MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

6 of the 8 screws are the same size. Those 6 are the only ones you need to get into the whole device. I have noticed a trend where the ones that rattle are the ones that have scanning issues. I took out the piece that rattles (little metal cover, looks like 1cm x 1cm). I'm going to try to use that myDevice all day tomorrow to see if it scans all day.

EDIT: numbers
Lemme know, I've got one that rattles...

The device that I fixed hasn't had any problems. It was only a day and a half of testing, so there is still a chance that it'll fail. We'll see. But I figured I'd post a guide of what I did because I'm definitely going to try this with the others that stop scanning.

So, the device I was using would rattle occasionally. It would work for a while, then it would stop scanning. A restart wouldn't fix it, but it would scan again if I took the scanner battery out and put it back in. However, that was just a temporary fix and it would stop working after a while. We noticed a that the bad myDevices would rattle, so I took it apart and took out the loose piece. Here's how.

Use a torx driver (size T6). Our store was able to order one that we keep in TSC. You'll need to take off three pairs of screws - all with a T6. Two on the front at the top, two on the back at the bottom, and two more on the inside. After taking out the four screws on the outside, you can pop open the myDevice with a little effort. The last two screws are on the top of the board. The board itself will not completely come off, but you just need to slide the bottom of it to the side a bit. You'll be able to see that little metal cover somewhere inside. Take it out. It doesn't seem to be able to go back on, and I know I'd get glue everywhere if I tried to glue it. Plus, the piece doesn't seem to be important.

So, here are some thoughts. My guess is that while the piece is not important, it could screw things up when it's loose. It might be messing with the electricity somewhere and that's what's causing the scanner to stop working. Also, I have a feeling that the developers would be unlikely to encounter this problem. The piece probably broke off after we dropped it a bunch of times (plus it still works occasionally, so dropping it wouldn't seem to be the cause). Can someone tag the devs who read this site? I don't know who all of them are anymore. I'd like to hear what they think.

The device that I fixed hasn't had any problems. It was only a day and a half of testing, so there is still a chance that it'll fail. We'll see. But I figured I'd post a guide of what I did because I'm definitely going to try this with the others that stop scanning.

So, the device I was using would rattle occasionally. It would work for a while, then it would stop scanning. A restart wouldn't fix it, but it would scan again if I took the scanner battery out and put it back in. However, that was just a temporary fix and it would stop working after a while. We noticed a that the bad myDevices would rattle, so I took it apart and took out the loose piece. Here's how.

Use a torx driver (size T6). Our store was able to order one that we keep in TSC. You'll need to take off three pairs of screws - all with a T6. Two on the front at the top, two on the back at the bottom, and two more on the inside. After taking out the four screws on the outside, you can pop open the myDevice with a little effort. The last two screws are on the top of the board. The board itself will not completely come off, but you just need to slide the bottom of it to the side a bit. You'll be able to see that little metal cover somewhere inside. Take it out. It doesn't seem to be able to go back on, and I know I'd get glue everywhere if I tried to glue it. Plus, the piece doesn't seem to be important.

So, here are some thoughts. My guess is that while the piece is not important, it could screw things up when it's loose. It might be messing with the electricity somewhere and that's what's causing the scanner to stop working. Also, I have a feeling that the developers would be unlikely to encounter this problem. The piece probably broke off after we dropped it a bunch of times (plus it still works occasionally, so dropping it wouldn't seem to be the cause). Can someone tag the devs who read this site? I don't know who all of them are anymore. I'd like to hear what they think.
@AnotherGuy @mobileFellow

Did you try the "stick it on the charger and reboot it while still on" trick? My problem device will scan for a couple hours then need this cradled reboot to go for another couple hours.

Did you order the T6 through SAP? Part number? I can ask APTL if we can keep one at TSC in the key box.

I'm hoping the asshat that broke it between my shifts got a corrective action for breaking it. I know they checked the cameras after I fussed about it since it was a TL with known anger issues....

Did you try the "stick it on the charger and reboot it while still on" trick? My problem device will scan for a couple hours then need this cradled reboot to go for another couple hours.

Did you order the T6 through SAP? Part number? I can ask APTL if we can keep one at TSC in the key box.

I'm hoping the asshat that broke it between my shifts got a corrective action for breaking it. I know they checked the cameras after I fussed about it since it was a TL with known anger issues....
A repeated reboot is exactly what I'm trying to avoid needing. So far so good, although I was off today. I'll try to use the same one again tomorrow and let you guys know if there are any issues.

I'm not sure how they got the T6. SAP seems like a good place to look, though. I'll search for it on there and see if I can find anything.

A repeated reboot is exactly what I'm trying to avoid needing. So far so good, although I was off today. I'll try to use the same one again tomorrow and let you guys know if there are any issues.

I'm not sure how they got the T6. SAP seems like a good place to look, though. I'll search for it on there and see if I can find anything.
I normally only need one or two a day. So I normally just do it every break and type in everything between breaks if it stops scanning. Its only a problem when I have to sort signs for carry forward/discontinued.

I found it in SAP by searching for "eklind" (that's the name on the side of it). Manufacturer part number is 20911. Supplier part number is 6X302. Should cost about $5.

The device I fiddled with still hasn't had any issues!
I know what I'm ordering first thing tomorrow. :)

I've pulled out those annoying shields myself once they break loose. They cause a short on occasion which kills the scanner. My current problem are the sled batteries dying before the ipod but instead of letting to know the battery is dead it'll just disconnect. Reconnecting will have the battery declaring 75% right up until you scan something.

I just ordered two T6 for our myDevices. One of ours keeps connecting and disconnecting every second.

