MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

I noticed at my Home Depot, some of their employees carry a small ruggid phone/PDA type device.

Why can't the registers be able to item search other store's stock more efficiently? I can find an item but only if I already have the dpci already, why can't I type in words to find the dpci like on the pda item search? But the register are fast at what they do and that is what matters there really.
That's when I use the target app on my phone to find the dpci so I can then look it up on the PDA or register.
Use a common term like 1 word, like Godzilla on item search. The target mobile is great too, try using the new samsung phone. Very fast processor.

@go ahead was talking about Merch Locate on the registers. It only allows you to search by DPCI or UPC. As a cashier, one's only option would be to ask the GSTL to search on their LPDA if they don't have a smartphone.

I noticed at my Home Depot, some of their employees carry a small ruggid phone/PDA type device.
My local HD uses these as well. They were using the same hardware as our LPDAs for a while with phone capability but the things they have now are quite intuitive for what they are. Many of us on the floor really only need item lookup functionality for push and reshop, and these would do the trick.

As for the new equipment, I'm happy to see the MC70s go. I wish I could throw my MC50 (comp shop) into a wood chipper. From what I've read it looks like the 9200s will replace all of the current PDAs (anything we send out gets replaced with one these days) and the LPDA fleet will be replaced with the iPods. It would be nice to see more TMs on the floor with equipment, and hopefully this is the trick.

Okay, so we still have the 9200s? I guess I'm okay with that, but the touchscreens on those are terrible, even after calibrating them.

Okay, so we still have the 9200s? I guess I'm okay with that, but the touchscreens on those are terrible, even after calibrating them.

Feedback?

- Is accuracy on the screen poor?
- Is touch responsibility slow/lagging?
- Is haptic feedback non-responsive?
- Does it occur in RFAPP's or WebApps?
- What applications are you experiencing issues with the touchscreen?
- Was the device just cold-booted or operating for an extended period of time?
- Does the device show signs of physical damage?
- Does the device has a screen protector on it?
- Was the screen cleaned with a chemical based product?

- OR -

Are you referring to having to Double-Tap in WebApp's? That's on the list for being fixed in a future patch.

I love the 9200's. Couple of issues I've had with them

- On certain ones (like two or three of the ones we have) when you push any button it sporadically types a bunch of gibberish like "z38&ih"
- Every so often (like once every 60 or 70 scans) the scanner/led will get stuck on for like 3 or 4 seconds, it scans/beeps, then it takes 10 seconds or more to pull up the info.

Even with these problems I still try to grab one. The crosshair is amazing. Being able to scan with the gun at any angle makes it so much easier. I'm looking forward to seeing how the iTouches work, maybe I'll even snag one for the day :p (if the STL doesn't lock them all in her office first).

- On certain ones (like two or three of the ones we have) when you push any button it sporadically types a bunch of gibberish like "z38&ih"
- Every so often (like once every 60 or 70 scans) the scanner/led will get stuck on for like 3 or 4 seconds, it scans/beeps, then it takes 10 seconds or more to pull up the info.
Had the first problem happen to one of ours, don't recall what model it was, they eventually after about 2 months of begging sent it out to be exorcised of what ever demon took up residence. Still think it's built up debris under the keypad.

the second one well I think it's just a combination of shat equipment and programming. Or demons or both.

Even with these problems I still try to grab one. The crosshair is amazing. Being able to scan with the gun at any angle makes it so much easier. I'm looking forward to seeing how the iTouches work, maybe I'll even snag one for the day :p (if the STL doesn't lock them all in her office first).

The random keys is the #1 complaint, and here's the breakdown of what was discovered: Back in 2012, Motorola knew of an issue on the keypads that when the backlight was turned on (the blue glow lighting up the keys), there was a shortage in the circuits that would cause this. Sometimes it would happen right away when the device was brand new, other times it would happen after a period of time of use when breaking in the device and the backlight would slowly burn in and eventually fail (you may have noticed a lot of backlights have stopped working or severely dimmed in brightness.) Even with the backlight "off" (even though it was still on) the problem would persist. They assured us that it would be fixed with the next production version and that the issue would no longer be present.

They lied.

So now their engineers are actively working on a fix for a new keypad. What does that mean for us? Eventually all the "demonic" devices will have to have the new keypad retro-fitted in the future, how it will proceed hasn't been decided yet (either sent CompuCom techs out to each store to do it or slowly phase them over as people continue to send them into the DRC.) This is one of the reasons why the MC9090 still hasn't been phased out yet due to current production/inventory issues of the new devices.

There is a simple solution in the meantime if you run across a device behaving like this: Turn off the keypad backlight (Blue Func button + X). Even if the backlight looks like it is off, it's still "ON" in the settings so you'll need to do the key combo to fully disable it. (The backlights will be disabled automatically next patch so you won't have to worry constantly doing this.)

In regards to that the PDA "freezing" in 30 minute intervals, it's a security script application of some sort running in the background ensuring the device has the correct properties and for some reason sucks all the system resources away from Windows 7CE. And I agree, it's annoying and hopefully will be fixed. But demonic keypads first.

Last edited:
Feedback?

