Archived Target Team Members Get Another Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have no idea what this is about can someone explain the entire issue. I don’t understand anything about this forum.

I worked in healthcare for many years before i hurt my back doing the job and was part of a union. They sucked. Maybe it was that union but they were defintely in the owner of the facility i worked at's pocket. Everytime contract negotiations came around they would hold a meeting trying to convince the employee's to take crappier & crappier deals like less of a % paid towards healthcare or less of a raise by saying its this or nothing.

I dont think retail workers need to unionize. Also i dont want to give up 2-3% to unionize when retail is not guaranteed hours unless your in management.

My union experience was 100% the same.

I worked under a union contract for 18+ years. I would strongly recommend unionizing @ Target.
Here are some reasons not to have union representation:
You enjoy having your hours change with little to no notice. With a union backing you, when they change your hours within 14 days of the posting, you will get overtime for the shift violation. They cut your hours on a whim, they still have to pay you those hours.
You like working weekends and holidays without premium pay. With a union backing you, Saturdays could be paid at 1.5X your hourly rate, Sundays and Holidays at 2X. A good contract would make holiday pay straight time plus 1.5 on top of that.

As Antennae stated above, minimum hours could be guaranteed. Provisions could also be put into the contract for the hours at which the company is required to provide benefits. It could also bargain for the product and cost of medical, dental, vision. & etc. With union backing the Company cannot screw the employees without financial repercussions.

There is a reason why a company such as Target & Walmart is against unions. The union empowers the employee and prevents the company from taking advantage of the employees.

Yeah, it really sucked for us union employees having to pay 1.5% of our pay for benefits like that.

It's not unions that suck. It's the people in the unions who can suck. Unions are what you make of them. Unions are your fellow members and YOU. Don't like what leadership is telling you? Vote them out or vote to decertify and form a different union. Don't like the deal that you are getting in negotiations? Vote to reject it.

Did you like growing up not having to work in a factory or mine before you were a teenager? Thank unions for that. They fought for it. Do you like that there is a 40 hour workweek and bosses can't make you work longer for no extra pay? Thank unions for that. Before unions went on massive strikes over the issue, the average American worker put in over 60 hours a week. Guess who came up with the idea for employer paid healthcare, vacation and sick leave? Unions. Like FMLA? Unions were the ones who pushed it through.

If that's not enough for you, as of December 2011 (I'm lazy and those are the offical Dept. of Labor Stats I could find) service industry, which includes retail, workers in unions averaged $19.83 an hour. Those not in unions averaged $10.54 an hour. But, hey Target has promised to eventually pay $15 an hour if modernization doesn't drive you out by the time they fulfill the promise. So, really, who needs a union when we have it so great at Spot?

It's not unions that suck. It's the people in the unions who can suck. Unions are what you make of them. Unions are your fellow members and YOU. Don't like what leadership is telling you? Vote them out or vote to decertify and form a different union. Don't like the deal that you are getting in negotiations? Vote to reject it.

Did you like growing up not having to work in a factory or mine before you were a teenager? Thank unions for that. They fought for it. Do you like that there is a 40 hour workweek and bosses can't make you work longer for no extra pay? Thank unions for that. Before unions went on massive strikes over the issue, the average American worker put in over 60 hours a week. Guess who came up with the idea for employer paid healthcare, vacation and sick leave? Unions. Like FMLA? Unions were the ones who pushed it through.

If that's not enough for you, as of December 2011 (I'm lazy and those are the offical Dept. of Labor Stats I could find) service industry, which includes retail, workers in unions averaged $19.83 an hour. Those not in unions averaged $10.54 an hour. But, hey Target has promised to eventually pay $15 an hour if modernization doesn't drive you out by the time they fulfill the promise. So, really, who needs a union when we have it so great at Spot?

I think this speaks to the point that those who support unions in retail, do so because they think it will be like how it was in the good old days.

