Archived Target stores open until 9pm on christmas EVE!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think I really care about the four extra dollars I stand to earn?... more like 2.75 after tax, seems like a real bone corporate is throwing us, I am just used to my previous employer giving us time and a half!

The point is - it's something. And in the area where my store is the extra few bucks mean a lot. Some of the employees we have volunteer to work doubles on holidays to get the extra holiday pay because they need every penny.

Bottom line is, Target is a retail business and even though this decision sucks do you think Walmart and Old Navy are begging for employees to work and giving them extra money and food? Probably not, they're most likely scheduling people and firing them if they don't want to show. Be grateful.

I guess it was nice that they started out by taking volunteers to work the later shift ---

but then I heard today if enough people didn't volunteer, they would just start scheduling team members anyway.

thanks so much for asking! not!

target never seems to advertise this stuff appropriately...

Well I get to work 1-9:30. Won't be able to enjoy dinner with my family. Oh well. Hate family dinners anyways, always drama.

I don't think we were even told about this at my store, but when I went to write down my schedule today for that week, lo and behold closers are scheduled until 10 pm that night. They didn't even ask for volunteers as far as I can tell. I'm working a mid shift that day but the closer in my area is notorious for NCNS, so I'm pretty sure I will have to stay when she doesn't show up.

Our sales increase from month to month was only 1.8% which was just terrible.

That crisis in Europe is now having a significant impact here on the States.

The point is - it's something. And in the area where my store is the extra few bucks mean a lot. Some of the employees we have volunteer to work doubles on holidays to get the extra holiday pay because they need every penny.

Bottom line is, Target is a retail business and even though this decision sucks do you think Walmart and Old Navy are begging for employees to work and giving them extra money and food? Probably not, they're most likely scheduling people and firing them if they don't want to show. Be grateful.

They should include that in the orientation.

"We will base our standards on Wal-Mart and Old Navy so that we can be one tiny iota better. So whatever they do is the bare minimum and we will try to do a little better but don't expect anything."

I'm sure the new team members will be so glad to know that. It's policies like this and their idiotic random communications that are going to drive this company into being unionized. It's entirely their fault.

As an atheist... I think that Target should respect the SECULARIZED holiday of Christmas. I would like one day off a year where everyone is off to spend with my family. I didn't get to enjoy Thanksgiving because I had to be at work at 9pm. I bet we'll be open on Easter. Just you wait. It's just corporate greed, and like everyone is saying, I doubt it will even impact anything. They're going too far.

Hopefully you have a big house...

My store didn't ask for volunteers. However only 2 people are scheduled until 930, me and the LOD. The whole salesfloor was told they would be leaving exactly when we close, no later.

Well I get to work 1-9:30. Won't be able to enjoy dinner with my family. Oh well. Hate family dinners anyways, always drama.

I have the same shift. Are you electronics? They should place you in softlines you can have mens and boys :) You think he will let me wear head to toe red again? :)

I just don't like the length I mean my family will make me a plate and I get out of cooking and cleaning up the mess...but we just have a few family traditions that I'm missing out on so it's kinda a bummer. But I got new years off so not entirely

Ok everyone, stores in Colorado open on Thanksgiving, we open at Midnight on Black Friday (to poor results throughout the company), now staying open til 9pm...Sad really...I agree with so many posts here that say we are out of good ideas as a Company. The work is the work, but we used to be a better Company than this. One that cares about our teams. I am at a AA volume ST and we will be extremely busy all day long...we'll have to kick people out at 9pm. Profits over Company image is not working. Many of my guests are disgusted by all of this and have and will voice their opinions. Maybe if we hadn't invested all those millions in another country and build more stores there and focus on improving the operation in the US, we'd be the "Best Company Ever"

Just me venting...:thank_you2::fool:

Please continue to vent. I do it all of the time.

Yeah, sadly, Target is no longer fast, fun and friendly. I don't know when it happened, but this trend has been going downhill for a few years now. Could it be Steinhafel (or whatever his name is)? Seems as though when he took over everything started to go down...morale, team member benefits, team building importance, etc. A coincidence, who knows?

By the way, I always work Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I am scheduled at 10PM Christmas Eve this year again, but I am not an LOD anymore. I used to be the only key holder to volunteer to work the "holiday eve's." But since I stepped down earlier this year, someone else has to do it.

Has anyone heard if this has been released to the public yet. All the automated messages in my area still say 8 on christmas eve?

They posted a sign for volunteers at our store. I volunteered to work til 6. Got scheduled until 5:30. I'm happy:D.

I'm cart attendant and I'm scheduled from 3:15pm-11pm on Christmas Eve :(

So, I could work Christmas Eve, no problem as I said. Didn't get scheduled. Doing 8am to 2:30pm bike building.

Spike's right. This all began after Bob retired & Gregg took over.
I miss Bob :(

Gregg has a terrible personality. Every interview with him he comes off as a sniveling little weasel that was picked on and given wedgies in school and now he's taking it out on people because he's all powerful.

Also seems like an arrogant rich *********************.

I have the same shift. Are you electronics? They should place you in softlines you can have mens and boys :) You think he will let me wear head to toe red again? :)

I just don't like the length I mean my family will make me a plate and I get out of cooking and cleaning up the mess...but we just have a few family traditions that I'm missing out on so it's kinda a bummer. But I got new years off so not entirely

Someone really wants me in softlines huh... lol. Like I said, it would be a good challenge :). Yep I am in Electronics that night. Should be fun . . . . I think head to toe in red is a great idea! That's good though, having new years off! I was so rushed in leaving I didn't even get to check my schedule for the remaining week, just wanted to see when I was scheduled for Christmas Eve.

Has anyone heard if this has been released to the public yet. All the automated messages in my area still say 8 on christmas eve?

Seriously! Corp. probably won't even advertise that we are staying open that late, so it will be a bust. I can see, at my store, being busy until like 6 ish then just dead. Maybe a rush before close, but nothing significant. I want to say that we were staying open until 8pm anyways, so its just one extra hour.

My STL went around asking for volunteers and I said yes, then they ended up scheduling me 10:15-7.

I'm working until 7:30. Its not quite close, but I still would've preferred to have worked earlier. Since I started at Target, I haven't really spent a single Christmas Eve with my family. My kids are older, so I don't really have the whole "Santa" thing to worry about, but it still would've been nice to spend more time with them the night before. Especially considering my wife is going to have to work early the day after, so she'll have to go to bed early on Christmas.

I'm a bit disappointed myself. We weren't given the option to "volunteer" for christmas eve. We weren't even allowed to take it off if we wanted to. I was told that we had to have an open availability that day. We were told we were staying open until 9 AFTER they already made the schedule. I'm scheduled 2-9:30pm on Christmas eve and they are only giving us time and a half after 5pm? This is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back