MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

First of all, hi. First post and first day in this forum, sorry if this or something similar has been posted before.

For stores that have begun switching to iPod Touches from the normal PDA's, how did that work? We got a few for registries but none for team members(which we DESPERATELY need, we're constantly asking to see if anyone has a PDA someone else can use), so I was just curious if they're coming soon, or if those are the only ones we're getting for a while.

We're one of the test stores for this and the few times I've had one it's been a pain. Not a fan so far.

First of all, hi. First post and first day in this forum, sorry if this or something similar has been posted before.

For stores that have begun switching to iPod Touches from the normal PDA's, how did that work? We got a few for registries but none for team members(which we DESPERATELY need, we're constantly asking to see if anyone has a PDA someone else can use), so I was just curious if they're coming soon, or if those are the only ones we're getting for a while.
Stores should be getting them if not already, before the holidays.... If you go on Workbench and click Tools, and then locate Store Specific Rollout, and select your district number, it will tell you what will rollout to your store and on what date. My district however still doesn't have the myDevices (iPods) listed yet so idk when we will get them, unfortunately. But we did get the gift registry iPods and iPads.

Store in my district is doing this.... price change workload is built into it and is a piece of crap. No more open scan you have to find the item it tells you to and scan it like down a list.. guy who helped develop it was in town and when he was told it wouldnt work that way he said we were dumb for saying that and no other price teams would feel that way. HQ is so disconnected from what happens at stores even spending time in one doesnt help their point of view.

The iPod touches are garbage. Nobody wants to use them, they want to use the PDA/LPDAs...They need to invest a device the size of an iPod Touch, MADE solely for retail use...Not an iPod and throw their crap software on a device that is so locked down and restricted by Apple. Does the concept sound cool? Yeah, of course. Invest in devices that are MADE just for retail, not a consumer device. Sure, you can throw an app and barcode reader attachment case on it...But it doesn't mean its going to work well, they are simply not designed for this type of use.

Store in my district is doing this.... price change workload is built into it and is a piece of crap. No more open scan you have to find the item it tells you to and scan it like down a list.. guy who helped develop it was in town and when he was told it wouldnt work that way he said we were dumb for saying that and no other price teams would feel that way. HQ is so disconnected from what happens at stores even spending time in one doesnt help their point of view.

Sadly this is typical, and its probably not even that he didn't believe them, its that the people who told him what to program set the schematic that way. Cause it will be quicker.. After all aren't all stores perfectly zoned at all times? Cause every time they test anything its always done on clean media..

The iPod touches are garbage. Nobody wants to use them, they want to use the PDA/LPDAs...They need to invest a device the size of an iPod Touch, MADE solely for retail use...Not an iPod and throw their crap software on a device that is so locked down and restricted by Apple. Does the concept sound cool? Yeah, of course. Invest in devices that are MADE just for retail, not a consumer device. Sure, you can throw an app and barcode reader attachment case on it...But it doesn't mean its going to work well, they are simply not designed for this type of use.

That is what happens when you try and convert consumer devices for industrial use.. Don't let anyone kid you, what we do is industrial use.. We beat the living crap out of these things.. I doubt the iPods will be able to take the abuse we will chuck at them.. Drop them off a ladder in the stock room? I am betting shattered the first time.. Yes the LPDA/PDAs are more expensive, but how many drops can they take before they break vs the iPod? I am guessing a lot more..

Softlines is going to be a nightmare with these things. Does it even show the salvage, because that doesn't show up under RF Apps, and you can't really get it without open scan....

That is what happens when you try and convert consumer devices for industrial use.. Don't let anyone kid you, what we do is industrial use.. We beat the living crap out of these things.. I doubt the iPods will be able to take the abuse we will chuck at them.. Drop them off a ladder in the stock room? I am betting shattered the first time.. Yes the LPDA/PDAs are more expensive, but how many drops can they take before they break vs the iPod? I am guessing a lot more..

I bet they don't even bounce as high as a PDA!

Oh and get this the lockout is set for 2 minutes! And the TM can't reset it. That really tells you all you need to know.
I think I heard it's been upped to 15 minutes or something, but I could be hallucinating that. Doesn't change the fact that now you have to remember what your eHR password is to use the things. And somehow type it out on a tiny little touchscreen. First time I used an iPod, I was getting legitimately pissed off that my thick fingers could not press the right spots in the screen because I had spent too long pushing freight instead of scanning stuff.

I bet they don't even bounce as high as a PDA!
Oh no, I didn't even think about that. I drop my PDA at least once a shift doing dumb stuff like tossing it between hands or balancing it on my shoulder. I don't want to think what's going to happen when they switch over completely to these tiny plastic devices that don't even make the right beepy noises.

we have been testing them in my store and they are ok. they are WONDERFUL for salefloor use but so far thats about the only thing. supposedly we can use them for plano but they dont tie right if the pog is pre tied and the automatic pog fills that it doesn't even pull half of the stuff for the aisle so you have to put in a new batch anyways... they also log you out often if you dont use it alot and when it prints labels it doesnt print the schematic on it .. prints as a generic. ive been sending daily emails with updates about things that dont work right to our etl in charge of the roll out. but once again let me tell you i think they are wonderful for the salesfloor.

we have been testing them in my store and they are ok. they are WONDERFUL for salefloor use but so far thats about the only thing. supposedly we can use them for plano but they dont tie right if the pog is pre tied and the automatic pog fills that it doesn't even pull half of the stuff for the aisle so you have to put in a new batch anyways... they also log you out often if you dont use it alot and when it prints labels it doesnt print the schematic on it .. prints as a generic. ive been sending daily emails with updates about things that dont work right to our etl in charge of the roll out. but once again let me tell you i think they are wonderful for the salesfloor.

The not pulling everything for POG batches isn't an iPod thing, it happens on the old system all the time. Its been happening for months at my store.

i dont have a problem with my pog fills normally when i drop them with a pda.. the ipods literally just bring out one or two things.

i dont have a problem with my pog fills normally when i drop them with a pda.. the ipods literally just bring out one or two things.
At my store we have to go back and shoot OUTS for revisions and POGS because not everything drops... and we are using PDAs....

since is the closest thread to the topic i've seen... the ipods for registry are awful. i mean, so awful guests leave after trying to work with the device for 30 minutes setting up a registry.

its literally been the same for every store in our area who has rolled them out. even on a good day when they want to work with signal and the software decides to be responsive, the time to create a registry as grown by 10+ minutes.

Back