Archived Target credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a red card but it's debit and comes out of my bank, is there a separate Target credit card? I'm 25 and need to start establishing credit and every credit card I apply for denies me due to lack of credit history. So I'm in a serious catch 22 and I figured Target wouldn't deny me since I work there lol and it would be a way to start building my credit.

There is a separate card for credit. Not sure if it's easier to get. Pay it off every month.

Yes, there is. Working at Target won't guarantee that you will get approved. You can apply for it online or in store. If you do get, make sure you pay the balance asap to avoid the crazy high interest.

What they said. Dont keep a balance on it, the interest will wipe out that extra 5 percent off real quick!

I ad a Target card when I turned 18 (not even sure if they offered 5% off back then) and I maxed it out pretty quickly. I have another now, but I never even activated it. I only applied so my store could make goal. But yes, it's a good card to have. You can buy something in store and literally walk to the service desk and pay it off right then.

Just set up automatic payment so you never have to worry about it.

I have a red card but it's debit and comes out of my bank, is there a separate Target credit card? I'm 25 and need to start establishing credit and every credit card I apply for denies me due to lack of credit history. So I'm in a serious catch 22 and I figured Target wouldn't deny me since I work there lol and it would be a way to start building my credit.

If you have a RED debit there is no reason to get a RED credit card. Shop around & find a card with better interest AND better rewards. You're are already getting the 5% with your debit card, a RED credit card won't get you anything extra, except a crazy high interest rate. You can easily do better on the rate + get rewards with another credit card.

I re-established my credit by giving the bank $500, then borrowing it back and paying it off in a year. I did that two years in a row - it's called a Secured Loan Deposit. My credit score went from zero to 690.

The only downside was each loan cost me $75.

I re-established my credit by giving the bank $500, then borrowing it back and paying it off in a year. I did that two years in a row - it's called a Secured Loan Deposit. My credit score went from zero to 690.

The only downside was each loan cost me $75.

I did pretty much the same thing, though I used a credit union and one of their 3 year interest accounts.
I'd declared bankruptcy and paid cash for everything for more than ten years so I had a zero credit rating as well.
Now it's in the 700s.
But I'm also lucky to have a daughter who works at the credit union, who knows how to make this all work.

I had capital one card. I applied thinking I wouldn't get approved but they approved me. I recommended it to a friend who didn't have credit and she got approved. Make sure to pay off 30% of what you use. Its actually bad to pay off completely. Found this out trying to get a home loan.

If you have a RED debit there is no reason to get a RED credit card. Shop around & find a card with better interest AND better rewards. You're are already getting the 5% with your debit card, a RED credit card won't get you anything extra, except a crazy high interest rate. You can easily do better on the rate + get rewards with another credit card.

Well I was only getting it to establish credit because no other card is approving me. Tried American Express, Chase, JCpenny, PC Richards, Amazon etc.

And the reasoning behind all of them is that I have insufficient credit history.

Well I was only getting it to establish credit because no other card is approving me. Tried American Express, Chase, JCpenny, PC Richards, Amazon etc.

And the reasoning behind all of them is that I have insufficient credit history.

If you have a bank account get a credit/debit card. you can always cancel for credit.

What they said. Dont keep a balance on it, the interest will wipe out that extra 5 percent off real quick!
Please, if you're looking to establish credit, stay as far away from the Target credit card as you can. The interest is insane. Shop around and find yourself a better card.

These.
The interest is what, 29%? I don't actively steer guests away from the card, but I make sure they know that before they sign up.

I have a credit redcard for emergencies

Let's hope I'm never that far gone that I have a target financial emergency.

Do you belong to a credit union? They can be more "forgiving" of lack of credit history. Another idea would be to look for a credit card with a lower limit.

I had capital one card. I applied thinking I wouldn't get approved but they approved me. I recommended it to a friend who didn't have credit and she got approved. Make sure to pay off 30% of what you use. Its actually bad to pay off completely. Found this out trying to get a home loan.

Capital one were the first to accept me as well. I tell everybody that's trying to get a card to start credit.

This is a little misleading its not that its bad to pay it off completely. Its just that you should always pay it off after you get a bill with a balance.

I use to pay off my credit card the same day I made the purchases and its true that doesnt build any credit because at the end of your statement there is no balance but if you pay it off each month after gettinh a statement you can build credit just fine.

Keeping a balance accrues interest which if you dont have great credit is costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back