Archived Target Team Members Get Another Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We interviewed our fellow Target team member Joseph Viramontez who is a six year veteran with mega backroom skills currently working at Target store #2320 in Dickinson, Texas. Joseph is engaging in protected concerted activity by speaking out on his team’s work conditions and what they want to see changed in-store and corporate-wide.

Joseph V: "The jobs aren’t that bad in my experience. It’s the “leadership”. They all want to be corporate pleasers vs doing the things to make the company more successful. They’re trying so hard to be the BEST everything store. They forget that happier team members work harder. Help us and we help you! We matter. We’re the biggest moving part. And if we all stopped one day then they would see. Hopefully things don’t have to go that far. We just want to be heard. We want to be taken care of."

For the full interview read here

It has been reported the mods.
The op forget this part:
However, you can lose protection by saying or doing something egregiously offensive or knowingly and maliciously false, or by publicly disparaging your employer's products or services without relating your complaints to any labor controversy.

Last edited:
Unions have worker safety committees to ensure that safety rules are enforced, through OSHA if necessary.
Hey, Target has those too. My store’s APTL is focused on safety, and tries to ensure everyone is following policy (store and OSHA, etc)AP would be a good resource to go to if stores are having safety issues.

I’m all for OSHA getting involved if they need to, safety is important. I don’t feel like I need to pay for union representation to get safe working conditions.

I’m not anti-union, they have their place, I don’t think Target is one of them.

I work in the same store as the OP and in my opinion he only sought a job at Target to push his agenda and stir up trouble. He’ll use any situation he can to further his agenda and I find him to be disingenuous, at best.

Last edited:
Well, as a fellow team member at his store, all I can say is “I wish” which is how of many, many, many of his peers feel. The environment he’s created in the store actually rivals the feelings that the old STL created. So many of us are stressed about the nonsense he dreams up and worry about him trying to drag the store (and us along with it) through another issue, real or imagined. (Sorry, but the whole STL thing could’ve been handled through a complaint to corporate. He deliberately chose to get a job at Target to get a foothold so he could push HIS agenda.)

As a co-worker he does his job and I have no complaints about how he works.

As a person, I think he’s obnoxious, untrustworthy, and disingenuous, someone who uses other people’s feelings and problems to push his own agenda; His passion for trying to unionize (yeah, yeah, “worker committee.”) is better suited to places that actually need it.
Does he still print the monthly newsletter?

Does he still print the monthly newsletter?
No, it wasn’t very well received as it was less about team members and more about organizing and promoting his workers committee. Most team members who were here through his strike do not trust him, we tolerate him at work because he works when he’s at the store. If he’s in the break room while you’re in the break room, he’ll usually start talking about how workers have to unite and how bad corporations are with wages, etc. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It gets old, I’d rather hear about how cute your dog is or what kind of hobbies you have than listen to that every shift we work together.

Last edited:
T1040 has a union works committee, guaranteed 40 hour work weeks and extensive healthcare. They also have massages in their break-room and cater food for every meal.. This of course is all thanks to their union workers committee.

I worked for a company that was part union. Non union workers “filled in” when union workers were striking, striking in sympathy or otherwise unavailable. No tensions there.

T1040 has a union works committee, guaranteed 40 hour work weeks and extensive healthcare. They also have massages in their break-room and cater food for every meal.. This of course is all thanks to their union workers committee.

Brian and all his upper management allies have guaranteed paychecks, golden parachutes worth hundreds of millions, extensive healthcare, and are destroying the company inside out. But heaven forbid little old me who actually interacts with the guest one to one ask for anything.

Isn't it odd though that CEO's in general negotiate their pay through contracts but if I wanted that with other workers, it's verboten? Isn't that odd?

Brian and all his upper management allies have guaranteed paychecks, golden parachutes worth hundreds of millions, extensive healthcare, and are destroying the company inside out. But heaven forbid little old me who actually interacts with the guest one to one ask for anything.

Isn't it odd though that CEO's in general negotiate their pay through contracts but if I wanted that with other workers, it's verboten? Isn't that odd?

It's not forbidden, you're probably just being a pussy. Always be your own best advocate.

1. We interviewed our fellow Target team member Joseph Viramontez who is a six year veteran with mega backroom skills currently working at Target store #2320 in Dickinson, Texas. Joseph is engaging in protected concerted activity by speaking out on his team’s work conditions and what they want to see changed in-store and corporate-wide.

Joseph V: "The jobs aren’t that bad in my experience. It’s the “leadership”. They all want to be corporate pleasers vs doing the things to make the company more successful. They’re trying so hard to be the BEST everything store. They forget that happier team members work harder. Help us and we help you! We matter. We’re the biggest moving part. And if we all stopped one day then they would see. Hopefully things don’t have to go that far. We just want to be heard. We want to be taken care of."

For the full interview read here

Lots of complaints, no solutions

Having worked in a union company, I can tell you it’s worthless. Company I’m at was suppose to have a new contract in August but it’s now 5 months later and still haven’t approved a new deal. They have a 5 year deal each time so they had plenty of time to negotiate a new deal. They are withholding millions of dollars in back pay because the pay raises were suppose to go in effect August 1 and no matter when the contract gets approved we are suppose to get retro pay. Most employees are paying the union to do their job and they are failing to deliver.

So when it comes time for the election of officials for your union run for office.
My wife wasn't happy with direction her union was going (teachers) locally and did just that.
It is actually a whole lot easier than you might expect.

You can also serve on the committees, like the one negotiating the contract.
That is just a matter of volunteering and they really want volunteers.
The union isn't some completely separate monolith.
It is made up of the same people you work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back