Archived Target stores open until 9pm on christmas EVE!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) according to what I read, we were always going to be open til 8pm this year, so 9 isn't much of a leap.

2) You are all going to crucify me for saying this, but I feel like you are making mountains out of molehills. And, frankly I'm slightly offended. Us Jews, we don't get any time off for our holidays. You get Christmas day off. You should be grateful for that. If a Jewish person (or any other religion for that matter) wants a day off for a holiday they have to request it unpaid, use up vacation time, or rearrange their schedule to work one of their normal days off. I find that monstrously unfair, and feel like you should be grateful for that one guaranteed day off. If you knew you had plans for xmas eve, you should have put in a request off ages ago. Even if they deny it, you would have tried. Being open an extra hour or two is no real hardship. (unlike black friday when we opened 8 hours earlier than normal).

I'm honestly more concerned with the way our payroll hours have been cut in the busiest month of the year to a skeleton crew that cannot get all the work done no matter how hard they try....

This.
Another member of the tribe, cool.
Have to find a few of my Wiccan and Muslim friends to join us and point out that at least folks get their holiday off Grata, we have use our personal time.

The real problem is guests who till very last minute & then complain about closing early. We had guests till 7:45pm last year.

So does this mean they are going to ship stores new signing for the holiday hours that have been posted on the door?

Just say no.

Just say no, I did. There will be plenty of people who volunteer. As a Christian Christmas Eve is important, we celebrate mass at 9pm every year and I'm not going to give that up for a job that wouldn't make sacrifices for me. I can already see the Target "War on Christmas" news articles now, Target should tread lightly.

1) according to what I read, we were always going to be open til 8pm this year, so 9 isn't much of a leap.

2) You are all going to crucify me for saying this, but I feel like you are making mountains out of molehills. And, frankly I'm slightly offended. Us Jews, we don't get any time off for our holidays. You get Christmas day off. You should be grateful for that. If a Jewish person (or any other religion for that matter) wants a day off for a holiday they have to request it unpaid, use up vacation time, or rearrange their schedule to work one of their normal days off. I find that monstrously unfair, and feel like you should be grateful for that one guaranteed day off. If you knew you had plans for xmas eve, you should have put in a request off ages ago. Even if they deny it, you would have tried. Being open an extra hour or two is no real hardship. (unlike black friday when we opened 8 hours earlier than normal).

I'm honestly more concerned with the way our payroll hours have been cut in the busiest month of the year to a skeleton crew that cannot get all the work done no matter how hard they try....

i totally agree with this.. while i am a christian and usually go to a christmas eve service at 6pm even if i am scheduled past that i'll just go to the later service. staying open a couple hours later isn't that big of a deal. We still have the entire day of Christmas off and being off at 9pm isn't that late.

Life. I have a degree. I have done "something else". Suffice it to say that "something else" is why I work in retail. I wish I could have your simplistic view of why people work retail, assuming that they are unmotivated, uneducated slackers that have no other options. I probably did when I was younger.

If only guests would understand this!

I can see January is gonna be full of 10 hour weeks.

Like us cashiers don't get those already...

i totally agree with this.. while i am a christian and usually go to a christmas eve service at 6pm even if i am scheduled past that i'll just go to the later service. staying open a couple hours later isn't that big of a deal. We still have the entire day of Christmas off and being off at 9pm isn't that late.

I know corporate's heart has been gradually turning to stone (Black Friday, Christmas Eve, etc.), but I'm just glad we're not open regular hours on Christmas Eve. At least they still give us that (but wait until next year...). And we get the shift differential for the evening.

Also, I don't know about your stores, but at mine I know the overnight/flow/backroom teams are not getting a day off at all. They are still going to be required to come in the night of the 24th and the 25th. The 24th we at least have the autopulls, and one of those nights we are taking a truck (unlike previous years when we didn't take a truck either day). Our store is so screwed w/ backstock that can't get done, they cannot afford to give anyone overnight a day off. (I know there's a few of you from my store on here, if i'm wrong about this please correct me).

Eh, I've worked the past two xmas and new years eves. Another few hours isn't going to kill me. I still get off for xmas day, so it's not the end of the world.

Just my opinion.

