Archived Target New Cashier Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got hired on part time as a cashier and I have orientation tomorrow. I have been doing quite a bit of reading on policy and how to use the cash register, but I still have some questions if anyone is willing to answer them for me. From what it seems I shouldn't expect too much from training, but the people on this site are helpful! :)

Is it alright if I take a notebook to orientation tomorrow and take notes? I've been a very organized student for a long time, and I know taking notes really helps me learn things quickly - but I don't want to do something I shouldn't.

Does this manual contain correct information about the cash register? Its really short and doesn't contain that much information, but I still like to have it at home to glance over before I jump in.

For dress code - looked like it varies a bit based on store. How would your store feel about the following: I see solid color pants (preferably khaki) is policy - but do they care what color khaki? Does it have to be dressier khaki pants or is something like this OK?
Can you wear darker red? I don't really like bright red, but of course I don't mind buying a couple things. But I don't want to own a ton of tops I will never wear again. Is this OK?
How about this one?
Skirts are allowed - also khaki preferred? And how do they feel at your store about carpi pants?

Also, how long in advance do they set the schedule?

What I am most worried about for cashiering is people trying to trick me into taking fake coupons/making me lose money for the company. Is there a way to be sure the coupon is real without wasting so much time your score is poor?

Sorry about such a long post, but I really do appreciate any help!

Have a nice night!

The manual is just like the training: short, leaving you wanting to know more.
You shouldn't be taking that home as it is considered working off the clock, a term-able offense.

The pants look okay but it's going to depend on your store's leadership in terms of fine-tuning dress code.
The first top looks ok but the second one is going into the maroon spectrum IMHO.
Skirts & capris depend on your leadership.

You should receive a training schedule to carry you over to when you start appearing on the schedule boards.
Generally there are three binders posted: this week, next week & the following week which usually posts 10 days out (Thursdays).

Your GSTL (guest service team leader) will have you train on a register by yourself while going thru your booklet cited earlier. Later they SHOULD pair you up with an experienced cashier who should be able to show you things like how to spot fake coupons & the like.
As a newbie, scammers will head to you hoping to take advantage of your lack of experience but you can always flip on your blinker to call for help. NEVER let a guest bully you, tell you what to do or what you 'should' do.

Good luck.

Welcome! @redeye58 basically nailed everything on the head. ASANTS, so your store leaders may have fine tuned their dress code. At my store, you can get away with maroon tops when cashiering, and you can wear skirts or capris; only the Cart Attendant can wear shorts.

Something I do want to emphasize is how aware you should be of coupon fraud, and excessive prepaid card-esque purchases. If you're still new and cashiering alone, you will probably at some point get a guest with a thick stack of coupons, or a guest with sketchy/identical/redundant coupons. If you get this and it seems weird, suspend the transaction and turn on your blinkie! Those coupons may be fine, but I tell cashiers I want to witness transactions like that. Same thing goes for prepaid card purchases; if its weird or unreasonable, hit your blinkie. Be sure you know your coupon policies, prepaid purchase policies, and you should be golden! :) Hope I haven't scared you or anything!

Also... REDcards.

Thank you both! I have had two cashiering days and its been going really well. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have resources like this to ask questions on. Thanks!

I was hired as a part time cashier less than a month ago, I just finished my third week of work. I noticed on the new schedule that I have Service Desk training coming up. I'm not against doing this, but no one talked to me about it, nor told me that I would be doing this in my interview. I am happy to expand my skill set, but I am curious as to why I am doing this.

Is this an extension of my cashier training? Do all cashiers have to do this? If not why would I be learning this less than a month in? I've only noticed two other cashiers ever working the service desk, and only when it is busy, otherwise it is one of our GSTL.

I think that I've been doing alright so far - I usually get at least one Red Cards when I work (which seem to amount to about same as most of the other cashiers I work with), I've made no major mistakes, and my checker speed is steadily improving (I started a bit slow week one a. I do worry I ask too many questions/ask for help on things, but no one seems annoyed or bothered by the questions I ask. I have gotten along with everyone really well, I think. But this does make me wonder if I have been doing poorly as a cashier so they want to move me to a different job?