I've still have yet to be taught how to use one. A lot of the time I stay a couple of hours extra to help, and someone always says, "oh you need to learn how to use these"...............................THEN TEACH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but what happens after that!?
Then a bunch of info about the item shows up and you read it.

What are you trying to do? If you're a cart attendant, then this is pretty much all you'll ever need. What do you want to learn? How to backstock/pull? Pfresh/Starbucks/FoodAve order? QMOS? Check REDwire? Get on Workbench? Process store pickups via MyGO?

Then a bunch of info about the item shows up and you read it.

What are you trying to do? If you're a cart attendant, then this is pretty much all you'll ever need. What do you want to learn? How to backstock/pull? Pfresh/Starbucks/FoodAve order? QMOS? Check REDwire? Get on Workbench? Process store pickups via MyGO?
I am just a CA. But since I normally stay extra hours to help I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I already know how to run Pizza Hut, so I'm looking to learn more. Not trying to get so much work that I can't d0 my original job, but I normally have time to help. STL keeps telling me that its great If I learn.

I am just a CA. But since I normally stay extra hours to help I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I already know how to run Pizza Hut, so I'm looking to learn more. Not trying to get so much work that I can't d0 my original job, but I normally have time to help. STL keeps telling me that its great If I learn.
In that case, you'll likely just need to point and shoot as PullMonkey said.

1. Turn it on (home button or power button on the top)
  2. Swipe to the right
  3. Enter password (probably your store number)
  4. If you see a page with item details (name, location, price), skip to 7
  5. Hit the home button to return to the main screen
  6. Select the 'MyWork' app. Probably one of the four apps in the dock at the bottom of the screen
  7. Press one of the black buttons on either side of the MyDevice to activate the scanner. If it doesn't work right away, give it a few seconds to connect. You might hear a little chime noise, that's just the scanner connecting
  8. Scan a barcode
  9. Main screen will show you all the locations where the item can be found, the price, if it's on sale, promos, etc. Will also show you how many are on the floor, and if there's any in the back
  10. Pressing the blue text at the top that describes the item will bring you to the 'InStocks/Backroom' screen. Here, you can see specific backroom locations (don't worry about em') as well as the total on-hand count, if the store is set to receive any more of the item in the coming week, etc. Press the blue text again to go back to the normal view.
I think that's the basics anyway

My T6 is ordered. Picked up a cute ratcheting set from Lowes this afternoon in the meantime. It can stay in my desk and go to the husband if I don't need it. $3 on clearance wasn't bad.

Can't wait a week for the other one. My problem device has been sitting on the TSC desk all week with a note to send it out. When HRTM didn't pack it up to send out yesterday I decided to charge it and continue to tinker. I leave a note that says "Needs to fully charge-DO NOT TAKE-minion" Old guy grabs it, doesn't check it out. Doesn't respond after I ask who has that device. My TL says he has it, she's with him. So I grab my note, slap it on the desk next to her, ask her why we check things out if people will just take them, remind her if we steal equipment we should be checking it out to ourselves, not hiding it, and remind her that its not fully functional and thats why it was charging-I don't want to hear a peep when it stops soon, since it was only charging for a little over an hour from 5% sled power, 0 ipod. Pass old man later-give him an ugly look and he asks why. I remind him he stole my device and now I'm having issues doing my damn job. He retorts its not holding a charge so its not even usable. Idiot. Go back and grab it off the desk again, now with note to send out "battery doesn't hold a charge". Pop it on charger with note attached. Check on the way home. Charged sled, charged battery. Ask my TL to witness it fully charged and tear up note.

I'll pop the case and pull the jingle on Monday. Although its kind of fun to be the only one to know how to make it work...I always have a device.

My T6 is ordered. Picked up a cute ratcheting set from Lowes this afternoon in the meantime. It can stay in my desk and go to the husband if I don't need it. $3 on clearance wasn't bad.

Can't wait a week for the other one. My problem device has been sitting on the TSC desk all week with a note to send it out. When HRTM didn't pack it up to send out yesterday I decided to charge it and continue to tinker. I leave a note that says "Needs to fully charge-DO NOT TAKE-minion" Old guy grabs it, doesn't check it out. Doesn't respond after I ask who has that device. My TL says he has it, she's with him. So I grab my note, slap it on the desk next to her, ask her why we check things out if people will just take them, remind her if we steal equipment we should be checking it out to ourselves, not hiding it, and remind her that its not fully functional and thats why it was charging-I don't want to hear a peep when it stops soon, since it was only charging for a little over an hour from 5% sled power, 0 ipod. Pass old man later-give him an ugly look and he asks why. I remind him he stole my device and now I'm having issues doing my damn job. He retorts its not holding a charge so its not even usable. Idiot. Go back and grab it off the desk again, now with note to send out "battery doesn't hold a charge". Pop it on charger with note attached. Check on the way home. Charged sled, charged battery. Ask my TL to witness it fully charged and tear up note.

I'll pop the case and pull the jingle on Monday. Although its kind of fun to be the only one to know how to make it work...I always have a device.
Gotta hate people like that.

Update on my methods. The myDevice that I thought I fixed stopped working today, after several days of flawless use. Heartbreaking, I know. So I tried (carefully) bending the pins that are in contact with the sled battery and it worked the rest of my shift (6+ hours). That must be the root problem, which makes a lot of sense. I bent the three little metal pieces up to make sure they would definitely all touch the sled battery even if the battery wasn't in the perfect spot. So far so good. I also tried it on a different problematic myDevice. I'll keep you guys updated.

Back