Archived Talent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tired Grunt

Just a Grunt
I've been with Target for roughly 4 months, so I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of target's operations, but the other day my HR-ETL notified me to attend some talent day event and I said I'll be there.

Has anybody gone through the Talent Day event? I'm aware it's for leadership to acknowledge new potential leaders and all the other good stuff that sounds great on paper, but is it worth attending? Is it even effective at all?

Just wondering for advice and guidance for those who has been through, going through or know about it. Thanks in advance!

From another thread:
I found this: "talent development days are a monthly opportunity for a number of ETLs (Executive Team Leaders) to join the DTL and hosting STLs in a day of developmental activities geared at teaching, training and developing each leader through activities such as:

–Store visits to neighboring Target stores to assess wins, opportunities and fresh perspectives.

–Roundtable discussions surrounding leadership tools and new company/store initiatives.

–Mock interviews."

And this from a poster here: "
This was a common thing in my area for TLs who were interested in moving up. There was a monthly (sometimes only quarterly) meeting where TLs/Sr.TLs and ETLs/STLs from around the district would get together and do sort of mini-mock interviews, discuss leadership strategies, etc., all aimed at helping people get ready for the next step in their Target careers, just as you've described. They would also use the Talent Days to establish mentor/mentee relationships between TLs/Sr.s and ETLs/STLs from other stores, and then have followup emails/meetings, blah blah etc.

I don't recall ever seeing one for TMs, but it makes sense. I'm sure the specific content won't be quite the same (since your current role is much different from a TL/Sr.TL's), but the basic idea will be: discussing how to make yourselves better at what you do, how to find and take on extra responsibilities, how to prepare for the responsibilities of your desired next step (and the interview for it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they even do the mentorship thing. I'd imagine your Day will be TMs meeting primarily with TLs though, as opposed to primarily execs. It just makes more sense.

(Disclaimer: I never actually attended one of these meetings, as I never had a desire to become an exec. But plenty of my peers went to (and subsequently complained about) them through the years.)"

indigo25, Jan 26, 2015

If you wavy to move up and they asked you to go, go. Even if it's a waste of time, it shows you are willing to jump when they say jump.

To update... the leadership decided not to have me go through the whole talent day meet/greet and go directly to passing me though the interview process for ETL. Though that sounds great, I can't help but wonder if it'll only do me more harm than good since I'll be missing out on mock interviews, leadership discussions, etc. In other words, it looks like I'm being thrown into the waters to most likely sink depending on how difficult they want to make the whole process considering they haven't prep'd me for any of it. Anybody got fresh viewpoints or is my own the most likely scenario?

To update... the leadership decided not to have me go through the whole talent day meet/greet and go directly to passing me though the interview process for ETL. Though that sounds great, I can't help but wonder if it'll only do me more harm than good since I'll be missing out on mock interviews, leadership discussions, etc. In other words, it looks like I'm being thrown into the waters to most likely sink depending on how difficult they want to make the whole process considering they haven't prep'd me for any of it. Anybody got fresh viewpoints or is my own the most likely scenario?
Sounds like they really want you as an etl so you'll probably get the gig as long as you don't royally fuck up the interview with the dtl

I would pester, but the interview date was also pushed up, as they wanted me to be interviewed by as many of the necessary leaders as possible on the same day. Time is definitely against me, weird situation indeed.

I would pester, but the interview date was also pushed up, as they wanted me to be interviewed by as many of the necessary leaders as possible on the same day. Time is definitely against me, weird situation indeed.
If they didn't want you they'd have refused the interviews...ask me how I know.

I'm hoping it is because they want me and not just to throw me a bone and say "We gave you the interview, you didn't make it, now stop bothering us and get back to work"

If your a tl and they are telling you to go it's because they want you as an ETL. When I was a tm I was sent to one and had an interview for tl week letter I was notified they wanted to offer me a tl position. Good luck you must have done something to impress leadership

If your a tl and they are telling you to go it's because they want you as an ETL. When I was a tm I was sent to one and had an interview for tl week letter I was notified they wanted to offer me a tl position. Good luck you must have done something to impress leadership

Problem is I'm still a TM, 5 months into job~ Can't tell if they are serious or just brushing me off.

Sorry, I never updated my situation!

I was benched shortly after the talent day, signed off by store leadership and HRBP. But my intentions was always ETL and not a TL position which I made clear to them. They claimed that ETL positions were limited and advised me to be a TL in the meantime, which I respectfully declined. I am actually not with Target anymore as I have moved on to another company. So even though I'm not with spot anymore, I've had experience on being benched, interviews for TL and ETL, so I just want to be able to help others aspiring to move up at Target.

Last edited:
Sorry, I never updated my situation!

I was benched shortly after the talent day, signed off by store leadership and HRBP. But my intentions was always ETL and not a TL position which I made clear to them. They claimed that ETL positions were limited and advised me to be a TL in the meantime, which I respectfully declined. I am actually not with Target anymore as I have moved on to another company. So even though I'm not with spot anymore, I've had experience on being benched, interviews for TL and ETL, so I just want to be able to help others aspiring to move up at Target.

my only question is,

1) How do I pursue a future Target without being a Vampire (The one's based out of The Witcher series)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back