feel like I could totally get away with it if I wanted to.

Some old guy Showing a 30 sec video on his phone to a team member both off the clock am that TM found it inappropriate, complained to TL and got the guy fired. What a lame. At least put on a CCA. Maybe they should remove the TV from the breakroom as well.

There was a guy that got this other chick fired over some bullshit, she jokingly, in the most obvious fucking way imaginable, said she was "going to kick his ass" if he didn't do X or help her with Y or whatever. We all knew she was just being silly because she was always cheerful and had an upbeat "I like to have fun at work" personality. But the guy actually went straight to HR and complained that she made him feel uncomfortable and threatened with that comment, and they fired her the same day. After that we all avoided the guy, referred to him as "that bitch" behind his back, and "someone" even warned the seasonals to watch their jokes around him because he was a humorless pussy and would snitch. He eventually got fed up with everyone giving him the stinkeye and quit. Happy trails (maybe he'll find his balls somewhere along the way)

Last edited:
There was a guy that got this other chick fired over some bullshit, she jokingly, in the most obvious fucking way imaginable, said she was "going to kick his ass" if he didn't do X or help her with Y or whatever. We all knew she was just being silly because she was always cheerful and had an upbeat "I like to have fun at work" personality. But the guy actually went straight to HR and complained that she made him feel uncomfortable and threatened with that comment, and they fired her the same day. After that we all avoided the guy, referred to him as "that bitch" behind his back, and "someone" even warned the seasonals to watch their jokes around him because he was a humorless pussy and would snitch. He eventually got fed up with everyone giving him the stinkeye and quit. Happy trails (maybe he'll find his balls somewhere along the way)
I feel ya. Guess no first amendment at Target.

A long time pricing tm at my store was venting in the break room about an obnoxious ETL and said that she could suck it. Our butt kissing VML and another tm heard and ratted him out to HR. When they termed him he threw his discount card at the ETL HR, then his name tag, told them they were the reason the store was falling apart and before he could throw his walkie at her the LOG ETL stepped in front of him to take it. Then when he left he peed on their car door handles. It was awesome. Everyone talked about it for weeks. He actually came shopping the other day after not seeing him for almost a year and he got a bunch of high fives.:D
They got what they deserve after what they did to him. There is too much ass kissing within the bompany.

no cameras on the coolers doors? as someone who was a former thief as a kid for 5 years now working in retail...I'd just look at who enters and exits the fridge at certain times and keep track of those dpcis that keep disappearing...find the regular time of that by checking market tm schedules and then walk in the breakroom and bust them. bwhahahaha not that hard actually unless Im missing something because ive never worked AP
Who cares. One way or another it will get either damaged, be out of temp or expired. Or eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back