MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

catrainer

Does anybody know about the new Target iPod Touches for TMs? Are they based off of iOS? What is the difference between regular iPod touches and the Target ones or is there any difference? Just curious.

From another thread:

Right now there are 40 stores currently in pilot for the new Motorola MC9200's, and there are 100 more stores slated to be added to the pilot in June. After the pilot is over, all stores will convert to the MC9200's, effectively replacing the MC9060's and 9090's that the stores use. What's different about these? They run 10 times faster for Web applications (making search and application functions near instant) and also have a slight boost to RFAPP's. RFAPP's never really saw a huge increase to overall speed and performance to it, but that's because the eventual plan is to move everything to Web-based applications (way down the pipeline.) There is no laser anymore, they are LED-based cameras/imagers with cross-hairs that can read both barcodes and QRC's. The overall design/shape of the PDA has remained the same.

50x6SQm.jpg

This one I won't say much about as it is still in beta... lets just say it is the eventual replacement to your beloved LPDA's...

FRmvjHR.jpg

From what I have read spot is using a hybrid of Android.

The article in red magazine is exactly what I am referring to. I am just curious about the details.

Considering what a knife fight it is to get an LPDA at my store, bring it on.

When we are talking about the "future" of Target and how the CEO is going to change things, this is going to be exactly the direction I am hoping (if executed right) we will end up. This is the infrastructure we need to be able to go to the next level! Gregg simply saw the financials, and cut controllable expenses (payroll) in an attempt to make us more profitable...

Instead this is exactly what Target needs to start doing. They need to get us the devices (registers and ipods) that will be able to grow into something more. They need to update Target.com, the Target App, and the Store Devices to work together in a harmonious fashion. This means have card readers on the devices that allows us to ship something to a guests house and offer free shipping. This means making your "Target Account" the single thing required to use all three mediums. Save your Target Card to your account so you do not need to have it on you at all times. This will make my phone the portal to all three options, and the store devices tools to use for to help the guests, with the authority to manage things on all levels. The possibilities are truly endless once this happens! This is the "vibe" and how we can make an experience great!

In addition, Target does need to control its expenses obviously. But it can do this through streamlined processes, not crunching their stores to skeleton crews. It used to have a revolutionized replenishment process, but now its a dinosaur! There is a bandaid in every store (Instocks) to remedy this, but that is just payroll that does not need to be spent. There is much to be fixed, but this would save the company the most payroll in the long haul.

Does anybody know about the new Target iTouches for TMs? Are they based off of iOS? What is the difference between regular iPod touches and the Target ones or is there any difference? Just curious.

Yes, they are referred to as MyDevice. The pilot for the MC40's (the pictured device above) ended testing, and it was decided to not proceed with these. Instead, the new iPod's will be housed in a Honeywell sled that have a external scanner attached to the top of it. As an added bonus, these sleds also have an external battery attached and will charge the iPod when out of the docking station which tremendously extends the operational time capability.

Pilot for iPod's actually begins for 3 stores next week, and the prototype numbers for each store has been significantly ramped up (largest volume will receive is 37 units) with a more wide-scale roll-out in shortly after.

Please keep in mind for those stores that roll into the testing phase, you will require another PDA of some sort to use along with the iPod as most of the applications are still in a rough stage and sometimes will not work.

Last edited:
I love rock l! So true.

The vision should be to generate an experience in our stores in which the guests can use online and mobile mediums intuitively in our physical locations. This will require an update to our replenishment and operations procedures and new store devices to allow us to help manage these new pathways for the guests. This will maximize our previously renovated locations and help to create a "vibe" in our stores where the guest can use their own personal devices to effect and improve their experiences in our stores!

I actually got to use the my devices in November last year and then again from January until mid February when they ended the pilot and took them away. What was nice about them was that they fit in your pocket and had full internet access via Safari so I could look odd questions up that I didn't have the answer to. They came preloaded with target app and an app called my store which allowed you to do item search and make signs and labels. However these devices did not do pulls, in stocks, or most of the usual rf apps tasks. Also in my experience the scanner provided by Honeywell would often times not respond requiring a reboot. I hope they iron out the kinks but in the end they are a really cool way forward for target.

You can use the samsung display at electronics to help you to.

My store's Samsung display isn't set-up yet. But we do have, amusingly enough, working iPhone 5 displays.

And since Target Mobile isn't too busy, I look up stuff on Target.com on their computer.

Why can't the registers be able to item search other store's stock more efficiently? I can find an item but only if I already have the dpci already, why can't I type in words to find the dpci like on the pda item search? But the register are fast at what they do and that is what matters there really.

Why can't the registers be able to item search other store's stock more efficiently? I can find an item but only if I already have the dpci already, why can't I type in words to find the dpci like on the pda item search? But the register are fast at what they do and that is what matters there really.

When we first got the NCR registers, I tried using Merch Locate. The register crashed. I haven't used it since.

That's when I use the target app on my phone to find the dpci so I can then look it up on the PDA or register.

When we first got the NCR registers, I tried using Merch Locate. The register crashed. I haven't used it since.

They don't crash nearly as much with merch locate as they did even a year and a half ago. In fact, more often then not, they actually work properly!

That's when I use the target app on my phone to find the dpci so I can then look it up on the PDA or register.
Use a common term like 1 word, like Godzilla on item search. The target mobile is great too, try using the new samsung phone. Very fast processor.

When our store first opened we had these big color touch screen scanners at our info/spill stations around the store. They were awesome. You could search for items on them and it would give you a ton of information like item search would. We got rid of them shortly after for a reason unknown to me. Never really understood why. They were really convenient in times when you didn't have a PDA.

When our store first opened we had these big color touch screen scanners at our info/spill stations around the store. They were awesome. You could search for items on them and it would give you a ton of information like item search would. We got rid of them shortly after for a reason unknown to me. Never really understood why. They were really convenient in times when you didn't have a PDA.

The reason they were revoked was that in order to implement any software upgrades to the unit, you had to physically un-mount the unit and update via a SD Card slot that was located on the back of the device. Which meant that doing upgrades remotely via network wasn't an option, and in the end wasn't an ideal scenario to be in.

Let's just say there's a new project in the pipeline to eventually replace all the PCT2 scanners...

Walmart's price scanners apparently have all kinds of additional functionality when associates scan their badge. The one I see used most often is near the registers and cashiers will scan to get their lane assignment. When I go to the 24-hour one I always hear the overnight manager on the PA saying for so and so to "sign in to their next activity".

I already use my iPad in electronics for more things than my PDA, can't wait for smart devices :)

Back