Archived Target Team Members Get Another Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when it comes time for the election of officials for your union run for office.
My wife wasn't happy with direction her union was going (teachers) locally and did just that.
It is actually a whole lot easier than you might expect.

You can also serve on the committees, like the one negotiating the contract.
That is just a matter of volunteering and they really want volunteers.
The union isn't some completely separate monolith.
It is made up of the same people you work with.

Or, we just come to terms that unions are outdated, and serve to profit off desperate retail workers.

Or, we just come to terms that unions are outdated, and serve to profit off desperate retail workers.

The only reason people think unions are outdated is because there have been billions of dollars spent to make you think that.
They are every bit as important as they once were and part of the reason that wages are stagnant is because of how much they have been devalued.
Working men and women only have organization as means of fighting the power of big business.
If you want a decent wage, good working conditions, and benefits, the union is the best option.
But you have to be active in it, not just expect it to hand you everything.

The only reason people think unions are outdated is because there have been billions of dollars spent to make you think that.
They are every bit as important as they once were and part of the reason that wages are stagnant is because of how much they have been devalued.
Working men and women only have organization as means of fighting the power of big business.
If you want a decent wage, good working conditions, and benefits, the union is the best option.
But you have to be active in it, not just expect it to hand you everything.

Yeah. It's not my first hand experience that makes me think this. It's the clever media brainwashing me. Weird how Costco can have consistent raises, hours, and safe working conditions without a union. I guess it must be untrue and I've just been tricked into thinking that.

Yeah. It's not my first hand experience that makes me think this. It's the clever media brainwashing me. Weird how Costco can have consistent raises, hours, and safe working conditions without a union. I guess it must be untrue and I've just been tricked into thinking that.

Cool. You found the retail exception to the rule.

Costco is also willing to work with unions when they want to organize.
Which shows the company has a moral compass and cares about its employees.
Something 90% of the other companies do not.

Your personal experience not withstanding, the fact is unions fought for the 40 hour week, got rid of child labor, got the minimum wage, forced the founding of Federal safety organizations like OSHA and in general helped create the more reasonable work conditions we have today.
They are the reason Target can't pay you in Target Bucks that can only be spent in Target and you have to live in Target Apartments where by the end of the month the company keeps a running tally so if you die in debt they can pass it on to your children.

My grandfather put his life on so we could have unions and it sucks that the companies have figured out how to get people to just walk away from them.
Retail is not an exception.
The IWW had it right.
One big union is the only way to win.

Costco is also willing to work with unions when they want to organize.
Which shows the company has a moral compass and cares about its employees.
Something 90% of the other companies do not.

Your personal experience not withstanding, the fact is unions fought for the 40 hour week, got rid of child labor, got the minimum wage, forced the founding of Federal safety organizations like OSHA and in general helped create the more reasonable work conditions we have today.
They are the reason Target can't pay you in Target Bucks that can only be spent in Target and you have to live in Target Apartments where by the end of the month the company keeps a running tally so if you die in debt they can pass it on to your children.

My grandfather put his life on so we could have unions and it sucks that the companies have figured out how to get people to just walk away from them.
Retail is not an exception.
The IWW had it right.
One big union is the only way to win.

Something else that's really alarming is despite unions being so great...someone like the OP has to resort to manipulation and trickery to make his committee look legit. I don't understand how that doesn't set off red flags for you.

Every year, benefits just got cut more and more. Example, they would want to cut a lot, there would be talks of strikes, and we'd fight fo maintain maybe 90% of our benefits. Every year though, were only getting 90% of what we had. I see unions in retail as a wolf in sheeps clothing. They sell you a pipe dream of the good old days, and just leech off the business and employees forever.

I think they totally have a place for someone like my uncle, who climbs telephone poles for 12 hours a day. Not in fucking retail though. Unions are just a cumbersome, unnecessary layer.

Something else that's really alarming is despite unions being so great...someone like the OP has to resort to manipulation and trickery to make his committee look legit. I don't understand how that doesn't set off red flags for you.

Every year, benefits just got cut more and more. Example, they would want to cut a lot, there would be talks of strikes, and we'd fight fo maintain maybe 90% of our benefits. Every year though, were only getting 90% of what we had. I see unions in retail as a wolf in sheeps clothing. They sell you a pipe dream of the good old days, and just leech off the business and employees forever.

I think they totally have a place for someone like my uncle, who climbs telephone poles for 12 hours a day. Not in fucking retail though. Unions are just a cumbersome, unnecessary layer.

Actually the OP is a whole other problem.
If you are going to be a union, be a frelling union.
He shouldn't dance around the word to try and make it seem like his organization is something else.
That makes him just as bad as the companies who have been telling the lies about unions.
It means he has bought into their bullshit.
He understands the purpose, not the principle.