Shame about not having a union here, an engine fell out of a car into the mine I was backstocking in and I got black lung from being trapped in the stockroom.

Retail doesn't need unions. Promote or find something better

Shame about not having a union here, an engine fell out of a car into the mine I was backstocking in and I got black lung from being trapped in the stockroom.

Retail doesn't need unions. Promote or find something better

I'm going to address your last statement. "Promote or find something better." If that attitude was how everyone thought, we would have zero change. Oh, don't like working in a sweatshop where they lock the doors so you can't leave. Then, when the place catches on fire, you die.

But hey, no need to change things. Promote or find something better.

What if I told you that you could have a union to guarantee hours as part of the bargaining.

Retail hours fluctuate based on payroll, right? So if I get 32 hours a week during quarter 4 and about 20 hours a week during the slow times, I am NOT getting the guaranteed 32 hours for the entire year under a bargaining agreement.

They would probably come to some average number so it evens out over the length of the fiscal year.

Unions like to paint a glorious picture of the utopia they provide. The companies like to paint a detailed version of hell if a union is allowed to come in. From my personal experience, it’s a combination of both.

Retail hours fluctuate based on payroll, right? So if I get 32 hours a week during quarter 4 and about 20 hours a week during the slow times, I am NOT getting the guaranteed 32 hours for the entire year under a bargaining agreement.

They would probably come to some average number so it evens out over the length of the fiscal year.

Unions like to paint a glorious picture of the utopia they provide. The companies like to paint a detailed version of hell if a union is allowed to come in. From my personal experience, it’s a combination of both.

This is an accurate statement.

Oh, don't like working in a sweatshop where they lock the doors so you can't leave. Then, when the place catches on fire, you die.
Didn't know retail places did this. News to me.

The union I was a part of, you were guaranteed at least 16 hours a week. Fuckin worth it.
9a6.php

It happened in the past. But, with the way I've seen our fire tunnels blocked, they might as well b ed locked. You've never heard of the Triangle Fire?
Lots of things happened in the past. How would a retail worker union solve the fire hazard issue beyond the rules Target already has in place?

Lots of things happened in the past. How would a retail worker union solve the fire hazard issue beyond the rules Target already has in place?

I'm not suggesting that. My post was in response to Phibot's post.

Unions have worker safety committees to ensure that safety rules are enforced, through OSHA if necessary.

Unions have worker safety committees to ensure that safety rules are enforced, through OSHA if necessary.
AP has a list of injury types that must be reported to OSHA. If a TM gets hurt and AP doesn't report it, I imagine that will be quite the slap on the wrist if the TM pursues some form of escalation.

What if I told you that you could have a union to guarantee hours as part of the bargaining.
Before we begin this deep discussion... I want what you're smoking. Not a lot - just enought for a good buzz. I entertain pipe dreams way better when buzzed.

AP has a list of injury types that must be reported to OSHA. If a TM gets hurt and AP doesn't report it, I imagine that will be quite the slap on the wrist if the TM pursues some form of escalation.

Oh. A slap on the wrist. Will they get their allowance taken away too?

I can report safety issues to leadership then OSHA if needed without a union.
I'm not knocking unions as a concept. They got us weekends, 8 HR days, whatnot. But I fail to see what they're realistically going to provide at target. Plus, this is all theoretical. The only store to even come close to U ionizing was conviently closed for renovations.

Also I read the article OP claimed was a win for all of us/unions. Basically the store had supposedly racist managers, so an employee complained to NLRB, and they were fired. I fail to see how a union helped in that scenario.

UPS complains about their union all the friggin time. Just google it. But then again they get excellent benefits and get paid like $32 an hour to deliver boxes.
Firefighters, Law Enforcement, UPS, Postal Service, and Electricians. Never heard any of them gather together and say “Hey, let’s get rid of this representation. I’m sure the companies will take care of us”

Those glorious manufacturing jobs everyone wants back so bad....you think they paid so well because they weren’t unionized?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back