- Is accuracy on the screen poor?
- Is touch responsibility slow/lagging?
- Is haptic feedback non-responsive?
- Does it occur in RFAPP's or WebApps?
- What applications are you experiencing issues with the touchscreen?
- Was the device just cold-booted or operating for an extended period of time?
- Does the device show signs of physical damage?
- Does the device has a screen protector on it?
- Was the screen cleaned with a chemical based product?

- OR -

Are you referring to having to Double-Tap in WebApp's? That's on the list for being fixed in a future patch.

For the 9200s, my problems are accuracy even after calibration, the touch is slow.

No screen protectors, but the older PDAs we've had are much better with response on the touch screen ever without a screen protector.

Part of the problem is in WebApps yes.

Thank you! I'm banging on the screen 6 times with a stylus until it will finally go onto any app.

Does anybody know about the new Target iTouches for TMs? Are they based off of iOS? What is the difference between regular iPod touches and the Target ones or is there any difference? Just curious.
They are amazing. They are on ios they pretty much let u check inyour store much easier than pdas. They have the website, and surveys built in. They are a lifesaver in electronics. I was lucky to be in a beta test store

Anyone seen a rollout schedule for these? And are the iPods for the whole team or mainly just the salesfloor?

I'm excited for this technology as I see this being a step in the right direction. These devices have so much more potential than our current fleet of PDAs and LPDAs. Sad that we recently upgraded to the MC9090s less than a year ago just to end up replacing them.

A great idea for an instore app for these would be access to online planogram. POG team could reference online when they're setting, auditing would be easier, you could look up part numbers on the spot, less paper. Basically an the same thing an MSA did, but it actually works. A guy can dream, right?

The last I was told was to expect them by Sept. My dream? I want a headset & mic so I can take guest calls on the run. I also want a device (maybe a mini iPad?) so I can help guests order something on the spot. (Sorry!) I often find myself alone on the SF so the headset would be wonderful.

My store should be getting in its first batch the first week of July. While corporate likes to say they will be great on the sales floor and etc, I can almost bet they will be the replacements of the ETL/TL LPDA's at first, so regular team members, like Hardlines might not be using them right away.

My GE didn't give a timeframe, but he told us our store would be getting them in the future, so we need to get back on track with equipment control.

Anyone seen a rollout schedule for these? And are the iPods for the whole team or mainly just the salesfloor?

Priority for the iPods is supposed to be for those who most frequently interact with guests (all ETLs/TLs, Sales Floor TMs, GSAs, Electronics, etc.)

Our current PDAs will still work and should be designated to the 'task' workcenters (Backroom, POG, Instocks, PA, etc.)

Our STL put in an expedite for our batch and tells me they're supposed to arrive before the end of June, so we can get familiar with them before BTS season gets here.

Full roll-out is planned August/September, so we'll be moving very quickly from pilot to release. The number of devices you receive will be based upon your store volume, so lower volumes can expect around 20, medium-medium high should see 30 and high volume will see 40. In no way once we go into release is the application itself done, as Redwire is expected only grow more and handle even more tasks.

I don't suppose you want a sample scenario of what myDevice and Redwire can do together that is actually developed and near-ready for client use, do you?

Last edited:
Full roll-out is planned August/September, so we'll be moving very quickly from pilot to release. The number of devices you receive will be based upon your store volume, so lower volumes can expect around 20, medium-medium high should see 30 and high volume will see 40. In no way once we go into release is the application itself done, as Redwire is expected only grow more and handle even more tasks.

I don't suppose you want a sample scenario of what myDevice and Redwire can do together that is actually developed and near-ready for client use, do you?

I noticed that after the summer update the redwire icon appeared on the pdas but it's not active, what exactly is redwire?

What is mydevice?

What is mydevice?

Mydevice is the name spot gave to the ipods

I noticed that after the summer update the redwire icon appeared on the pdas but it's not active, what exactly is redwire?
Red wire answer:
Hopefully they give us all more MC9200 PDA's which are MUCH quicker at handling the graphical based info on the PDA's. Otherwise web apps will result in TM's just getting more and more frustrated with a fractured PDA system. Kinda like back in the days when we had Network, Host, ISIS, and Workbench - you had to remember where in the hell the report you wanted was located!!!

And on that note, who else has the Redwire app??? The one used to assign tasks to individuals and allow leaders to follow up , create tasks, and delegate tasks to others with completion deadlines. It is VERY cumbersome to use, and to change task status you have to go through too many menus. Also, don't forget to log out of it when you are done with your PDA for the day as your PDA logout does not log you out from Redwire, so others can see your tasks, create tasks under your name or cause general havoc - i.e. create a task called Kiss your ETL's ass under your name and assign the task to someone else to complete. Watch out for this people!

Yes please @Sarakiel!

Anyone else notice the pack and ship app and the pack and ship training app showed up with the summer update too? They're not functional yet (same with redwire), but they're out there ready to be deployed it seems.

- Guest walks into store, browses over women's clothing
- Can't find a particular size over in softlines
- Pulls out their phone and loads the Target.com App which has been enhanced even further
- The Target.com App notices it is connected to the Guest Wifi and recognizes which store it is in
- Offers guest several options on another menu for guest assistance
- Guest selects to page for assistance and is routed via Target.com App to the store server
- Redwire picks it up and sends out an alert to all Salesfloor TM's iPod's that assistance is needed over in Softlines

or

- Guest selects to message/text TM's for assistance and ask them a question via Redwire instead

Hmm...sounds intriguing. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Back