Last edited:
Do all cashiers get cross trained for guest service desk? Do they typically have you cross train without asking you?

So I've been working for a few weeks now and I'm pretty happy with my work. I like being a cashier - and I haven't done too badly. I get at least one red card most days and my speed is steadily improving. I worry I ask a few too many questions a day, but no one seems frustrated or annoying.
I just noticed I'm training on the service desk in a couple weeks. No one talked to me about doing this, nor did I know this would be part of my job when I was hired. I'm not against it, I just didn't know it would happen. Is this part of all cashiers training? If not why would I be learning this after only a month in?

They're cross training you in customer service. Your store may do that and not ask people. You may like CS a little better because it doesn't get as busy as cashier.

Many stores will cross train cashiers for other front end positions - service desk, photo lab, carts, etc.
It makes you more valuable as a store asset which will come in handy after the holidays when hrs are cut to the bone.

The pants/shirts you posted would be acceptable in our store. At the store I work at, not every cashier gets trained to work at the Guest Service desk. Only the ones who are quick learners. At my store it would mean you are awesome and are NOT doing poorly :). I started as a cashier and was trained at the Guest Service Desk two weeks after I started working for Target. 95% of my shifts are at the GS Desk, I love working at the GS desk. Let them fully train you at the GS Desk because that means hours. When we have no payroll hours I always stay above 30 hours while cashiers drop as low as 12-16. Take any chance they offer you to cross train.

It's a good sign that they are training you for service desk. They look for people who are smart and have a good attitude to work there. I started as a cashier, was cross trained to guest service, and then was promoted.
At service desk, you will see a lot, and I mean A LOT of suspicious activity. People returning items bought with coupons for cash, people returning small high value items without receipts, people claiming that they opened their box to find a missing/broken product, people returning a high value item bought the same day at a different target, people returning items with receipts they picked out of the trash, etc, etc. Rely on your judgement and when in doubt, get a second opinion.
You will also have to deal with angry guests at the service desk. Learn not to take it personally. Smile, do what you can for them, and call a GSA/GSTL if you need to.

Also, please never worry about asking too many questions. I would rather cashiers ask a million questions to inform themselves than just assume and end up doing things the wrong way. It sounds like you're doing great so far. Good luck!

It's a good sign that they are training you for service desk. They look for people who are smart and have a good attitude to work there. I started as a cashier, was cross trained to guest service, and then was promoted.
At service desk, you will see a lot, and I mean A LOT of suspicious activity. People returning items bought with coupons for cash, people returning small high value items without receipts, people claiming that they opened their box to find a missing/broken product, people returning a high value item bought the same day at a different target, people returning items with receipts they picked out of the trash, etc, etc. Rely on your judgement and when in doubt, get a second opinion.
You will also have to deal with angry guests at the service desk. Learn not to take it personally. Smile, do what you can for them, and call a GSA/GSTL if you need to.

Also, please never worry about asking too many questions. I would rather cashiers ask a million questions to inform themselves than just assume and end up doing things the wrong way. It sounds like you're doing great so far. Good luck!

Yes, lots of suspicious activity! All of what sunshineyellow said and fake receipts. After a little while you will get a good feeling about who is going to try to pull of a scam. Before you even talk to the "guest" approaching the service desk you will start sensing that that person will tell you , oh it was a gift. I lost my receipt, my debit card was stolen, my wallet was stolen etc.
Of course not all guests are scammers, you will encounter lots of nice guests and it can be easy to get red cards at the service desk because you have guests who walk up and ask to sign up :D.