Unions are what you want them to be.
Part of the reason unions have been cumbersome and old fashioned is because they were run by the older generations of activists.
If you want to make something sleeker that works better for you, something that will stand up for you and hit back when you need it to, get involved.

Retail companies profit off desperate retail workers. That’s why retail workers are desperate, because retail companies are boosting profits by cutting hours and benefits from their employees.

I don't have a better solution, but I'm not going to settle for a union because that's all there is.

Actually the OP is a whole other problem.
If you are going to be a union, be a frelling union.
He shouldn't dance around the word to try and make it seem like his organization is something else.
That makes him just as bad as the companies who have been telling the lies about unions.
It means he has bought into their bullshit.
He understands the purpose, not the principle.

Unions are what you want them to be.
Part of the reason unions have been cumbersome and old fashioned is because they were run by the older generations of activists.
If you want to make something sleeker that works better for you, something that will stand up for you and hit back when you need it to, get involved.

Ban op!!!!

Any involvement I'd want to do (if I were more educated and motivated) would be to focus on labor laws. I don't know enough about business to have much conviction...but to me, I think it would be practical to say of you make (x) amount of money, you cant spend less than (x%) on wages. Similar to how they decide minimum based on how many employees a business has. Whatever little ideas like that I have....why not make those laws, rather than just a bunch of unions with questionable practices.

The OP hasn't broken any of the forums rules.
Being annoying doesn't get you banned around here or there would be very light attendance.

As to changing the labor laws that is kinda hard considering who we have in office lately.
You would need a powerful political group behind you.
A group that could get their people out to vote, raise money, and support the changes you want.
That's right, we already have a group like that and they are already doing those things.

Give you a hint... it sounds like onion.
Why do you think conservative politicians hate the teachers and public employees unions?
They are some of the unions left that can actually make the kind of change you are talking about.

Labor law is a two steps forward, three steps backward thing.
You will need all the backup you can get.

Give you a hint... it sounds like onion.

I fucking knew it!
5245dc5861570.jpeg

Anyway, kudos to those who manage to keep the apathy at bay. At least labor laws are a step forward. Onions are only a step back. Just because they were relevant in 1902, doesn't mean they're relevant in 2019.

I fucking knew it!
5245dc5861570.jpeg

Anyway, kudos to those who manage to keep the apathy at bay. At least labor laws are a step forward. Onions are only a step back. Just because they were relevant in 1902, doesn't mean they're relevant in 2019.

Organize. And you can make them relevant today. Or just bitch about them and keep getting the shaft. Your choice.

Organize. And you can make them relevant today. Or just bitch about them and keep getting the shaft. Your choice.

Ooooooooor, make something better. Lol "or just bitch." Alright, fucking, didn't know I was talking to Rosa Parks here.

Uhhh Costco is unionized sir. My friend is a manager there. Not all locations are unionized but a few are. Those locations set the policy for employees throughout the company.

The non-union locations have revisions to their Costco EmployeeAgreement every three years concurrent with union contract ratifications in locations with collective bargaining agreements.

The Teamsters Union represents more than 15,000 Costco workers at 55 locations in California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia.
Costco Workers Stand Together - https://teamster.org/content/costco-workers-stand-together

Last edited:
Uhhh Costco is unionized sir. My friend is a manager there. Not all locations are unionized but a few are. Those locations set the policy for employees throughout the company.

The non-union locations have revisions to their Costco EmployeeAgreement every three years concurrent with union contract ratifications in locations with collective bargaining agreements.

The Teamsters Union represents more than 15,000 Costco workers at 55 locations in California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia.
Costco Workers Stand Together - https://teamster.org/content/costco-workers-stand-together

"Yes they are!" Immediately followed by "some of them are." Nice work.

No wonder so many of our SFS TMs quit to go to Costco.👍

They are in the sense that Costco sets its standards to the union contracts it negotiates.
The people across the country who aren't in unions benefit from that.

Let's continue to do it...without a union!

"Yes they are!" Immediately followed by "some of them are." Nice work.
Reference @commiecorvus answer. Also the quotes in your response to me are not actual quotes of what I said. You don’t have to like unions. I don’t think anyone’s trying to change anyone’s mind here. I was just simply stating that Costco does in fact set employee policy according to a union agreement.

Reference @commiecorvus answer. Also the quotes in your response to me are not actual quotes of what I said. You don’t have to like unions. I don’t think anyone’s trying to change anyone’s mind here. I was just simply stating that Costco does in fact set employee policy according to a union agreement.

I dont think anyone is really grasping the idea that a union isn't necessary to do these things, and I dont get how Costco isn't an example of this.

It's like thinking you HAVE to be married to be together forever. Okay, maybe....or...you can just be together forever, without having to be married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back