Archived Target Could Exit Canada This Year, After $2.1 Billion U.S. In Losses: Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target Corp. will likely make a decision within the next few months on whether or not to “pull completely” out of Canada, a prominent retail analyst says.

Brian Sozzi of Belus Capital Advisors, one of the first analysts to note Target Canada’s problems with empty shelves, says he expects the retailer’s new CEO to make a major decision on the company’s future in Canada no later than its earnings call on Feb. 25.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/05/target-canada-brian-sozzi_n_6417828.html

Will it happen?

No. I can see stores in smaller markets being shuttered but not the entire company leaving Canada. Looks like people are just going to have to suck it up and accept the fact that Spot is here to stay :)

They will examine which stores are not performing up to expectations and possible close a set number.

Well because I live where corporate is, they're talking about this on the news right now. So they're defineflg closing stores in Canada. Idk if all, but some for sure.

They will have some sweet deals if they're open during the liquidation.......

Makes me wonder what Bob would've done.
Gregg ran things into the ground with his "Achieving Excellence" (cut 'til you can't bleed any more), a poorly-executed launch in Canada, failure to invest in technology that could've prevented the data breach to name a few.
Granted, he was at the whim of the stockholders but it would've been nice to see him put up a LITTLE resistance to some of these bone-headed moves.

failure to invest in technology that could've prevented the data breach
The sad part is they actually did, they just ignored the alerts their super-anti intrusion software threw up when the malware made it's way onto the payment network.

The sad part is they actually did, they just ignored the alerts their super-anti intrusion software threw up when the malware made it's way onto the payment network.

From what I gathered they had turned it off so they could work on the system.
Kind of like turning off the fire alarm because it was making too much noise.
Kind of explains why most of the department went by by.

Just a couple of weeks ago there was a story about the breach.
Usually in a breach it is the bank that suffers and has to suck up the losses.
However, it has been determined that "we" (being Target) disabled some of the newly purchased 2014 security program and by disabling these things shows that Target was aware that there were some problems. By disabling parts of the whole system it shows that Target was negligent.
Being negligent allows the banks to sue Target.
There are already class action suits that have been filed against Target.

So, pulling out of Canada might not be enough to save Targets' a$$. In a couple of years Target may have to file bankruptcy...then it is bye bye Target.

As things shut down you start getting more creative.
Here are a couple from some of my coworkers at the Big Box Bookstore

invisibility-cloaks-50-percent-off-400x525.jpg

tryamazon.jpg

Borders_sign-e1316193088193-375x500.jpg

Now that the whole store is in PTM mode (yes, I stuck a red dot on the entry doors) we get to do fun cross merchandising like putting pop rocks, valentine bears, and Godiva choclates in the condom aisle. :)

Actually the pop rocks is quite fitting. You should try it sometime. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back