Yes, lots of suspicious activity! All of what sunshineyellow said and fake receipts. After a little while you will get a good feeling about who is going to try to pull of a scam. Before you even talk to the "guest" approaching the service desk you will start sensing that that person will tell you , oh it was a gift. I lost my receipt, my debit card was stolen, my wallet was stolen etc.
Of course not all guests are scammers, you will encounter lots of nice guests and it can be easy to get red cards at the service desk because you have guests who walk up and ask to sign up :D.
Lol I always love the people who plop whitening strips, face cream, or various other HBA items down on the counter and claim they received it as a gift. Who buys $40 eye cream for a friend?
If there's ever a fishy transaction, but you have no plausible reason to deny the return, you can always go ahead and process it, then reprint the receipt and pass it along to AP. Sometimes it even seems better that way, because then they can build up a case against the perp.
What's nice about guest service is there is a lot more variety in the work you do than at the cash register. I find the days pass more quickly at guest service.

Lol I always love the people who plop whitening strips, face cream, or various other HBA items down on the counter and claim they received it as a gift. Who buys $40 eye cream for a friend?
If there's ever a fishy transaction, but you have no plausible reason to deny the return, you can always go ahead and process it, then reprint the receipt and pass it along to AP. Sometimes it even seems better that way, because then they can build up a case against the perp.
What's nice about guest service is there is a lot more variety in the work you do than at the cash register. I find the days pass more quickly at guest service.

We don't allow HBA returns without the receipt anymore. Coupon scammers tried using gift receipts but we do not accept them. Some of the scammers haven't gotten that memo yet and it feels good to tell them NO! We know they buy the items with coupons and get a gift card for buying the items and try to return them for full value. As a regular TM I can not re-print a receipt, it requires the approval from the GSTL/GSA or any other TL but they always have my back when a return doesn't feel right.
Sunshineyellow, how to you like the GSA position? My STL approached me today and asked if I would be interested in a GSA position if one opened up. One of our GSA's is considering moving in the summer and my STL would like me to take it if the GSA leaves.

We don't allow HBA returns without the receipt anymore. Coupon scammers tried using gift receipts but we do not accept them. Some of the scammers haven't gotten that memo yet and it feels good to tell them NO! We know they buy the items with coupons and get a gift card for buying the items and try to return them for full value. As a regular TM I can not re-print a receipt, it requires the approval from the GSTL/GSA or any other TL but they always have my back when a return doesn't feel right.
Sunshineyellow, how to you like the GSA position? My STL approached me today and asked if I would be interested in a GSA position if one opened up. One of our GSA's is considering moving in the summer and my STL would like me to take it if the GSA leaves.
We have the same policy regarding HBA now, though we go ahead and do it if they have just one or two low value items.
Personally I like being GSA. I haven't been doing it for long but I enjoy the variety and challenge it presents. It's also nice to be able to have just a little bit of authority. :p There definitely is a lot more stress versus just being a cashier/gstm, as the performance of the whole front end falls on your shoulders. You also have to feel comfortable making those tough judgement calls and be confident doing so, otherwise people won't take you seriously when you tell them you are the manager. It is definitely an underpaid position, but it's a good stepping stone if you're interested in being a GSTL. If you are, I would suggest offering to cover your GSA/GSTL's breaks to get a taste of watching the front end.
Also there are some folks on here who have had a lot of experience as GSA. I'd recommend you'd talk to them, though I think most of them would tell you to run for the hills ;)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input - this does make me feel better about the cross training! I'm excited to learn more, but I hope that I don't make mistakes over there. The guest service desk seems like there is a lot to learn, and put up with, so the pressure would be high when you're unsure about things. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input - this does make me feel better about the cross training! I'm excited to learn more, but I hope that I don't make mistakes over there. The guest service desk seems like there is a lot to learn, and put up with, so the pressure would be high when you're unsure about things. Thanks again!

There are a few things to learn but you will do fine. Everyone makes mistakes, we are human. Even our most experienced GSA and the GSTL make a mistake on occasion. If you are ever unsure about anything, call the GSA/GSTL and they will help you. Your leadership wants you to learn the service desk for a reason. We have plenty of cashiers at my store who are always asking to be trained at the Service Desk, only a few get trained. Some people get a day or two of training but after that never get a shift at the Service Desk again. The GSTl/GSA's at my store carefully select who they want at the service desk. Sounds like it's similar at sunshineyellows store.

