Archived Switching Workcenters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my situation. I'm about two weeks shy of finishing my 90 days. I was hired as a cashier and I loved it for a while but at this point I just don't want to be a cashier anymore. The horrible scheduling, recent increase in pressure about redcards, and large amount of extreme couponers make me dread going to work now. My store has been hiring people for hardlines for a while but it seems that they haven't filled all the positions yet. I was wondering how tough it would be for me to switch over to hardlines after my 90 days if at all possible. I'm on the good side of the gstls and gsas if it makes any difference.

Tell the GSTLs, ETLs, HR, whoever that you're interested in cross-training.

It took over a year for me to be officially trained in hardlines, but I got onto the floor by volunteering to help out with re-shop when it was quiet at the lanes.

I find that with cashiers, they will cross train you enough to steal you for the sales floor on nights where they desperately need more bodies, but as far as making a full workcenter swap they're way more unwilling to do that. Everyone hates cashiering and almost all want to switch to sales floor after a few months. I understand completely, trust me. But if every request to transfer from cashier to sales floor (or even a third of them) was granted, target would be scrambling year round to fill the void in cashier positions.

However, it could still be a possibility. It may be unlikely, but still a possibility because I have seen it happen when I thought it couldn't in my store. Sometimes if you get denied the first time, you have to try again a while later. It will never hurt you to try, and then try again and again, but just don't get your hopes up :)

I find that with cashiers, they will cross train you enough to steal you for the sales floor on nights where they desperately need more bodies, but as far as making a full workcenter swap they're way more unwilling to do that. Everyone hates cashiering and almost all want to switch to sales floor after a few months. I understand completely, trust me. But if every request to transfer from cashier to sales floor (or even a third of them) was granted, target would be scrambling year round to fill the void in cashier positions.

However, it could still be a possibility. It may be unlikely, but still a possibility because I have seen it happen when I thought it couldn't in my store. Sometimes if you get denied the first time, you have to try again a while later. It will never hurt you to try, and then try again and again, but just don't get your hopes up :)

This. I forgot to mention in my previous post that my primary workcenter wasn't changed from cashier to hardlines until about two years after I completed my learning plan. And it was my then-STL that did it because we were short on hardlines TMs at the time and she knew I wanted to switch.

It's luck and talking to your etl about what you're interested in and how you think your skills will apply to that work center. You also might just be more valuable as a cashier. You mention being concerned about coupon fraud. They might not want to let you go because most cashiers don't care about it unless a gstl is watching. The ones who care about things like fraud end up being too good to let go because they're hard to replace. Competence is hard to find for cashiers as it's more than scanning items, asking about our Lord and savior the red card, and taking the guests money.

Also, try and take hardline shifts on the swap shift board. That's one way to force the issue of training you if you get some of the shifts. If they think your capable after a few shifts you might get moved over. That's how one of my friends ended up primarily as hardlines.

It's luck and talking to your etl about what you're interested in and how you think your skills will apply to that work center. You also might just be more valuable as a cashier. You mention being concerned about coupon fraud. They might not want to let you go because most cashiers don't care about it unless a gstl is watching. The ones who care about things like fraud end up being too good to let go because they're hard to replace. Competence is hard to find for cashiers as it's more than scanning items, asking about our Lord and savior the red card, and taking the guests money.

ITA! One of my GSTLs is moving to HLTL and I told him to take me with him. He said you aren't going anywhere. You're too good of a cashier! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back