My ap team member was converted into greeter. He now just stands by the door handing out ads and gets carts for guests. He HATES it!

Its the same at my store. I'm AP, and suddenly, I've been converted into a "Fast, Fun, Friendly Ambassador." (They're really adamant about not calling us door greeters) Its like they assume I've got nothing better to do. I've worked too damned hard to get to where I am, and suddenly, I'm the equivalent of an octagenarian standing at the door at Wal-Mart.

the announced today at huddle that anyone working from 5pm-9pm will get $1 more and hour......thats a WHOLE extra $4!! woooo! :wacko2: they also said if its busy they are not supposed to close at 9pm, they can close as soon as it slows down

Our opening senior tl did not know about it either,but it was announced at the huddle,they asked for volunteers and said that the rate from 5 on would be time and a half,the add set crew for the morning of 26th will start at 1am,merry Christmas

Times are changing

Ok everyone, stores in Colorado open on Thanksgiving, we open at Midnight on Black Friday (to poor results throughout the company), now staying open til 9pm...Sad really...I agree with so many posts here that say we are out of good ideas as a Company. The work is the work, but we used to be a better Company than this. One that cares about our teams. I am at a AA volume ST and we will be extremely busy all day long...we'll have to kick people out at 9pm. Profits over Company image is not working. Many of my guests are disgusted by all of this and have and will voice their opinions. Maybe if we hadn't invested all those millions in another country and build more stores there and focus on improving the operation in the US, we'd be the "Best Company Ever"

Just me venting...:thank_you2::fool:

I guess I am wondering how this will be advertised - our store is not that busy after 9 pm any night, and I really think that on Christmas Eve, people will guess that our store is closed anyway. I just really can't see that there will be that many large purchases that would justify the cost of remaining open. It just seems desperate.

But will guests be notified in a big way?

Guests may be disgusted by Target's desperate moves but not enough to stop shopping. Only if they didn't shop would corp get the message. Don't see it happening, tho.

Last edited:
Guests may be disgusted by Target's desperate moves but not enough to stop shopping. Only if they didn't shop would corp get the message. Don't see it happening, tho.

Even the most debt-riddled guests always continue to shop. A lot of things would have to happen before guests would stop shopping, such as hell freezing over, the Buffalo Bills winning the Superbowl, the government doing something right - those sorts of things.

The point is, they'll talk the talk, but they won't walk the walk (sorta like many ETLs and corporate decision-makers...).

As an avowed atheist with no family near me, this does absolutely nothing for me. The only thing I fear is that since I've been off the past three days, I won't be able to volunteer for that shift and I'll miss out on hours.

Oh yeah, and might I point out, the Pastafarians at my store DID get Talk Like a Pirate Day off in September.

I'm an athiest as well, so the holiday has no religious connotation for me, but I do have a wife and kids who don't necessarily share my beliefs. On top of that, I grew up celebrating Christmas (not in any religious sense, mind you). I'd just like to be home just to spend the time with my family. We get so little time together, what with work schedules, and school, and things like that, that I'd love to enjoy the day (or at least the evening) with my family.

Oh yeah, and might I point out, the Pastafarians at my store DID get Talk Like a Pirate Day off in September.

Does your store give Jewish holidays off too? As a Christian, it doesn't really affect me, but it would be unfair if they didn't.

I always forget about the Church of the FSM.

As an atheist... I think that Target should respect the SECULARIZED holiday of Christmas. I would like one day off a year where everyone is off to spend with their family. I didn't get to enjoy Thanksgiving because I had to be at work at 9pm. I bet we'll be open on Easter. Just you wait. It's just corporate greed, and like everyone is saying, I doubt it will even impact anything. They're going too far.

Last edited:
Did anyone find this online yet from the press? I still can't tell if Target announced it to the media yet...It's not even on Target.com.

Also - Target is softening the blow for hourly TMs by giving an extra dollar per hour for anyone working past 5pm.

Sucks for us ETLs though.

Do you think I really care about the four extra dollars I stand to earn?... more like 2.75 after tax, seems like a real bone corporate is throwing us, I am just used to my previous employer giving us time and a half!

And they will (at least at our store) buy you pizza.
Our ETL's have been asking for volunteers and not getting many, sounding very apologetic about the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back