MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

What is redwire exactly?

I want to say that that Walmart uses a system similar to this. Cashiers get their lane assignments from a price scanner, etc... When shopping at the one near my house during the overnight shift I kept hearing over the PA "So and so, please sign into your next task."

That would be quite interesting. So, they are trying to take even more control away from TL's?

That would be quite interesting. So, they are trying to take even more control away from TL's?

If it wasn't for the fact that I come in at 4AM at least one day a week I would never see my TL! I'm semi-autonomous since I'll come in on my comp days, clock in, and walk right back out the door without talking to anyone (unless they are in TSC or I encounter them on my way to the door).

- Guest walks into store, browses over women's clothing
- Can't find a particular size over in softlines
- Pulls out their phone and loads the Target.com App which has been enhanced even further
- The Target.com App notices it is connected to the Guest Wifi and recognizes which store it is in
- Offers guest several options on another menu for guest assistance
- Guest selects to page for assistance and is routed via Target.com App to the store server
- Redwire picks it up and sends out an alert to all Salesfloor TM's iPod's that assistance is needed over in Softlines

or

- Guest selects to message/text TM's for assistance and ask them a question via Redwire instead
Right now, the only people in SL at my store that get PDAs are people who are doing POGs or printing things. I can see this backfiring badly within SL at the very least. Besides, my store is so large that "Guest needs assistance in women's clothing" could take up to fifteen minutes to track down, especially with the obliviousness I have witnessed in people dicking around with their phones.
Me: "Can I help you find something?"
Guest: *stares down at phone* *begins typing a text*
Me: "Ok, well, if you need anything, feel free to ask!" *asks several more guests and then goes back to task*
-5 minutes later-
Guest: "This is so stupid! I sent that Target message thing more than ten minutes ago!" *storms out without buying anything*

It could work well, but I am having a hard time being optimistic about anything that Target is putting out right now, between MyTime and the systems crash that appeared to happen because of an update.

My question is will we even get those alerts? Anyone with an LPDA knows that you are randomly logged out of alerts from anywhere within 30 seconds to 30 minutes of logging in. And most of the time it doesn't tell you, so you could run half a shift before realizing there's an issue. Is this going to be any different?

- Guest walks into store, browses over women's clothing
- Can't find a particular size over in softlines
- Pulls out their phone and loads the Target.com App which has been enhanced even further
- The Target.com App notices it is connected to the Guest Wifi and recognizes which store it is in
- Offers guest several options on another menu for guest assistance
- Guest selects to page for assistance and is routed via Target.com App to the store server
- Redwire picks it up and sends out an alert to all Salesfloor TM's iPod's that assistance is needed over in Softlines
or
- Guest selects to message/text TM's for assistance and ask them a question via Redwire instead
The alerts are on the new iPods touches.

I believe what RG was wondering was if the ipod touches would connect to the same alert system the LPDAs use, since there are known issues with them staying connected.

Will the current PDA alerts be phased out and all alerts go to redwire? Also does this guest alerts have anything to do with sales force?

You know, reading all this and everything within the past few months, I think corporate is rolling out too many things too soon in too little an amount of time. I know they want this cool technology, but new scheduling, new devices, new apps, a new store structure, etc in the span of a year is a little bit too much.

I guarantee there are going to be MAJOR problems when all this rolls out in the fall. And I'm saying that because of their track record.

My question is will we even get those alerts? Anyone with an LPDA knows that you are randomly logged out of alerts from anywhere within 30 seconds to 30 minutes of logging in. And most of the time it doesn't tell you, so you could run half a shift before realizing there's an issue. Is this going to be any different?

The iPod will have an integrated alert application ported over with Redwire and will function like the current alert system. The iPod's are currently setup where you have to remember to manually log off them; they will remain logged in for the duration of your shift.

Will the current PDA alerts be phased out and all alerts go to redwire? Also does this guest alerts have anything to do with sales force?

PDA/LPDA alerts will be eventually phased out and then go dark. At that point, the remaining MC9200's (MC70/LPDA's will be recalled eventually) in the stores will not receive alerts, only the iPod's will. Guest Alerts will be tasked upon workcenter roles, so TM's logged in as a Salesfloor TM will be the primary receiver of alerts for guest assistance.

Anyone seen a rollout schedule for these? And are the iPods for the whole team or mainly just the salesfloor?

Priority for the iPods is supposed to be for those who most frequently interact with guests (all ETLs/TLs, Sales Floor TMs, GSAs, Electronics, etc.)

Our current PDAs will still work and should be designated to the 'task' workcenters (Backroom, POG, Instocks, PA, etc.)

Our STL put in an expedite for our batch and tells me they're supposed to arrive before the end of June, so we can get familiar with them before BTS season gets here.

How did he do that? My STL is willing but has no earthly idea how.

I was reading some info on Workbench today about these "wonderful" devices and it seems like they are working to have everything except for "backroom specific" (STO, QMOS, and some other stuff I don't know about) and it appears that price change will be moved to a graphical app vs. RF. Can't wait to see how that goes...

I was reading some info on Workbench today about these "wonderful" devices and it seems like they are working to have everything except for "backroom specific" (STO, QMOS, and some other stuff I don't know about) and it appears that price change will be moved to a graphical app vs. RF. Can't wait to see how that goes...
Correct. The MC9200's are being kept around for task-based workcenters. The MyDevices are designed for salesfloor and helping guests. The idea is that we'll be able to demonstrate the Target app and cartwheel to our guests along with all of the cool new iPod features. I'm hoping Target is going to allow using the built in keyboard because it's so much easier to type with than the screens on the LPDAs. Eventually, all apps will be re-written to be graphical so that target can retire RF apps.

No real info to provide here, other than a talk I had with my STL about it. She told me we should have them in our store sometime this fall. Gotta say, I'm looking forward to it. Equipment has always been an issue in our store, so I'm hoping this gives us more to work with. Nothing like trying to do your job without a PDA/LPDA.

I'm confused about My FA. If 9200's won't receive alerts and Mydevices can't be used to STO, will I have to carry 2 devices?

Back