MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Love the number pad!

Happy to see some of the "activation" fixes for pchg that were most needed.

Huge huge thanks for the scanning queue added (in addition to printer queue, as before). It's a great improvement especially in auto print mode in softlines.

One problem with scan queue I noticed, however - if you scan faster than the 'activate' tone can finish, you can activate and print the next ticket without any audible notification. This causes problems, of course, since we mostly go by the audible cues on pchg. And if we are going to rely on the scan queue, we need the audible cue to know our scan has "registered".

Since we're still having to wait for the whole activate tone to finish before scanning next item, it doesn't save as much time as it could.

To fix this, either the new tone needs to "bite off" the currently playing tone, or they need to play at the same time.

Edit: never used cue and queue as many times together. ahem... Q. :)

Last edited:
If I use a LPDA holster, my MyDevice falls out too easily. The only problem I have with the MyDevice holsters is that the black leather coating on the clip leaves stains on whatever I clip it to, i.e. my belt or pants pocket.
Really? Mine has never fallen out since we got the iPod's last October.

Not seeing the number pad on ours yet :( Is it a version newer than '32.4'? (I think that's what we have any)

The rollout of this update was delayed about a week. We were supposed to have gotten it last week but it hit this past Tuesday.

It completely broke a few of our devices that missed the last iOS update. This version of MyWork needs iOS v8.xx to work. Any device with v7.14 will have to be sent out.

Not seeing the number pad on ours yet :( Is it a version newer than '32.4'? (I think that's what we have any)

The button for it should be next to the search button in the top right corner. It's a 3x3 group of squares.

After our most recent update, the bottom half of the screen got cut off in MyWork. Now you have to scroll within the top half to see anything and it's a pain in the ass. Anyone else have this problem?

The button for it should be next to the search button in the top right corner. It's a 3x3 group of squares.

After our most recent update, the bottom half of the screen got cut off in MyWork. Now you have to scroll within the top half to see anything and it's a pain in the ass. Anyone else have this problem?

It's happened to me twice. I just force close the MyWork app and reopen it.

I've come across this situation on Instocks recently. Scanning RIGs once in a while I find the item, scan it, and it brings up the regular item information screen, not the research screen. It's as if I had scanned the wrong item. It even happens if I type in the DPCI it's looking for. Anyone know what the problem/solution is?

I did some testing this week and found that placing a thin piece of foam on either side of the sled's battery greatly reduces the number of times the sled disconnects. This morning, my mydevice stopped scanning 30 minutes in and after doing the tweak, I didn't have a single problem for the rest of my shift.

If you've kept hold of this particular sled ...how's this experiment going? Do we need to find thousands of foam bits to fix the scanner?

We have a great issue with the sled batteries getting full charges and staying charged throughout the day. If only they gave me time to do something about that...

Let me know your thoughts when you get the new rev of myWork ...there's a change in there that should help (many actually). Better/worse/beat it with hammer?

Let me know your thoughts when you get the new rev of myWork ...there's a change in there that should help (many actually). Better/worse/beat it with hammer?
I do not believe our issues are software-related, but rather hardware.

We are having a difficult time getting most of our MyDevices to charge. I personally attribute it to bad docking stations. Most spots on the docks will not charge a MyDevice unless we push down on the right side really hard, but will come back up once we let go. Some of our MyDevices will not charge through the sled at all.

I have started to place my known-to-be-working-fine MyDevice on the registry charging dock behind Guest Services when I am not using it. It makes contact just fine and charges without any problems.

My STL was fed up enough with our issues that they sent a quarter of our MyDevices in for repair and plan to do another quarter once those come back. They have also requested an order of new docks based on the recommendations of two digital advisers and our ETL.

