Archived Target GSA vs. Walmart CSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
Does anyone know of any major differences between these two otherwise similar positions? Any CSMs who also GSA'd? I know Wally CSMs make slightly more and can give coachings.

I interviewed for the walmart csm position, and was actually offered a front end zone manager (gstl) position, but turned it down.

Like you said, they do make a little bit more. From the conversation I had with my interviewer, it sounded like the division of labor is a lot more defined than it is at target; you don't mess with cash office (that's a separate accounting department) but that's about all i know.

Is a CSM equivalent to gsa or Gstl, or etl?
Other stores consider gstl equal to head cashier, while gsa is equal to assistant head cashier - to cover the basic functions of the day when the head cashier isn't in or unavailable.
CSM seems like it is customer service manager.. At other stores the word manager in its name would indicate what target calls an etl - like at Lowes, their assistant manager is equal to targets executive team leader. Their department head is equal to targets team leader.

When I looked up what CSM was at Walmart, it seems like gstl position, but for less money..so I am not sue

customer service manager = gsa
zone manager = team leader
I believe (testing my knowledge) the next level up is the front end assistant, which i believe is equivalent of an etl-ge, but i'm not completely sure

they use "manager" for just about everything

Here is how it is at Meijer. Slightly unrelated to the topic, but still interesting to see how different retailers use different positions.

-Utility Worker. Collects carts and maintains store cleanliness. Unlike Target, UW's cannot be register trained. The only position available for minors.
-Cashier.... Need I say more?
-Service Desk... Need I say more? In addition to returns, SDesk also handles Western Union, Lottery, and Postal Service... Horrible when scheduled by yourself.
-Fast Lane Coordinator. Responsible for supervising self-checkouts.
-Service coordinator; also called the head cashier or lead. Equivalent to the GSA. Responsible for handling cashier/customer inquires, managing lane usage, calls for backup, plans breaks/lunches, gets cash pickups, etc. Does not have cash office responsibility. SC's make an extra .25 cents per hour when they act as an SC.
-Service TL; equivalent to the GSTL. Responsible for frontend scheduling, service scores, training, etc.
-Service Area Leader; a step-between the TL/Service Lines Leader, usually reserved for a benched TL or Lines Leader in training. This person is responsible for service scores for the whole store. Mainly fills in during TL's absence
-Service Lines Leader; equivalent of the ETL-GE. Responsible for acting as "Store Director-in-Charge" when needed, owns service payroll, consults with the service TL about scheduling/training, can hire/fire team members, etc.

I used to work for Wal-Mart, I would say that CSM is closer to gsa than a gstl. They used to have a lead csm position that was closer to a tl, but that was gotten rid of at least ten years ago. The closest thing to a TL at Wal-Mart is a department manager. Sr tl is a zone manager. Granted the csm pay is closer to gstl than gsa.

At my other job in a grocery store, it goes from Cashier (cashier, self check, service desk) straight to Head Cashier, who is a "core manager" and pay starts at $19.

At my other job in a grocery store, it goes from Cashier (cashier, self check, service desk) straight to Head Cashier, who is a "core manager" and pay starts at $19.

Union?

When I was with Wal-Mart as a CSM we were responsible for scheduling, coaching, reviews, and GSA-type functions. Only CSMs could do money orders. We were also first responders to elevated customer service issues whether it was front end or outlying register related or not. The addition of the numerous outlying registers (garden, vision Center, pharmacy, electronics, sporting goods, cosmetics, jewellery, the restaurant, and layaway) added a lot of extra work as registers opened with only $75 and inevitably needed change often. In addition cashier accountability required all cashiers have a seperate drawer and no two people were to ever utilise the same cash drawer. Cash drawers were locked up, so calling for back up required the extra steps of unlocking a cash drawer for a cashier and then opening a terminal each time they responded to back up.

From my personal experience CSM was more or less the same thing as a GSTL comparing the companies. At the same time CSM was much more stressful than GSTL but CSM was only a 50¢ raise.

EDIT: I should say, some time has passed, and perhaps functions have changed. Zone Manager didn't exist at that time and CSM was lateral to Department Managers, of which non super Center stores had around 26-34.

I need to add to my last post:
CSMs were also responsible for terminations. We didn't have the final say on a termination, but we were responsible to deliver the termination if the employee were in our area. We did have the authority to suspend an employee in our area without overhead approval, however.

I wouldn't put these duties under GSA at target.

As a CSM/CSS you will get actual TL type duties and respect, plus better pay. Yes, better pay. Say if you're in a market that pays 9.50 at Target, you'll probably get 10.90 at Walmart. If you're in a market that does 11-12, like Atlanta, then you might get 13-14, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The training is a lot better as well. As far as duties, you might do coachings but scheduling is up to the ASM.

Funny you bring this up Flabber. I just got hired on as a Wal-Mart CSM today (LOL FUCK YOU TARGET).

I was explaining the GSA position and what I did at Target to the hiring manager, and he said CSM is pretty much the exact same thing. When I start, I can tell you a little more about it. There are bound to be plenty of differences though, so I'm curious to know as well.
And I will be making more than at Target...I was making 10.50 as a GSA at Target, and I'll be making 11.30 here.

I know switching from Target to Walmart is generally considered a downgrade, but honestly, this Walmart is super-nice (there is apparently a such thing as a super-nice wal-mart). It's clean and it's the biggest walmart I've ever seen. every time I've been in there the zone is perfect. I've always been astounded by it. It's brand new too, it just opened this year. The management seemed really nice and like they were enjoying themselves, they were all laughing and joking around with each other during my interview. It's a big difference from the walmart down the street...that place is horrendous, and exactly the reason why people think of Walmart the way they do.

Edit: I just noticed how old this was, but hey. I'm curious now.

Last edited:
Funny you bring this up Flabber. I just got hired on as a Wal-Mart CSM today (LOL FUCK YOU TARGET).

I was explaining the GSA position and what I did at Target to the hiring manager, and he said CSM is pretty much the exact same thing. When I start, I can tell you a little more about it. There are bound to be plenty of differences though, so I'm curious to know as well.
And I will be making more than at Target...I was making 10.50 as a GSA at Target, and I'll be making 11.30 here.

I know switching from Target to Walmart is generally considered a downgrade, but honestly, this Walmart is super-nice (there is apparently a such thing as a super-nice wal-mart). It's clean and it's the biggest walmart I've ever seen. every time I've been in there the zone is perfect. I've always been astounded by it. It's brand new too, it just opened this year. The management seemed really nice and like they were enjoying themselves, they were all laughing and joking around with each other during my interview. It's a big difference from the walmart down the street...that place is horrendous, and exactly the reason why people think of Walmart the way they do.

Congrats!! See, getting out of that red shithole got you a pay raise and a side of happiness. I've considered applying for CSM myself and will probably do so. I hope you like it!

I bet people from Wal-Mart say the same thin when they leave Wal-Mart to something else just like we do about Target haha

Does wal-mart have a site/forum like this ?

Did you walk away from Dollar General?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back