SD can be rough before you get comfortable, but I wouldn't go back to cashiering for anything. As long as you can be confident in your own problem solving skills and really, really know what the policies are it's a great work center.

e: About suspicious returns or coupons, trust your gut instinct. Is the person telling you all kinds of info about how the items were purchased by someone else? Do they seem anxious to be done with the transaction? Are they reluctant to scan their ID? If anything EVER feels shady or weird, partner with AP. That's what they're there for.

Last edited:
e: About suspicious returns or coupons, trust your gut instinct. Is the person telling you all kinds of info about how the items were purchased by someone else? Do they seem anxious to be done with the transaction? Are they reluctant to scan their ID? If anything EVER feels shady or weird, partner with AP. That's what they're there for.
I always say I have fraud-detecting hair. I shaved my head a few months back and started wearing wigs - and even though I've grown my hair back by now, I still wear them, because it's incredibly fun to be able to change my hair color daily. :D I have some in quite unnatural colors - blue, purple, green... and for the people returning stolen items who want to chat to distract you (sorry, I have a supernatural ability to remember your name even though you're babbling at me), they ALWAYS seize on the hair. it's to the point where if anyone talks about my hair beyond 'oh, I like that color,' I basically reach for reprint receipt automatically when they leave, haha.

actually one day I walked over in the middle of one of my GSTMs doing a fishy return. she called me over so I'd be there to authorize a reprint right away. AS SOON as I stepped behind the counter, the guest switched topics from golf (?!) to my hair. it never fails!

I always say I have fraud-detecting hair. I shaved my head a few months back and started wearing wigs - and even though I've grown my hair back by now, I still wear them, because it's incredibly fun to be able to change my hair color daily. :D I have some in quite unnatural colors - blue, purple, green... and for the people returning stolen items who want to chat to distract you (sorry, I have a supernatural ability to remember your name even though you're babbling at me), they ALWAYS seize on the hair. it's to the point where if anyone talks about my hair beyond 'oh, I like that color,' I basically reach for reprint receipt automatically when they leave, haha.

actually one day I walked over in the middle of one of my GSTMs doing a fishy return. she called me over so I'd be there to authorize a reprint right away. AS SOON as I stepped behind the counter, the guest switched topics from golf (?!) to my hair. it never fails!

100% TRUUUUE!!!! I hate this shit. It ruins fun hair! Now when someone wants to compliment my hair, I become suspicious of them

Yep, the chattier and more they compliment you, the more you need to let that go in one ear and out the other and start paying close attention. Sadly, it's so obvious most of the time. Do they really think they are fooling us?

I agree, sounds like you are doing great. If they don't have a lot of cashiers cross trained and they picked a newbie to train. It definitely means you have a lot of potential and are learning quickly, asking the right questions and doing a great job. Take advantage of the training and good luck not everybody can take it at guest service hope this helps.

So today I was asked if I wanted to work in the cash office three days a week in the mornings. I would start training for the next week. I have worked here since mid April as a cashier, and have now been trained on GS desk. I am happy to be getting trained more and to have a new position, but I don't know what to expect.
Any other cashiers on here who do this? How has it affected your hours? (As in, I will be working Fri, Sat, Sun 7:30-10:30 in the cash office, and then the rest on the floor. Will they make me leave and come back for a later shift or should I just expect to work 7:30 until the end of my shift. Do they ever make people work two separate shifts at Target?)
How do you like it? I don't really know what to expect, this is very out of my past experiences.

Also, I wanted to see if there was a guide up for it, but I wasn't sure where to look. I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything for 'Cash office.'
I know this probably isn't the place for these questions, but I will post them there when I find the correct area. I am asking here because the other person who works in the cash office at my Target is a fellow cashier, so I am making the assumption that this is typical.

Thanks again for any help!

After reading this today I became super paranoid. I had a woman distract me while I was doing a return for her to look at a video of babies on the internet. It made me immediately try to figure out if she was pulling something. She had a receipt, unopened packages, and the card she bought it with so I think she is just overly chatty, but I was still paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back