If you've kept hold of this particular sled ...how's this experiment going? Do we need to find thousands of foam bits to fix the scanner?
I'll have to check the logs to see what devices we still have vs the ones I tweaked. I know several were just sent out for various reasons. It appears that whether or not the tweak works varies from device to device. With my most recent attempt, the sled disconnects on slight bumps (occasionally when sliding it into the holster) but reconnects almost immediately. Which is a ton better than the sled not connecting at all.
The foam I've been using is just some scrap I found laying on the SF. It's about 2mm thick (likely packing material for some kind of home decor) and I just use a 2cm square or two under the battery to make sure the contacts meet effectively. On some devices, I put a piece between the iPod and battery door but I can't tell if it's even effective.

I'm guessing you're our new liaison?

Latest rev of MyWork is great. They 10-key is great, but my favorite discovery thus far is that it now prompts you whether or not to create a batch when tying POGs. It was annoying having to grab a PDA to relocate a POG or fix a plano mistake.

Though I've just realize we probably needed to update the SFQs on the POG when we moved an endcap today...

Can't remember 100%, but I believe the shopping bag symbol means sold on Target.com and the building system means in-store only.

EDIT: Oh, and if you didn't realize it, when you scan an item it will show a Cartwheel symbol if the item is currently on Cartwheel. I don't think it tells you the price, but I try and scan a shelf label if someone picks up a high value item on the chance they might be able to get a % off with Cartwheel.

If an item is available online, it says "sold in stores and online" or something like that below the item description. The shopping bag symbol was near the price, right where the cart symbol would be for an item that's on Cartwheel.

If an item is available online, it says "sold in stores and online" or something like that below the item description. The shopping bag symbol was near the price, right where the cart symbol would be for an item that's on Cartwheel.
Could be an ad item. I don't just mean something on sale, but an item that is specifically listed in the ad.

We haven't gotten the 10 key update on our myDevices yet, but I can't wait to get it. There are a few other things I've learned that are hella annoying tho. Like in the menu where you select which work center you're in. When I touch Pricing and I happen to be working in softlines and have to hit the little "i" button to make it auto-print clearance labels. That little "i" button always takes me about 8 tries to actually bring up the menu because the button for it is so tiny. The other super frustration is when we have a LOT of salvage items and we touch the salvage button and then for whatever reason it brings up a menu with three buttons and we have to hit salvage again for it to go through. If you don't hit salvage the second time, even though it will keep scanning, it wont pull anything else up until you do. Having to hit it a second time is super annoying when we are doing it for a million and a half items and the device is feeling sluggish. An auto salvage setting would be the shit, but I can understand why that probably isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
This isn't really about the mydevice, but the printers. Is there a reason they're on an 802.11b network? I mean, I understand they don't really need fastest of data transfer speeds, but I have so many issues with the printers not staying connected as I move around a section. Would it not be simpler for the mydevice connected to it, to connect via Bluetooth or an ad hoc network of sorts? Just seems silly for them to require being connected to a network when only one printer can be used per device anyway.

@Red Buffalo The portable printers are an older variety and use the legacy 802.11b network protocol since it's what they're compatible with. They are most likely not bluetooth or ad-hoc compatible. The MyDevices could do bluetooth, but I don't think they would do AdHoc WiFi very well since IOS devices can only associate with one Wireless device at a time.

Target would need newer models to do what you're talking about. Honestly I liked the printers Target had -- they were reliable and very easy for me to setup/troubleshoot.

It's probably just the simplest option. I don't know if the PDAs have Bluetooth capabilities, or how the registers can connect to them, but wifi does seem like the easiest route.

This isn't really about the mydevice, but the printers. Is there a reason they're on an 802.11b network? I mean, I understand they don't really need fastest of data transfer speeds, but I have so many issues with the printers not staying connected as I move around a section. Would it not be simpler for the mydevice connected to it, to connect via Bluetooth or an ad hoc network of sorts? Just seems silly for them to require being connected to a network when only one printer can be used per device anyway.

Bluetooth would also drain batteries fast than they do now..

Back